Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x01 He That Believeth In Me $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x01 He That Believeth In Me $$
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, good and bad are rather subjective concepts for a God. If you take the Greek myths about the Olympians at face value then they're all a bunch of psychotic murdering bastards who shag anything that isn't nailed down or on fire (and even then...) to say nothing of the dysfunctional family affairs (spot the incest pun.) And people say the Galactica cast are messed up. [Wink]
I doubt it'll be explored in the little time left, but there's a consistent pattern consisting of groups of twelve that keeps cropping up and I can't help but wonder what the connections are. Twelve Cylons, Twelve Lords, Twelve colonies and by extension the twelve constellations. Then there's little things like the names Leoben and D'Anna, which sounds allot like Diana, the Roman version of Artemis. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but then I look up Cavil and find it basically means "to criticise" and I have to wonder if the writers are being more deliberate with the names than we might think. Or not.

Still, back to the first point, we don't know exactly what the "Lords" were really about and what motivates their actions. The Lords could be every bit as "bad" as the Cylon God. On the other hand, if the hybrid really was the Cylon God (or had the Cylon God speaking through it) then you have to wonder who's really on what side.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am wondering if they will introduce the thirteenth of everything. They are chasing after the Thirteenth Tribe after all.

I have to admit that the tapestry of NuBSG is pretty good, and most episodes have been the same, barring this one, that seemed kind of flat.

I didn't see anyone mention Tye's little day dream. Bill would have had to get much better medical treatment than old Doc could provide. Maybe a Res. ship nearby?

In OrBSG were the 'Lords' the leaders of the tribe? Adama and Baltar were both 'Lords'.

I guess I'll have to rewatch the ep later today, just to see what I missed the first round.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I thought, "What a great time to die Bill." [Smile]
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adama getting shot was a great "WTF?!" moment to start the series with. Very well shot as well, with the speed ramping and the way the camera swung back to show him standing there again.

Also interesting to note that Tigh shot Adama's right eye, which is the same one he has lost. An eye for an eye? [Smile]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Exodus showed Adama getting all the credit for saving the day while Tigh was ignored. I always felt that must have bothered ol'one eye.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me or is it that it's Baltar's the religious leader who doesn't make it to safety... or that Dualla's the final model and that the Guardian Hybrid says this cycle repeats because it has happened before and will again like some sick cycle as humanity and Cylon live and die and start off the same way: with 12 colonies.

Don't mind me... I'm half asleep and isn't the Pyxis the same as that Pan Galactic ship but in Orange?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think TOS Adama and Baltar were Lords of Kobol. They were both on the ruling Council. I remember the episode (Hand of God) but not the dialog.

If I remember right the Lords of Kobol were like NuBSG - gods.

In TOS Kobol was a legend though. Thought of as a myth. in NuBSG they knew were Kobol was.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they knew where Kobol was so much as they stumbled upon it.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And likewise, it was a myth, just like Earth. Of course I'm sure religious types like Kara believed in it, but that's faith, not knowledge.

As for the cycle of time bit (a common concept in religion and Science fiction if you happen to be the last of the Brunnen-G) teh way I read it is that the 12 lord of Kobol created man and through whatever folly lost control of them and were destroyed. Now we have the 12 tribes creating Cylons and likewise through folly have been destroyed by them.
Here's a thought though, what if the 13th tribe wasn't a tribe of man but a tribe of "Gods"?
What if the Colonials alive today are the descendants of human form robots created on Kobol and it is in fact the Gods who were the original humans? That would suit the cycle concept a little better.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have gotten my wife completely hooked on I Can Has Cheezburger, as evidenced by her comment during the last scene:
 -
[Big Grin]

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
As for why they seam to be predisposed to side with the humans, perhaps the whole monotheistic, kill all humans trip is something the Seven came up with on their own, after the Five left.

I still wonder if there is something in the maths of it. The Cylons have been seen to operate on a consensus system - every model gets a vote and a course of action is decided upon that way. If you have 12 Cylon models and they voted on whether or not to kill the humans, you would need 7 models voting "yes" to carry the day...leaving 5 to (possibly) take up the human cause and remove themselves from Cylon society altogether. Something has to have caused the schism, after all.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
And likewise, it was a myth, just like Earth. Of course I'm sure religious types like Kara believed in it, but that's faith, not knowledge.

As for the cycle of time bit (a common concept in religion and Science fiction if you happen to be the last of the Brunnen-G) teh way I read it is that the 12 lord of Kobol created man and through whatever folly lost control of them and were destroyed. Now we have the 12 tribes creating Cylons and likewise through folly have been destroyed by them.
Here's a thought though, what if the 13th tribe wasn't a tribe of man but a tribe of "Gods"?
What if the Colonials alive today are the descendants of human form robots created on Kobol and it is in fact the Gods who were the original humans? That would suit the cycle concept a little better.

It would certainly resonate with the theme throughout the serious that humans are their own worse enemy. Though I don't think colonials need be descended from machines. Just as the Colonials excelled in cybernetics, the Gods could have excelled in genetics.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well, what is the definition of machine? Technically we're all machines, are we not? I get your point though, they don't have to have started out as toasters. Anyway from what I've heard about the new Caprica pilot !$poiler Alert! The Cylons didn't exactly start off as pure machines either.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Yeah, sorry, I should have been more careful with my words but I'm tired. In any case the plot for Caprica seems intriguing.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if they find Earth and the lone inhabitant is R. Daneel Olivaw?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps