Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Random SGA Musings (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Random SGA Musings
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a typical limitation of Sci-Fi shows, though - a bunch of heroes come accross a planet, and EVERYONE THERE agrees on everything. Thus, the plot becomes between the ethics or morality of our heroes, and those of the alien-of-the-week. The variation therefore comes when an opposing force is revealed to have multiple factions. Stargate did this admirably with the Goa'uld system lords, crafting a very textured adversary with multiple leaders and levels under each one.

This has not happened as much (yet) with the various foes on Atlantis - the Wraith have factions but they're all the same in looks and goals, and the Asurans are a unified mind. The addition of Michael to the Wraith, and the various political machinations of the Genii have been pretty fun.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one big thing I liked about Babylon 5 - the different races were far from being homogeneous.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Oh?

Among my many critcisms of B5, is that the races were SO homogenous, it got severely annoying. The Humans, Centauri, Minbari and Narn were relatively multi-faceted, but basically everyone else was of the "one species, one voice" variety. Also, within a given episode, most of the "big four" were guilty of the "I speak for us ALL!" mentality - and a huge pet peeve of mine, the one actor of a given race who makes decisions for a crowd of like-minded people without discussing it, even when he's surrounded by his own people. >.<;;

Mark

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that case, I shall have to kill you.
Shall I?
Oh, I don't think so.
Well, what do I think?
I think kill him.
Oh, lets be nice to him.
Oh shut up!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Green! Purple!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Green! Purple!
The exception that proves the rule.

The first-season episode that had Sinclair introducing all of the human religious representatives comes to mind as being an alien monoculture episode.

Of course, B5 had more cultural diversity among the alien races than Star Trek does.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The exception that proves the rule? Next you'll be telling us the proof is in the pudding.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmmm..... pudding..... *drool*
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the proof is in the Spoo.

Anyway, if that's the exception then what about the Mimbari? Not one, but three distinct and socially separate communities with their own traditions, attitudes and prejudices.

For that mattter what about humanity? As you point out, B5 did a very good job at shoing that Earth wasn't USA in spaaaaaaace...Now, if there's one race that most other sci-fi shows portray as monolithic and lacking in diversity, it's Humans. I mean, how often did trek REALLY show any diversity beyond superficially casting different ethnicities, here and there. Everyone still spoke with an american accent, nobody displayed much in the way of cultural heritage. The only exceptions being Sisko's African artifacts and Kim having a nagging dominating mother.

quote:
The first-season episode that had Sinclair introducing all of the human religious representatives comes to mind as being an alien monoculture episode.
I think you missed the part where they say it was supposed to be a demonstration of each rece's DOMINANT beliefs. Sinclair's stunt just showed that he's a little more broad minded than Londo, Delenn and G'Kar...big surprise.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Also, within a given episode, most of the "big four" were guilty of the "I speak for us ALL!" mentality - and a huge pet peeve of mine, the one actor of a given race who makes decisions for a crowd of like-minded people without discussing it, even when he's surrounded by his own people.

Except that that's the very definition of an ambassador, to speak for the group! Don't tell me that the United Nations represents each and every sub-culture around. Do Brooklyn, the Midwest, the Deep South, and California each have their own ambassador to the UN? No! The whole point is that the higher levels of power politics always will end up simplifying diversity.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going to put a representative in for every subculture, you might as well just open up voting to the general public. Which gets my vote!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

That's not what I mean. I'm talking (yet again, I know) about the awkward and oftimes cringe-worthy dialogue from jms. Scenes like this:

[Scene: Sheridan and a bunch of aliens in the corridors - always a great place to make political decisions. The alien ambassador stands in front of the people behind him, who look generally angry. He NEVER LOOKS AT THEM.]

Sheridan: I think what you're doing is wrong.

Ambassador: Well, we think what YOU'RE doing is wrong. Or gods/traditions/leaders/scarf colours tell us so.

Sheridan [speaking to the whole crowd]: Well, that's stupid, but fine. My dad/wife/alien hottie/drill sergeant once did something that can help. All of you will suddenly change your minds according to this idea I just whipped up.

Ambassador [Who STILL doesn't look at the people he's representing, even if they're nodding in agreement]: Very well. But because of this, WE have several conditions before we do anything. And here they are.

Sheridan: Wait a second, you're not even going to consult the people standing behind you before changing your minds based on a barely-relevant anecdote I used to come up with a plan?

Ambassador: No.

Sheridan: Why not?

Ambassador: They're extras. They're not paid to speak, or even look at you.

[Aliens nod in agreement, then start to disperse on their own without talking to anyone]

Sheridan: I'll insert a tagline here.

Ambassador: I'll reply with an expression prefaced with "As you humans say...".

[Exeunt]

Awkward, awkward dialogue. Also, lack of speaking incidental characters, another consequence of a low-budget show, was all too obvious most of the time. The lack of ambient chatter from these extras (B5 sound mixing was often atrocious, even for its budget) hurt, too.

Mark

[ September 28, 2007, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Ok, where here...

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Yeah. Oh?

Among my many critcisms of B5, is that the races were SO homogenous, it got severely annoying. The Humans, Centauri, Minbari and Narn were relatively multi-faceted, but basically everyone else was of the "one species, one voice" variety. Also, within a given episode, most of the "big four" were guilty of the "I speak for us ALL!" mentality - and a huge pet peeve of mine, the one actor of a given race who makes decisions for a crowd of like-minded people without discussing it, even when he's surrounded by his own people. >.<;;

Mark

Do you mention bad dialogue?

Anyway, off the top of my head I can only think of ONE instance where Sheridan confronted an ambassador and a mob in the corridor like that and it was right after he came back from the dead and mate, if you're going to criticise the dialogue, at least give a direct quote.

As for why everyone in a crowd agreeing with their Ambassador, remember that he is THE local leader of that particular species and is already a recognised spokesperson of their government.
Do you think the Drazi Ambassador consults the local Drazi shopkeepers on the latest trade deals or takes a vote when enforcing policy? Doubtful. Besides, if they disagreed with him then they wouldn't be in his mob in the first place.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I know I'm going to get flayed raw for this, but...I have never, not once, seen a single minute of Babylon 5. I can't recall it ever being *on* whilst flipping channels. I have a friend that's crazy about it, so crazy he once built a 3.5 foot long model of something called the Whitestar out of Lego bricks...with no plans or kit or anything.

So...is it worth getting into, or isn't it?

I giggle at "If they didn't agree with him, they wouldn't be in his mob."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps