Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Most recent few eps of Atlantis - any comments? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Most recent few eps of Atlantis - any comments?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Daedelus could just pick up a gate (once they deal with thier current situation). The gate might not be destroyed though - it takes a lot to physically destroy a Stargate.

Haven't read plot blurbs so didn't know Shepherd survived. Thanks. [Wink]

The panouts have been used before - was it the ?finale of season 2? the first time we saw them?

Are these new aliens in anyway similar to the aliens we saw in "The Daedelus Variations"?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOpe, not at all. The armor, tech, and the fact that they actually SPEAK are all giveaways. THey also usa ship which is very reminiscent of the puddle jumpers... I'm thinking they're also ancients of a sort. Perhaps they're sealed in their suits to stay away from their plague?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or they're somehow culturally related to the Ancients or the Ori, but are not Ancients physically. They could pass through the Atlantis shield, and as Female Technician noted, Ancient ships can do that (we saw it in the opening shot of the series premiere actually, when a jumper passed through the shield). I thought it was cool how they opened a window on the *other side* of the shield *before* passing through it, as if the shield's presence simply didn't matter to them. That's rather worrisome as (aside, as noted, from Ancient ships themselves) nothing has ever been shown to be able to penetrate an Ancient force field until it's depleted and shuts off. And I note the suited guy they shot to death had an arm-shield that was able to be depleted.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I think he was joking about the heaven thing...

Well, yes, but given the character the joke didn't fit very well. It would've been nice if his line was something like, "I don't think so, I don't remember the afterlife looking like this..."

I don't know, something like that, but maybe that would've been too much of an in joke that the casual viewer (are there any?) would've missed.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if you really want to pick that offhand joke apart, Daniel never really 'died', he ascended and even then he had his memories wiped of the experience.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, that all happened YEARS ago. He's been through much worse since. Like the time he had to read scripts for "Wormhole X-Treme!" the movie. That was far more painful!

Anyway, they've accidentally let the identity of the armored aliens slip on Gateworld, where they show one guy stepping out. I won't spoil it here - but blimey, I didn't see that one coming.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Furlings!?! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy shit! That's a big one, all right... never suspected! Makes a lot more sense...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...I can't find anything about it. How bout a link? That wouldn't ruin it for anyone who didn't click.
OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you all and your temptalizing.

Must...resist...

EDIT: Yeah, what's the deal. Couldn't find anything.

Also, what's the deal with naming a space cruiser after Apollo? Even though SG-1 may never have fought him, isn't he probably a System Lord? What with all the gods from human mythology being evil alien overlords and everything? What's next, the USS Anubis?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click at your own risk...

Yes, Andrew, that means its a spoiler. [Razz]

Maybe Apollo was a Tok'ra or something...

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Also, what's the deal with naming a space cruiser after Apollo? Even though SG-1 may never have fought him, isn't he probably a System Lord? What with all the gods from human mythology being evil alien overlords and everything? What's next, the USS Anubis?"

The Goa'uld assumed the identities of some Earth deities, not all of them. That would have been a lot of System Lords.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Or a lot of Goa'uld - not every god-named Goa'uld was a System Lord. All the Goa'uld were supposed to be gods.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

The Asgard also assumed deity names... probably Tok'ra, too. Maybe even the Nox and Furlings, who knows?

--------------------

OnToMars
Member # 621

NO WAY!

Man, that's totally why I don't do spoilers. I suck.

Anyway, re Apollo:

It's true that we don't know for sure. But it just seems odd given the nature of Apollo and the rest of the Greco-Roman and Mesopotamian gods, since they all liked to torture and mess with humans. Conversely, using Norse for the Asgard made sense, since IIRC, they were much more beneficial figures to mankind than Mediterranean and Mesopotamian gods.

Anyway, it's not a huge thing, but you'd think given what they know, they'd be more likely to name their ship Thor or Freya or similar.

Random final thought: Do we know how the Titans from Greek mythology play into the Stargate mythos, if at all? Prometheus was a titan that gave mankind fire and who was then punished by Zeus, so it makes sense a) to name a ship for him and b) that he was an Ancient, Tokra, or similar friendly figure who defied a System Lord and was punished. I'd be interested in seeing a story based on the Titan/Olympian struggle myth. Maybe the Titans were remnants of the Ancients that were ultimately defeated by the emerging System Lords?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps