Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Knight Rider $$Pilot Spoilers$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Knight Rider $$Pilot Spoilers$$
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing since nobody's started a thread, noone really gives a crap.

I didn't think it totally sucked. The car's cool. I liked the little shots of the original car laying around the warehouse, though it begs the question, what happened to the original KITT? He could've been put in another car or even in something else I suppose.

This series seems to be ignoring the TV movie, Knight Rider 2000, which is probably good since they assumed we'd all be super advanced and using cryo-prisons by then. However, if it does ignore it, then it leaves questions like the fate of Devon Miles and the Two Thousand open.

Hasslehoff's guest spot at the end was horrific. I wanted him to show up, but they just did it really badly. The LEAST they could've done was have him climb into a black car with a red sensor on the front. Just to leave some possibilities open. I mean, what? Is he just retired? He's gotta be doing *something* with FLAG still.

So ok... same deal as Bionic Woman: It's got five episodes to impress me, then I pull the plug.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed it for what it was: fun, mostly mindless entertainment. I think a lot of people are having the same issues with this as they are with re-imagined Transformers, in that they're remembering through rose-colored glasses. I watched the original KR when I was my son's age, and most of the story lines were pretty hokey.

That said, I only really had one problem with it. Why do you need the computer running to be bullet-proof? Seems like a downgrade from the original, which was just inherently bullet-proof. (And if this goes to series, I hope he gets a "Turbo Boost" button.)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original KR had new gadgets on KITT in practically every other episode, plus the very heavy overhauls it had now and again. Don't know why this car had no turbo boost, which was the signature move of the original, but it's got plenty of other stuff.

This new KITT's skin is made of a mimetic poly alloy (sic) that is shaped (and presumably strengthened by the computer running current through it - sorta like the most recent Batman's cape/wing thing. My bet is that they want to give KITT some form of vulnerability, thus incrasing tension. The original was almost TOO invulnerable sometimes, and saved the day as part of the formula. I guess this was a gimmick set to shake it up some.

One thing I *do* miss though is the characteristic red voice modulator of the original KITT. While the original modulator was a simple blinking light panel, the three bars of Kitt's speech were definitive. Here, KITT's voice is seen on a screen, but with "suporting" pictures relevant to whatever KITT's taling about. Reminds me of the Master Control Program from TRON, really...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
So ok... same deal as Bionic Woman: It's got five episodes to impress me, then I pull the plug.

I have a "three strike" system. That is if a new show makes me wish I didn't bother 3 episodes in a row, then it's bye bye. Bionic Woman came very close, but just about squeaked through. One hopes the strike has given time for the writers to fix some of the problems on what could be either a very good show or a very cancelled show. That's assuming they're getting picked up to continue filming. One assumes the networks are desperate for new material so it stands a good chance.

As for the new Knight Rider, I'm about to have a goosey right now.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that the standard industry form is "the first 6 episodes are the pilot."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but I'm not the industry. Seriously though, if I'm watching a show and for the third week running thinking I just wasted an hour, then I'm not going to stick around for the forth. Otherwise I'd be one of those people that bleats on about how crap a show is, yet continues to watch it week after week. I recall allot of that going on during the run of Voyager & Enterprise.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see this, but... it's made of a mimetic poly alloy? I think John and Sarah Connor might want to be hunting down this particular AI...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who missed it, it's re-broadcasting Saturday evening here in the U.S. Also, most of us should be able to watch it [url=]here[/url]. [Smile]

I think it has potential. The new Michael needs to clean up a little from the over-used Gen X "I can't be bothered to grrom myself" look. I like the inventor. One of the glittering gems of dialogue was when he was asked exasperatedly if he'd built it into another Trans-Am. "No, this one's a Mustang." *hee*

I like Val Kilmer as this new KITT's voice, but I also miss the original voice display. One thing I hope they change is the scanner. I think it would look better going all the way across through the upright, and then back, rather than the "cross-eyed" version they have now.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Ok, I've seen it and it is indeed good and true to it's origins. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the car itself, but that's probably more to do with growing up with the sleek look of the Transam than anything intrinsically wrong with the Mustang. I'm sure it will grow on me.

Val Kilmer did a good job here, I think. I'm glad they didn't give the car an 'edgy', aggressive attitude. KITT needs to be a good mix of deadpan, qualified confidence and to a point, slightly naive.

The music was a bit disappointing, though it started out like the old theme it lack that iconic melody, or submerged it in so much noise as to be unrecognisable. A good theme should be something you can hum to yourself!

As far as the Hoff's cameo goes, I think they did the right thing. If the series goes ahead then there's plenty of room to answer the obvious questions.

I really liked the twist at the end where you think he's backing down the ramp of what you'd assume is a truck like in the old show, only for it to turn out to be a Hercules.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scientist girl is a perfect meld of Cameron Diaz/Kirsten Dunst in look and ditziness, after she'd heard her dad was dead the first time she spent ten minutes wisecracking and joking with KITT while they where being chased by the former lead singer of Savage Garden. The writing isn't the best I've seen.

And the fight scenes between Darren Hayes and Mike "underwear model" Traceur where groan-worthy, reminded me of Kirk-vs-Gorn.
I started watching "Chuck" this week and the fights between his female CIA protector and others where so much better, and that series is a comedy! And the plot's more believable.

I like the mustang car, but to have every transition-scene they make on the road be filled with "edgy" closeups of the car's snake-logo, Mustang-logo, trunk-logo and hubcaps, it gets old fast. It's not even doing anything, it's just rolling forwards promptly!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to do a double-back on myself for that "twist" at the end. Before they opened the ramp, I was thinking that it *was* an airplane, because the interior was round and too big to be a truck. But then they opened the ramp, and we could see them "driving" down the road, so I thought "wait, it's not an airplane but a huge truck?" Then he backed out, and I saw I was right the first time. Although I question the ability of any C-130 to drive down any length of road without hitting a telephone pole or power line, it was a pretty cool twist on the original. At least now the team can be anywhere within a reasonable amount of time, and not be confined to SoCal.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda hope this will evolve into a good Team Knight Rider, projecting FLAG's mission into all corners of the country.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, the edgy close-ups got old. And the song was a little annoying. I'm hoping that both of these elements are just pilot-versions. The extreme letterboxing during the song looked cool at first, but I kept waiting for it to open up. I even found myself leaning forward to try and get a better view...

I miss KITTs voice modulator too. The wavy version they use here isn't as cool. But the interior of the car as a whole rocks. The dual sensors in front even grew on me.

One of the let-downs of the main character (aside from his dumb last name) is that there's relativly little mystery to him. They blew the connection to Hoff way too early. Michael Knight was the "man who does not exist". This guy is just an ex-ranger who needed cash. Let's just say they need to work on his back-story some.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Which reminds me; is Tracer's mother a character from the old series, or something they just made up? I haven't seen the series (beyond catching the odd glimpse on Bravo) since I was 10 and can't recall anything plot wise that could account for him having a son. Or is he technically Michael Long's son?

I agree, the dialogue is ropey in places and the "we've seen the Jason Bourne films" quick cutting was poorly done and over used. Hopefully this is just normal Pilot naffness and will improve in time.
I do wonder if Val Kilmer will stick with it if it becomes a series, I don't think I've ever heard of him working in TV land before.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, Michael had no shortage of female interests in the original show. Any one one of these could've gone R-rated at some point the cameras didn't catch. Presumably her last name was Traceur, either that or she changed her name, but I think they just made her up.

I don't know... Spending one day a week saying 10 minutes of lines in the same voice seems like a pretty juicy gig. I can't recall... did he even get a credit during the intro?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps