Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Most recent few eps of Atlantis - any comments? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Most recent few eps of Atlantis - any comments?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got any opinions on the most recent couple of episodes of Stargate Atlantis?

I just watched the episode with Nicole DeBoer in it. Wasn't too bad. I like the All-sexy-female group! [Smile]

I liked Sergeant Dusty Mehra.

Who was the one who was in the first episode this season? One of them popped up out of no-where to go on the rescuse mission - and had that big-arse gun at one stage.

Still gotta watch the next two.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come back when you've seen the one with Janus's "unforseen side effects". That was fun.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like the all-sexy-female group. It felt like "dur look women soldiers we're hip and PC" to me. I also don't think any good female commander would purposely pick all women just so she could go "Ha ha, look, I picked the best team. Oh, wait, are they all women? Ha ha I didn't notice."

She's probably a lesbian. There I said it.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the character was portrayed by Christina Cox...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the real world; believe it or not, most of the dykes I've known and worked with tend not to prefer the company of pretty girls in the work place. They get surprisingly hostile and catty and prefer the company of men and ugly women. Don't ask me why, it's just there.

As for the all girl team, it didn't bother me and let's be honest, it it was an all male team of soldiers and scientists nobody would even notice.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Come back when you've seen the one with Janus's "unforseen side effects". That was fun.

The cliffhanger!?! I just watched it! What a RIPPER of a cliffhanger! OMG!!

I think that must be one of the best Atlantis cliffhangers. Not endings - the best ending would be the end of the replicator-melting-blob episode where Weir shows up in the debris of the Replicator homeworld.

Hmm that storyline had potential - but sorta went sucky this season.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Torri Higginson's feelings towards the show following her removal from the cast sorta prevented that. [Razz]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Actually I thought the other actress (forgot her name) did a reasonably good impersonation of Weir.
For a second there I wondered if they might bring back the original Weir actress and pretend that she always looked like that. [Wink]

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Back in the real world; believe it or not, most of the dykes I've known and worked with tend not to prefer the company of pretty girls in the work place. They get surprisingly hostile and catty and prefer the company of men and ugly women. Don't ask me why, it's just there.

As for the all girl team, it didn't bother me and let's be honest, it it was an all male team of soldiers and scientists nobody would even notice.

1) Aren't gay men the same way? I mean, don't they prefer the company of women to straight men? Sides, I was joking about the lesbian bit [Wink]

2) Because all-male teams are normal, though, which is why the all-female team bugged - it's out of the ordinary. In fact, in real life, aren't women barred from being front-liners? Unless they give them medical training and call them a nurse but give them a gun, or something like that. I dunno, this is all hearsay for me, from a woman who was a lieutenant in the Marines and then decided to teach English at the university level. And in any case Stargate's never held to that idea at all.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Edit window closed! Apologies myriad for double posting!

Saw the last two eps. Question: How the hell did the runner have the time to build those big-ass complicated traps? How long would it take you to affix that many spikes to various logs, let alone bury them in a hole, make them rotate freely, and add a roof?

Muahahah, subspace static, bad bad wormhole boom. This is actually a very cool idea and quite original. I especially liked the shield being used to contain the explosion; it sort of reminds me of a Yamato cannon from Starcraft.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
2) Because all-male teams are normal, though, which is why the all-female team bugged - it's out of the ordinary. In fact, in real life, aren't women barred from being front-liners? Unless they give them medical training and call them a nurse but give them a gun, or something like that. I dunno, this is all hearsay for me, from a woman who was a lieutenant in the Marines and then decided to teach English at the university level. And in any case Stargate's never held to that idea at all.
You did notice Carter carrying a gun yes? Also note she wasn't a nurse but (among other things) was a trained combat pilot.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

quote:
Originally said by me: And in any case Stargate's never held to that idea at all.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been a big fan of Atlantis lately, all women team episode included. As cute as Nicole DeBeor is...not so much.

And what was with bringing Beckett back for an episode and then just popping off again? Lame.

But tonight's episode, much better.

==SPOILERS==

Now there's a cameo worth it's salt.

I for one was a fan of Woolsey being put in charge of Atlantis. I thought it offered the chance to really shake things up while adding an element that every viewer could relate to. Who hasn't had a boss they couldn't stand and just didn't get the place they were supposed to be running? Imagine it, Michael Scott running an extra-galactic outpost! And from Woolsey's perspective, how must it feel to be a regular paper-pushing guy like him, suddenly thrust into leading a bunch of death defying action hero super geniuses? But, like Carter, we go whole episodes without seeing him at all, and when we do, little of that dynamic actually gets explored. It actually did in this last episode, to some extent, and not in a shallow jokey way that it has been touched on in the past.

Jewel Staite continues to be adorable without being Kaylee and adding a lot of likability and a compelling quality that is completely lacking from the character as written.

In this episode we actually make progress. It's felt like so many of these episodes have been place holders - and bad ones at that. Somehow, I imagine this is the episode that was at the beginning of the production line or close to it when word was handed down they were canned.

And things get shaken up. For a story to be compelling, it has to continually raise the stakes, which can be tough to do on an open ended show like this. But they finally did and did so wonderfully.

All enemies have to evolve, and the Wraith have actually done it rather compellingly in my opinion. Todd's moment, "What will we do? Who will we be?" was excellent.

Re: Daniel's line, "I'd hate to think this is what heaven looks like." Um, aren't you the one that's died half a dozen times over already? Shouldn't you have a pretty good idea about the afterlife at this point?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I think he was joking about the heaven thing...

I'm liking the effects a lot more since I started watching this in HD. The hyperspace window opening over the ocean surface (this is the first time we've seen a hyperjump in atmosphere isn't it??) was really cool, as was the detail of the Atlantis shield. I suppose it's always been that cool but I haven't been able to see it ;P

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really enjoyed the panouts to various portions of the city, too.

The good thing about this cliffhanger is that we only have to wait until 10 October to see the resolution... guess they're cutting back on the mid-season break to get the show done and over with... although, as per usual, important information is given away in the little plot blurbs; we know Shepherd survives.

The guys in the suits... Daniel was on to something. Maybe the suits are a way for the Ascended to interact on this plane?

And how much you wanna bet they're going to fly Atlantis to an unpopulated planet with a stargate and nick it?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps