Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Sci-Fi Channel's "Flash Gordon" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sci-Fi Channel's "Flash Gordon"
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, did anyone else watch the premiere of the new Flash Gordon series? Okay, I realize they want to keep costs down, so that's part of why we don't see any rockets and such, but I came away from that with a resounding "meh". It just didn't capture my attention and imagination very much.

Understandably, character development is going to be a bit light since they have to introduce everything. But one person that should have had an immediate effect and presence was Ming. He just didn't seem all that, well, merciless. (And I swear that minon/interrogator of his had a Segway hidden under his cloak!)

Also, Flash's mother - not unless she was 12 when she had Flash!

Admittedly, the style (and campiness) of the 1980 is a hard act to follow, but they could do with a little more flair in the Mongo designs even if they're going with a serious tone.

I might stick around for a few more episodes, just to make sure they get into their stride, then we'll see where we are.

Thoughts?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah the fight scenes were pretty lame, especially the battle with the robot. I thought it should have been more intense.

About the lack of rockets, I think that was a creative decision by the writers. Although, I feel that spacecraft have to show up at some point.

Finally about Ming, his character was changed to resemble modern dictators like Saddam. Yet, I miss the Fu Manchu look.

Theres potential there, but they have to find it quick.

Oh yeah I almost forget, where's the "Flash, Ah-hah" theme?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My "meh" was more "meh" than yours, a very dull "meh". I did expect a bit (lot) more stuff going on, but, no, I ended the show thinking, "WTF did I bother with this for?"

I agree about the characters, Ming shouldn't look like he stepped off the Buck Rodger's set, and Flash's dad was a lucky man indeed.

I am iffy on whether or not I'll sit through next weeks epi or not. I'll tape it and fast forward through it if I do.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've not watched it yet. It's recorded though!

Too bad it wasn't all that good. I was looking forward to it. I'll still watch it though.

I've had an idea kicking around for a while now about Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. Who do I need to talk to to sell these ideas?

My Flash Gordon idea is so radical though that no one would do it. Probably too expensive too.

My idea - Mongo is a giant cloud/Dyson sphere of sorts somewhat like V'ger. This cloud journeys from system to system devouring whole worlds. A large portion of the inhabitants of these worlds die in the process, but large samples of plant, animal and sentient life are transported to the inside of Mongo. Special habitats are constructed inside Mongo that reflect the varied habitats and envirornments of the native world.

So Mongo is sorta like a giant intergalactic zoo.

The Mongolians are an advanced race of beings that are really way beyond our level. Most of the species they capture are little more than animals to them. Some of the Mongolians, like Aura do take an interest in the beings living inside Mongo, but the vast majority give them scarcely a thought.

Flash Gordon is an astronaut sent to intercept or investigate this cloud as it approaches Earth. Dale Arden is a high-profile journalist sent on the mission to cover the story. Hanz Zarkof is an astronaut scientist stationed on the ISS. All three (and a few redshirts) are transported to Mongo as it consumes the Earth.

Yes, consumes. As in the Earth is destroyed.

The series would feature Flash, Dale and Zarkov trekking across Mongo, uniting the warring factions inside the cloud, searching for and finding the last remnants of Earth and Human civilization, and making a new life for themselves inside the Mongo cloud. Possibly overthrowing Ming and the Mongolians in the process.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad - kinda like "Titan A.E." meets that 1970s SF show about a bunch of backwards tribes unknowingly living insides habitat domes of a huge spaceship, or something.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don;t like "Mongolians." Mongs just work...I'd say "Mongoloid" for the retard implications, but it's also the same as Mongolian.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, and I've not watched the show yet to see how they refer to them.

The drawback of a franchise so old that it intentionally drew from racially charged names.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mongoid. Mongoo.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candygram for Mongoo?

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mongo only pawn... in game of life.
Shik
Member # 343

Awwww....Mongo STRAIGHT!

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also a computer program.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's also a computer program.
They never said that in Blazing Saddles! Get with the program! [Big Grin]
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT's HEADLY!!!!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Any thoughts on the first real episode? I thought it was a little better than the pilot, since they have more time for story without all the backstory stuff. But I still think they have a way to if the show's going to survive.

Does anyone know who's in charge of this show? Have they done anything that we might be able to look at to help see where this is going?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps