Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGA 1x06 "Water" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ SGA 1x06 "Water" $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Creative titles so far.

I really, really hate arrogant pricks. In other words: I hope someone shoves Rush in an airlock and bleeds the air out slowly.

People might think this a nitpick, but Chloe shouldn't have been able to grab Scott's hand when he came back through without pain from how cold the exterior of his suit must have been. What'd they say, -47? They didn't specify C or F, but either way, grabbing metal at that temperature even for a moment would at the very least elicit a wince.

Things don't really seem to be picking up. I keep waiting for something to happen, and then the episode is over. It's really too slow paced for my liking.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was "-40 Celsius", rather than "-47", but I could have misheard.

And the space suit was made millennia ago by the Ancients. It would easily be built out of something that retains heat, or adjusts to its surrounding temperature instantaneously, or something.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overtechnology!

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they did say -40C and *I* misheard [Razz]

So, the happy fun swirly aliens that "saved(?)" Scott by showing him the water turned out to be greedy bastards that wanted to just reproduce, eh? Well, at least they weren't sentient crystals again.

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that one of the Asguard space suits from Atlantis?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing as the Pegasus Asgard were into stealing Ancient tech in that two-parter - you could argue that they could had originally stolen the space suits or the design for the space-suits from the Ancients in the first place.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I think the suits were at least re-dressed somewhat, although I'm too lazy to go look for screencaps to see.
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, looks to be them -

-

-

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The helmet more than anything.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
So, the happy fun swirly aliens that "saved(?)" Scott by showing him the water turned out to be greedy bastards that wanted to just reproduce, eh? Well, at least they weren't sentient crystals again.

I initially thought that the clouds weren't sentient, but then I remembered how they gave Scott water, which they obviously need to survive. To rip off Babylon 5, the capacity of self-sacrifice (giving up something they need to survive, water, to someone else) could be a clear sign of sentience.

Maybe the aliens couldn't help how much water they took; they were just taking what they needed. And if that's true, I wonder what kind of ecological effect they might have on that planet where they were left. After all, we don't know that the locale was so frozen the whole time...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Or that the aliens themselves are at all inhibited by sub-freezing temperatures. Maybe they can take solid water just as easily as liquid.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or they could have died within minutes. Given that the show so far tends to leave planets in it's tracks I doubt we'll ever know either way.

Still, for the sake of argument, given the amount they were consuming I wouldn't be surprised if they were the reason that first planet was an arid wasteland. In a few centuries that ice world could be an equally cold, yet H2O free desolate rock.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't think so. The Destiny had details that the CaCO3- was available to use to fix the scrubbers. If there was water still in that lake bed... then it wouldn't have been available.

And what's to say the Suits weren't upgraded by the Asgard - based on an original Ancient design. Or indeed still a suit designed by the Ancients, just that the Destiny is way older than Atlantis.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the base the evil Asgard were using was an Ancient-designed facility. They could've found the suits there. If Janus set up the lab on a frozen wasteland, he probably brought along some protection.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The writers have stated that they have purposefully be re-using the Asgard suits. I'm guessing the same as you guys, they're ancient design.

Yay, our first standalone episode. Notes:

- Riley calls Spencer a "crazy person". He's got a shorter fuse than even Greer, apparently.

- They're down to 40,000 liters of water at the top of the episode, which is about a week after the last one. Everyone's sunburns have healed.

- Eli has set up shop in the Kino control room, which I still think is branched off of a larger away team prep room (owing to the seats in the larger room). He's also found a way to print off pictures from the Kinos, which are pasted on the wall.

- The producers are using the same backlit "puddle" effect they've been using on the other Gate shows. It's a great way to save money for longer shots where the gate is active though not necessarily the point of the shot, but here it looks even dimmer than usual. I think they need to tweak it to look less obviously like a big piece of muslin with a projector behind it, especially in HD. You can even catch the glare of the light that's projecting a puddle "reflection" in front of the gate, and it's clearly coming from a light hanging from the ceiling of the set.

- Lieutenant James was a friend with benefits. Thought so. Well, she takes Lt. Scott's new flame in stride, at least...

- We finally see the Universe wormhole effect. As promised by the promos, it's the same as in Atlantis and later SG-1 episodes but tinged white instead of green or blue. I was hoping for something new, but I'll take this since it's the closest we've seen to the original movie effect.

- Young wants half a ton of ice. How many liters is an imperial ton, anyway? It's certainly not 40,000, which is what they're missing. Whatever they brought back by the end of the episode won't make up for what the dust alien thing took.

- Eli didn't know that the gate can stay open only 38 minutes, which we see here the Destiny's gates stick to as well. Apparently Jackson didn't go over that bit in his YouTube videos. [Razz]

- Franklin's a funny guy. [Smile] Funny though he seems not to mention much to the guy who shot him a few days ago, even face to face with him.

- The planetary gate was all CGI, unlike the physical prop we saw on the desert planet.

- Yes, you CAN fire a fun in the absence of oxygen in the atmosphere - the bullets have their own oxidant. I'd only be worried about firing a gun in extreme cold.

- Likewise, firing your gun on the Destiny should be fine, if ther writers don't care much about ricochets. They don't.

- Aha! Pursuant to something I mentioned a couple weeks ago, NOW we see what happens to people randomly wandering the corridors to make them look busy. You get EATEN BY BUGS!

- At the end of the episode, one of the background science nerds mentions he was scheduled to use the swap stones. Makes sense, there would otherwise be a lineup to use them. But who's volunteering to use their bodies on the other side? Is Telford swapping out with everyone to keep an eye on the Destiny team? I figure we'll find out next week.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps