Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Save StarGate Atlantis! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Save StarGate Atlantis!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was the Tobasco sauce petition that gave Roswell another season.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also evidently a "send chess pieces to the publisher" campaign for fans of the last Twilight book. Doesn't stop the series from sucking, and didn't actually *do* anything...

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The was an error 404 petition sent to Cartoon Network to have the third season of Reboot aired in the US when it had only aired in Canada. No more Monobreasts.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So to save Atlantis we should get fans to each send a three ton ring of naquada to the network, or failing that, 50 cubic meters of seawater and a rubber ring...each.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a ZPM? [Wink]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Let's take a look at the record for fan petitions in general...

Star Trek, Season 2, 1968: Renewed for another season
Star Trek, Season 3, 1969: Still cancelled
Deep Space Nine, 1999: Still cancelled
Farscape, 2003: Still cancelled, but at least we got the miniseries
Firefly, 2003: Still cancelled, but at least we got the movie
Enterprise, 2005: Still cancelled, and they made an ass of themselves

The only time a fan campaign actually WORKED was when they convinced NBC to order the third season of TOS. (And then we got gems like "Spock's Brain" and "And the Children Shall Lead" and "The Way to Eden"... should that count as success or failure? [Big Grin] )

Er....DS9 ended- like the other Trek shows, at seven seasons. I dont think I've ever heard it was cancelled.

As much as I like Atlantis, twisting the network to make a show they dont want to make will only result in a poor end result- or at least result in Skiffy doing things that ensure the show's failure- changing it's timeslot, not promoting it, etc.

Also, it's crystal clear that managment at Skiffy dont care what the viewers want to see as long as the advertizers are happy: enjoy wresteling and c-grade movies like mansquito!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think DS9 was indeed cancelled. There could have easily been a season 8. Thus the 7-episode finale, basically, and the bit of a disappointment with the reused footage in WYLB.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm pretty sure the writers knew that 7 would be the last season. Their main goal in the final chapter (10 episodes, actually) was to try to tell an even bigger story than the station occupation arc at the beginning of the war. The fact that it all seemed rushed was just because they tried to cram too much crap in rather than tell a good story.

I would try to confirm my memory — I think I read that in the DS9 Companion — but I'm too lazy to do it right now. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps