Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Heroes 2x08 - Four Months Ago $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ Heroes 2x08 - Four Months Ago $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's try posting while I watch...

Teaser:

Peter blows up, Nathan burns, Peter flies back and picks him up, takes him to a hospital where he gets zapped by Elle & Bob...

Alejandro was married! His new bride cheats on him, on their wedding night, with her ex boyfriend. Maya sees, goes apeshit and kills the whole village. She takes off into the night...

DL survives! Interesting..

Act 1:

Bob wants to give Peter the virus to take away Peter's powers. Research on this "vaccine" was started 30 years ago.

Man.... Nathan got crisped really bad...

Bob paid for DL's surgery... He sure comes across as some kind of benevolent figure cleaning up Linderman's mess, as he says to Nikki.

The "vaccine" takes the form of pills, rather than the injection that Nikki ends up taking four months later.

How is it that Elle's powers work but not Peter's? Also, she has some kind of creepy crush on Peter..

Adam is in the room next to Peter's at some kind of hospital. Doesn't exactly seem like high security, given the apparent risk he poses.

Act 2 - Three months ago:

DL, Micah and Nikki seem to have the perfect family... Nikki is taking medication, but it seems to be adversely affecting her moods. And then she dumps them all down the sink....

Adam has been trying to get Peter to talk for the past month.... finally cracks through.

Two months ago...

"Not in the mood today, Elle"? She seems to get off on zapping people. Sociopath with paranoid delusions?! Twenty-four years old and no dates... She's been living in the institution for 16 years. Adam warns him to stay away from Elle...

Adam has been in there for 30 years and they've been days away fom a cure since he first arrived. "You think this is a hospital? Look around, its a prison! Don't believe me? Try to get out.."

Act Three:

Angela comes up with some bullshit story to explain everything to Heidi... and she seems to believe it.

Nikki has a job selling cars... A new personality has come to surface: Gina. And Gina has taken control, heading to LA...

Peter wants to go visit his family, tries to talk Bob into it, but Bob won't let him leave.

Adam supposedly tried to take his ability public. His blood can cure others, and he wanted to help people. Tells Peter he can cure Nathan with a small amount of his blood. They hatch a plan to escape.

DL is a firefighter! Apparently he was trying to live life without his powers until one fire he dashes into a burning house to save a kid...

Act Four - One Month Ago:

Apparently the escape plan involes Peter coming on to Elle.... can't say I blame him! Rawr.

Meds don't work so well... Peter phases through the wall to get to Adam's room, then they phase out of the building altogether.

Maya joined a convent. Alejandro finds her, brings in the police. She does her thing again and kills them. Alejandro discovers he can cure the plague Maya creates. And then they're on the run...

Gina's in LA, partying it up and having a good time, taking some decidedly different medication... DL has tracked her down, shows her a picture and Gina goes away... In the meantime DL pisses a guy off that ends up shooting him before he can phase...

Act Five - Three Weeks Ago:

DL's funeral, Bob shows up. Uhura and the kids are there.

Peter and Adam visit Nathan, Adam injects Nathan with his blood. Nathan heals instantaneously. Adam provides Peter with a passport and plane ticket, tells him to meet at the warehouse in Montreal. The Haitian and Elle show up. The Haitian goes after Peter, locks him in a container, gives him the necklance and erases his mind, telling him to start a new life.

Now what is Adam up to?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *missed* it! Damn...got absorbed in what I was doing and forgot to watch the clock. Have to wait until it's up on NBC.com now [Frown] (
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can make up for it next week. I won't be able to post after watching due to lack of internet access where I'll be staying. [Smile]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How is it that Elle's powers work but not Peter's?"

I would assume the Haitian can target his power-dampening powers when there's more than one person around. Has there been anything to refute that?

"A new personality has come to surface: Gina. And Gina has taken control, heading to LA..."

I do like the explanation of Niki's power : that some people can't deal with having powers, so they develop a split personality. I always thought it seemed odd that her power would be "having a second personality who is super-strong". Instead, it is the much more reasonable "super-strength, which her addled brain has compartmentalized into a second personality".

"Meds don't work so well... Peter phases through the wall to get to Adam's room, then they phase out of the building altogether."

Meds don't work so well... when he stops taking them for five days running.

"The Haitian goes after Peter, locks him in a container..."

Wasn't the container supposed to contain something the Irish wanted? Before, it sounded like someone took it out and put Peter in there. Now we know it was empty all along. What's the deal?

And does anyone else get the impression that Peter's shirtlessness in the first episode of the season was just something they threw in for fun? And now, when they needed to make him go from shirted to shirtless, they just decided to have his shirt burst into flames for no real reason? After all, Elle's zaps haven't set anyone else alight.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know that sometime after locking Peter in the cargo container that the Haitian contracts the virus, is cured by Mohinder and then joins Bennett in his cause to overthrow the Company.

The reason for Nathan's beard was to hide his presumed facial scars.

Nathan's wife left him, took the kids and told the school Nathan wasn't allowed near them because she (apparently) believed the story about him being nuts. On the other hand, I was suspicious of the way Heidi looked at Mamma Paterlli while she was being told the story.

Just a nit: firefighter's don't work at the department like it's a day job and then come home in the evening. They work 24 hours on and then off 48 hours. Even when covering for other people and trading shifts they trade the whole shift.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Hm. Guess I must have missed the bit where he expunged the pills. Damn cat distracted me (the keyboard is NOT a sleeping mat!).

--------------------

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm betting he forged the thing saying what was in the container. There are still all those pesky regulations about human transport to consider...

And all I want to say is: HA HA HA I WAS RIGHT ABOUT PETER'S MEMORY LOSS.

One of these days I'm going to make an entire post without editing it.

Also, was D.L.'s death really just awfully pointless? I mean, look at all the shit he survives, only to get whacked by some asswipe in a club. (Sure, it has the point of getting Niki into the company and Micah into New Orleans, but still.) Reminiscent of an event in that one bit of Trek apocrypha. You know the one. That awful Riker & Troi holodeck episode. (Don't say the name; it only gets its attention and makes it mad.)

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did Mohinder's sister die? As Bob said they were doing research on the virus 30 years ago but they stopped. I'm thinking that Mohinder's sister was the reason they stopped.

Maybe Adam/Kensei did something that made them stop the research as he said he'd been in there 30 years too. Then they locked him up for it.

Also do you think Adam was the name he was born with? As I can't remember Kensei being called anything other than Kensei back in olden day Japan.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was just a few months before Mohinder was born, as I recall.

--------------------
--R. Buckminster Fuller

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they tried using the Shanti virus to suppress the powers, but it mutated somehow, perhaps it came in contact with Adam/Kensai.

As for Angela Petrelli, I'm really starting to believe her's is the power of persuasion, or at least the power of suggestion. When she spoke to Heidi seamed to imply as much anyway.

Also, in "Five Years Gone" I believe we did indeed see Parkman able to use his ability around the Haitian, while others were being suppressed.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember last week when I said my pet theory was that Angela could make people do what she wanted by touching them? [Smile] There was certainly a lot of emphasis on her touching Heidi as she convinced her of the story about the Petrelli men having mental disorders.

I also like how that tied in with her claims to Peter in the first season that Mr.Petrelli had attempted suicide several times.

Anyway, another good episode. I'm glad they explained what Nathan's visions of the scar were about and it was interesting to get some back story on Elle. I didn't really like how they dealt with DL though. I prefered it when I thought he'd died heroically saving the world, rather than just saving Niki's slutty alter ego.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I kind of like it when things like that happen. In real life, people don't die heroically just because they're named cast - there are no named cast. 99% of deaths are stupid, senseless, lonely affairs... I like verisimilitude in my escapist entertainment. It helps with the suspension of disbelief. (This was also my reaction to Carson's death...I loved that guy, but that's why it was so powerful when they wrote him off like that. But he sort of did die a hero's death, I guess.)

I'm wondering why in the hell Nathan was lying in that hospital room burned up like that!! People with those kinds of burns over that much of the body can't be exposed to pathogens. They're kept in a surgically clean isolation ward. (Although AFIK they don't cocoon them in bandages anymore - gets in the way of debriding the skin.) Also, third (possibly fourth, in places, from the looks of it) degree burns hurt. A *lot.* Someone with burns over that much of their body (looked like 70-80%) would be kept in a chemically induced coma so they wouldn't have to feel the pain.

I think the shrinks were quite right, Elle is a sociopath. But maybe it's not her fault; being locked up for 16 years because she's dangerous might mold a personality that believes it should be dangerous. Or maybe she just happened to be both destructive and psycho at the same time. Or, maybe it's more support for Hopeful's theory that the abilities seem to go with the personality - she has a destructive ability and a destructive personality.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent how they showed the Peter/Nathan flying circus. Here's my observations/questions:
  • Nathan now has Adam/Kensei's blood running through his veins. Will he be able to heal forever now or will the effect dissipate because he isn't actually producing replacement blood?
  • D.L. reacted very quickly to the dude trying to punch him by phasing but freezes up when the gun is pulled? Seems a little hinky.
  • I still say Angela's power is to cause all men's testes to shrivel, retract and neutralize all testosterone.
  • We know the Haitian got sick sometime after Peter became cargo, but who is the carrier? Our choices at this point seem to be Niki, Peter, or Adam.
  • Peter could heal before (Claire) but what about now that he has been in contact with Kensei? Does he now have HIS immortality as well?
  • Kensei said "Let's change history". Great.....what PART is he wanting to change?
  • Petey could walk through walls after 5 days without meds. Will Sylar have his powers back in that same timeframe?
  • Adam seems to have shifted the focus of his anger to the Company instead of Hiro. Could they renew their friendship and take out the company together?
  • Maury was supposedly working with/for/under Adam. So where's he been for 30 years while Adam was locked up? Did they communicate through dreams? Or was the splintering of the company that long ago?
  • Anyone else get the feeling that Bob is about to show his true colors?
  • Did anyone else see the way Bob noticed Monica when he first saw her after dropping Niki off? Like he sensed she had abilities?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I'm in the "Claire has a duplicate of Kensei's powers" camp, so I figure she's immortal too (and then so is Peter). So her blood would also heal someone.

Also, something I forgot to mention before, it now appears that people with healing abilities can repair their memory after the Haitian has fucked with it. This would seem to indicate that his power doesn't do something functional - ie, mess with their *mind* so that they can't remember - but rather something physical, damaging the neurons/synapses/brain structures responsible for storing a particular memory. This again makes me want to bring up the fact that he apparently has two completely separate and unique powers - the power of memory erasure and the power of power suppression. I'd love to see them explain how those two powers are related...

Edit: I guess this resolves the debate about how Peter remembered his mom in the previous episode - he thought about her and healed the memory. Don't know why that didn't heal the whole shebang though.

And relating to what I originally posted about the Haitian, I remember someone positing that his suppression sort of suppresses the memory of how to use their powers. I'm going to post my two rebuttals in advance of that being brought up:

1) The Haitian's memory erasure is permanent. If he erases your memory, you don't get it back (unless you're a lucky fool with a healing power). However, as soon as he leaves the area, everyone can use their powers again.

2) More telling - he erased Peter's memory, but Peter could still use his powers. And he erased pretty much *everything,* so he'd have to have purposely left the powers intact - or, his suppression power has nothing to do with memory. I think the latter makes more sense, because it makes sense that these abilities would come from a part of the brain that has nothing to do with memory (like ingrained tasks and reflexes come from a different part, and so does language, and so on). I think he can only affect factual/experience memory. (Also, it would have been really foolish for him to leave a being as powerful as Peter with total amnesia but still able to manifest deadly powers such as plasma, TK, EMP, telepathy, invisibility...and even the more benign abilities like healing and painting the future could be dangerous. Not to mention space-time jumping - after all, look what happened! ;-))

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

Right. I'm thinking the memory loss and power dampening are two separate effects. Judging from Monday's episode, when the Haitian removes memories, it causes Eternal Sunshine-style brain damage, which for most people is untreatable. But with other people's powers, his just being there and perhaps focusing on the person dampens the powers.

Also, so far I think we've only seen him dampen active powers (TK, flight, telepathy, persuasion). I wonder what if anything he'd be able to do with the more passive powers like Charlie's memory or Dale's hearing.

--------------------
--R. Buckminster Fuller

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps