Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ DW "The End of Time" [Tenth Doctor Finale Megaspoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ DW "The End of Time" [Tenth Doctor Finale Megaspoilers]
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Given RTD has stated the he's effectivly "wiped the slate clean" and the ending essentially wrapped up the stories for all of RTDs creations I'm not sure that we'll see the Time Lords again either.
The Time Lords weren't creations of RTD, he just borrowed them. [Smile] I think there is enough "wiggle room" in the ending to allow the Time Lords to appear again, either coming from Gallifrey and the Time War era, or having been in hiding after the war's end (much like the Master). Basically, they'll come back if Moffat decides there's a good enough reason. If not, then they stay locked away.

I do think that the crisis element needs to be toned down a bit. As "The End of Time" showed, a sacrifice for one unimportant old man can mean just as much as a sacrifice for all of creation. Hopefully the new series will go in this direction, but I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

So, how long do you think it will take for the inevitable "When is Matt Smith leaving?" speculation to start up?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And isn't this theoretically the Doctor's last regeneration? Or have they already set up a way around that?
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
twelve regen's should mean 13 Doctors.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nevermind... i thought it was 10 regens... just looked it up.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which opens the whole can of worms about whether or not the "Journey's End" regeneration counts as one against his total! [Smile] This is why I think they will have to bring the Time Lords back at one point - assuming the show continues on for a while, they're going to run out of regenerations at one point and will need to extend his run somehow.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe with no Timelords, this doesn't count anymore, I don't know why it wouldn't - just thought I'd put it out there. Can anyone give a rundown how the total number of regenerations was mentioned in the old series? The Master has regenerated again in the new series even though he supposedly had run out of regenerations. I reckon they should do a Timewar movie with the 8th, 9th and maybe the 10th Doctor.

Just finished watching the shows. Liked it. Could have been maybe a little less 'silly' with the entire world being the Master. I assume that the old woman was the Doctor's Mother. There was the whole thing about Wilf being proud to be the Doctor's Father and she appears to Wilf. Would have been a nice touch. Also makes you wonder how she managed to make a connection to Wilf through the time-lock? Loved the ending when the Doctor was claiming his reward. Oh the 'real' knocking four times was great - didn't see that coming.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I remember in the made-for-TV movie thing awhile back the 7th Doctor mentions the number of regenerations specifically and tells the girl how many times he's done it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Master has regenerated again in the new series even though he supposedly had run out of regenerations."

The Master had run out of regenerations by the time he first appeared in the '70s. He's had four or five incarnations since then. The Master has never had trouble finding ways around the regeneration limit.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't wanna go."

There were so many things in these two episodes that I liked. It was nice that the most critical parts of the feature involved only the Doctor and Wilfred. The look on the Doctor's face as he heard the four knocks, after just having thougt he was in the clear, was sublime.
I was glad that the Master finally got to do one good deed, and for the right reason. "It will be...spectacularrr!"

When I saw the last episode with the Ninth Doctor, I didn't feel for a new one, I wanted it to stay the same. Over the years, Tennant has really changed my mind in that regard, it felt like he threw himself into it body and soul, became a lot more ingrained in the character than Eccleston, who just did a gig (although very well). I've really enjoyed the character, supporting cast and writing of the Tenth Doctor run, I've been constantly surprised at how they time and time again make the season enders wrench your gut and shed its coat for something new. All the while keeping it playful (the Doctor/Rose/Alien Scooby Doo-chase playing out before the eyes of Elton Pope).
I thought "The waters of Mars" was ok, but the really worthwhile bit of the whole episode was at the very end, when it dawned on the Doctor that he'd gone too far. It was a great segway into "The end of time", with the Doctor actually humbled and in effect expecting the Ood present to pass judgement on him, asking it "Will I die now?".
Really gonna miss him.

Here's a random pick of my favorite quotes from the Tennant-run (simply by merit of being the first ones that came to mind):

DW: Oh, I'm - I'm dazed and confused. I've been chasing this... this wee naked child over hill and over dale. In't that right, ya... timorous beastie?
Rose: Ooch, aye! I've been oot and aboot.
DW: No, don't do that.
Rose: Hoots mon!
DW: No really, don't. Really.

/

DW: *using sonic screwdriver to amplify pipe organ* We need to turn it up to eleven.

/

Cassandra (in Rose's body): Oh my God... I'm a Chav!

/

Cyberman: Daleks, be warned; you have declared war upon the Cybermen.
Dalek Sec: This-is-not-war. This-is-pest-control.
Cyberman: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?
Dalek Sec: ... ... Four.
Cyberman: You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?
Dalek Sec: We-would-destroy-the-Cybermen-with-one-Dalek. You-are-superior-in-only-one-respect.
Cyberman: What is that?
Dalek Sec: You-are-better-at-dying. *shoots Cyberman*

/

The Doctor: So when it comes right down to it, why did you come here? Why did you that? Why? I'll tell you why. Because it was there. Brilliant! Excuse me, er, Zac wasn't it?
Zachary Cross Flane: That's me.
The Doctor: Just stand there cos I'm going to hug you. Is that alright?
Zachary Cross Flane: Suppose so.
The Doctor: Here we go. C'mon then
[the Doctor hugs Zac]
The Doctor: Human beings. You are amazing. Hah! Thank you.
Zachary Cross Flane: Not at all.
The Doctor: But apart from that you're completely mad. You should pack your bags, get back in that ship and fly for your lives.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Can anyone give a rundown how the total number of regenerations was mentioned in the old series?

I think that the regeneration limit was first mentioned back in the Tom Baker days, in "The Deadly Assassin". According to that serial, they get 12 regenerations (13 incarnations in total) and then they die. There was even a Time Lord in the Colin Baker era that committed suicide by triggering a 13th regeneration.

The Master's regenerations in the new series are a result of him having been resurrected by the Time Lords - they gave him a new Time Lord body, presumably with a whole new set of regenerations to go with it. Whether he regenerated before he became Yana or if that was his first "new" body wasn't made clear, neither was the whereabouts of his TARDIS (which would have had the chameleon arch fitted to turn him human).

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Master had run out of regenerations by the time he first appeared in the '70s.
Not quite. It was established in "The Deadly Assassin" that the Master had run out of regenerations, which was why he looked like a walking corpse. However, it was never clear whether corpse-Master was the Roger Delgado incarnation, or a later incarnation after Delgado. Obviously he was played by another actor in prosthetics, but that was only because Delgado was dead by then. Also, he didn't sound like Delgado either, but that was probably because he didn't have lips [Wink]

I kinda got the impression that the whole "Mr. Saxon/Master no. Six" thing takes into account that there were these six separate Masters:

1. Roger Delgado
2. Corpse-Master
3. Anthony Ainley
4. Eric Roberts
5. Yana
6. Saxon

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, thats what the production crew have said in the past about the Mister Saxon annogram.

We know that one Time Lord can steal regeneraions from another - that was the Masters plan in the tv-movie.

By the way, I still have Eric Roberts as the 13th Master. I don't recall it ever being said which regeration Roger Delgardo was, but we know the Corpse-Master (who may be Delgardo's Master) was at the end of his 13th body. This then body snatched a scientist to become Anthony Ainley (who my friend once clean bowled in a charity cricket match, so he says).

Ainleys Master is last seen battling the 7th Doctor at the end of Survival (the last regular serial in 1989). The Master (presumably Ainley) is then killed (perhaps by the Daleks at trial for some reason) and his remains given to the 7th Doctor to take to Galifrey.

The Master has cheated death somehow and turned into a mucus Goa'uld, which takes over Eric Roberts body - so still the 13th Master.

The Master is then regenerated by the Time Lords themselves to serve in the Time War, presumably giving him a new set of 13 lifes. So where do these come from?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, who else here liked the Doctor Who movie? I really enjoyed Paul McGann's portrayal of The Doctor. I also REALLY loved the interior of his TARDIS.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

*raises hand*
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was pretty good. I'm glad they kept it in continuity and didn't ignore it. Actually, for a split-second there when Rassilon was talking about the Doctor, I thought we might get a quick cameo from McGann. Alas.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps