Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Stargate: The Ark of Truth $$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Stargate: The Ark of Truth $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless they placed artificial limits on their population.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is possible. We know they seeded both galaxies with human life, so their desire to populate wasn't limited to their own reproduction. But they may have had reasons for wanting to keep the population of actual Alterans limited.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it- good contunity and a nice cinematic feel (particularly the fades from one scene to the next).
There are several gaps between this and the series' end though- the sudden quest for yet another Altaran artifact foe example.

Still, fun on a bun and the Replicators were cool- as they should be: no silly "humanform" nonsense.
Metal bugs baby!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will say that it benefited from a second viewing following directly on the heals of Season 10. It was alot better when I looked at it as another episode. But yes... the sudden appearance of another weapon (as opposed to the Clava Thesaura Thingamajiggy) was a little weird though. Trying to fill it in by saying "Oh, by the way, Daniel had another Merlin vision and they hatched this whole plan while you weren't watching" didn't really do it for me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer an earlier question, the bridge on a Daedalus class ship IS in the forward section - putting it up in the tower in this movie is an error. You can see the bridge "bump" in this pic of the official CG model:

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/wallpapers/stargate/gilles_nuytens/stargate_23_1600x1200.jpg

The forward section has windows to match the set, and we HAVE seen at least one episode where Colonel Caldwell is looking out of the window over the forward sections missile launchers. Now, there IS a similar bank of windows up in the tower, so there may be a second or "flag" bridge up there that our heroes could have used... But somehow I think it more likely that it's just an FX error.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, it really does look like there's a set of windows in the tower that looks like the one on the bridge bulge. But I'm more than willing to agree that the bridge is up front especially if we've seen more convincing evidence. Just because the camera chose to cut away at a certain point doesn't really mean anything.

That's a sweet pic, btw. New desktop.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I will say that it benefited from a second viewing following directly on the heals of Season 10. It was alot better when I looked at it as another episode. But yes... the sudden appearance of another weapon (as opposed to the Clava Thesaura Thingamajiggy) was a little weird though. Trying to fill it in by saying "Oh, by the way, Daniel had another Merlin vision and they hatched this whole plan while you weren't watching" didn't really do it for me.

They did actually fill that bit in, though it was a bit of a blink-and-you-missed-it type reference. Daniel mentioned he's been having the Merlin (Le Fey) visions for a while now, hence them looking for the thing.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yah, but I guess my bigger problem is that they built the Key to Infinite Treasure up so much that it's obvious it was important, but then just dropped it. Unless it figures into Continuum somehow...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was on TV last night, so that saves me the price of a dvd / the arse numbing wait for it to torrent.

I liked it. I quite enjoyed Unending, but this was a far better way to end the show. On the whole most of it worked, and it did wrap up most of the loose ends.

Trouble is, it felt like they'd done it all before. The replicators were cool, but pointless, and 90 minutes just wasn't long enough for all of them to get a proper bit of the action.

Still, I'll probably buy for completeness at some stage. After I finish buying my DS9 set. All this sci fi and so little shelf space. Moving back home is a nightmare!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Yah, but I guess my bigger problem is that they built the Key to Infinite Treasure up so much that it's obvious it was important, but then just dropped it. Unless it figures into Continuum somehow...

True, but to be fair they didn't expect that they'd be cancelled at the end of season 10 and thought they'd have a whole season to sort things out.
Compressing twenty two forty minute episodes of story into a ninety minute movie is an unenviable task on the best of days.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In relation to the location of the bridge on the Daedalus and in Star Trek vessels - if I ever design a space ship, please, remind me not to freaking expose the bridge to enemy fire.

I've often wondered why the hell they did it that way in Star Trek - with that viewscreen they certainly don't need windows, so, what? They just like being at the Top Of The Ship? (hehehe Reed's line in ENT...)

Also, I've wondered why they opted for windows on the Daedalus instead of a huge screen. Surely it'd make *far* better sense to use a screen? They'd be thousands of klicks away from most vessels, battles, planets, etc...you wouldn't see diddly shit through a window.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have better eye sight in the future.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Argument invalid: Stargate is set in the present [Wink]
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

they may not have advanced enough visual sensors to create viewscreen images. Sure they can receive communications on screen, but it's different.

The reason (that's been stated) as to why it doesn't matter if bridges are outboard is this: if the shields go down, you're screwed anyway. Energy weapons tend to cut right through the hull, so no matter where the bridge is, you'd be hosed.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it stands, you only really expose the bridge crew to sunburn. Remember when the Daedalus deflected a really conveniently-placed solar flare? Without sunglasses? -_-;;

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps