Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Writers Strike (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Writers Strike
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do know that there's a strike going, which will most like cause some of our favorite shows to get cut short this year.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/11/03/strike-may-cut-heroes-season-in-half-lost-and-bsg-also-effected/

This is especially troubling to Heroes and BSG fans.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, that actually explains why there's rumblings about Sci-Fi breaking up the last season of BSG into two parts, and airing the second half of season 4 in 2009. *sigh*

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It also seems that Heroes is not doing so good, so that maybe that season 2 finale might become a series finale. *aargh*
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Series finale!?! WTF!?! What is WRONG with you people in the US - watch this bloody show!! If Earth: Final Conflict can get 5 seasons then this show should. Sheesh!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like it or not, there is a good reason for the strike. Basically they're trying to stop the studio's from eliminating the residuals (which are like royalties, from what I gather) and for some writers the only thing keeping them afloat between scripts. Don't take my word for it though, JMS had a rant about it on his message board.

Instead of whining that we're going to miss our favourite shows, lets show a little solidarity for the people who create the shows in the first place not to loose their lively hood.

Sure, it's nice to be entertained, but not at the cost of another person's primary source of income.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah! If they wanted to make a living they shouldn't have been writers! jk, jk...
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious. I had heard nothing about the elimination of residuals. Everything I've heard has been about the writers wanting a portion of the revenue from digital downloads of their episodes/movies, which caused the studios to balk, claiming that they don't even have projections yet for what they're going to be getting from that medium to be able to calculate how much the writers should get. And point out that SAG/AFTRA haven't threatened to strike for actors' residuals.

As for ratings... Unfortunately, one cannot apply to be a Nielson Family. It is offered randomly, and evidently not enough Nielson Families are watching Heroes, despite the fact that everyone I know does. It is, I think, the strongest show NBC has right now, and the only one of their shows that I watch.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a Nielson house for a week in the offseason...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family once got the booklet to be a Nielson household, but we just kind of looked at each other and then threw it away.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Series finale!?! WTF!?! What is WRONG with you people in the US - watch this bloody show!! If Earth: Final Conflict can get 5 seasons then this show should. Sheesh!

Have you seen this season? I was blown away by the first season, but the first six episodes this year have really disappointed me. In a way, I'm hoping the writers strike will disrupt it(but not completely scrub out the rest of season 2) for long enough for the producers to see all the criticism and pull it together.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree, I think the second season is shaping up much like the 1st, with bug all happening for a long stretch (yet still somehow managing to be engaging) with the odd mini-mystery & plot twist added here and there. If anything the second season is moving faster than the first did to me.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Nielsen".
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I don't agree, I think the second season is shaping up much like the 1st.

That's the problem entirely. Rather than building on the success and momentum of the first season and raising the stakes, they've reverted back to the slow pace of the beginning of the series. They're even reusing plot elements. Season 1: Hiro accidentally transports himself into the future and witnesses the devastation of NY, setting up the Heroes mission. Season 2: Peter accidentally transports himself into the future and witness the devastation of NY, setting up the Heroes mission. Not to mention that Sylar seems to be back to square one, possibly about to build up a new collection of powers.

Meanwhile, we see new characters asking old questions. "I feel like I'm meant for something more in life!", "Why do I have these powers?". We've seen this before.

Thankfully, Tim Kring claims the next few episodes are the best they've ever written. Fingers crossed he's right. Hopefully we'll find out why the gang apparently dispersed after the fight with Sylar, rather than introducing themselves to eachother and sharing info.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well that's a matter of opinion. If they came screaming out of the starting gate and blew the proverbial wad in the first few episodes then that would make it very difficult to sustain throughout the year and it leaves them in a difficult position to top themselves for the end of the season.
Having said that I don't see how else they cuold have proceeded. For starters we need to see how the dust is settling after the "bomb" story was wrapped up, establish that three characters that we thought were dead (probably, anyway) are alive and well, mostly and establish some new characters and their abilities. That's how it works in storytelling I'm afraid, both in comics (in which the series is modelled) and in literature. If every episode had a dramatic revelation then it'd turn into a soap opera, likewise if it was all action then it'd just be come a mindless show about superheroes beating on each other.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

They've become desperate.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps