Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ DW "The End of Time" [Tenth Doctor Finale Megaspoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ DW "The End of Time" [Tenth Doctor Finale Megaspoilers]
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah it was good. I didn't like the chase on the police bike or Eric Roberts portrayal of the Master, but otherwise it was good. Epsecially showing Sylvester McCoy at the start.

It failed because of the difficulty establishing the fact that he was the Doctor and then Paul McGann was - you kinda had to be in on it I think.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
By the way, I still have Eric Roberts as the 13th Master. I don't recall it ever being said which regeneration Roger Delgado was, but we know the Corpse-Master (who may be Delgado's Master) was at the end of his 13th body. This then body snatched a scientist to become Anthony Ainley
Again, it's very confusing. We only know for a fact that the corpse-Master was his 13th body and final regeneration. Even though he stole Ainley's body, he's still the 13th incarnation.

However, what happened to him between the events of "Survival" and the Doctor Who movie is anyone's guess. The Master seen at the beginning of the movie doesn't look like Ainley; perhaps he stole another body? And if it was a Time Lord's body, did he get new regenerations? By the time he steals Eric Roberts's body, we really don't know what's going on with his life-cycle.

quote:
The Master is then regenerated by the Time Lords themselves to serve in the Time War, presumably giving him a new set of 13 lives. So where do these come from?
In "The Five Doctors" we learn that the Time Lords can give the Master a new set of regenerations. There is no indication at all as to how they can do this, but the Master takes their word as gospel. (Which makes one think: if the Time Lords could do this, then why hasn't the Master already done it?) Very ambiguous.

quote:
...Anthony Ainley (who my friend once clean bowled in a charity cricket match, so he says).
When I was a kid, Ainley and Janet Fielding were guests at a convention in Baltimore. Ainley walked right past me and I didn't even recognize him, mainly because at the time he had gained weight and was wearing this ridiculous Uncle Sam costume. I of course was expecting a thin guy in a black Master costume. However, he was very nice and confessed to loving Americans (he wore the costume out of respect, not humor).

I also liked the movie, but I also can understand why an English fan might not. I bought the region 2 DVD and made a region 1 copy to watch.

P.S. One more thing: On the subject of "The Deadly Assassin," at least three Time Lords are killed (the President, Runcible, and Goth), yet none of them regenerate. Huh? I find it hard to believe that all three were in their final incarnations, which would have been the only reason why they didn't regenerate. Unless they all did it after the Doctor left?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was said in the new ones that a time Lord can die if he/she is killed suddenly. In fact I'm pretty sure that's what happens in 'Turn Left'. More than that, regenerating is an act of will so its meant to save a dying Time Lord, not a corpse. Remember that the Master refused to regenerate the last time after his wife shot him.
Again, I'm not a big continuity buff, but I do recall the McCoy/McGann regeneration was essentially interrupted by the paramedics, which is what lead to the memory loss. So he must have started the process just after being shot and, like with the 10th Doctor, it took a while to fully kick in.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem with that is that Runcible had time to walk around with a knife sticking out of his back while telling everyone how sorry he was, before falling on his face dead. Shouldn't he have rather been taking that time to start regenerating? I really don't think he would have voluntarily refused to regenerate.

(I'm just being silly with this; obviously he died because it was supposed to be a dramatic scene. I just find it funny that the one episode that reveals the whole regeneration aspect of a Time Lord's lifespan is then completely nullified by three people dying without regenerating.)

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend:

Actually, no, but don't worry. Lot's of people have made that mistake. It's not the shooting that kills off Doctor No 7, it's the operation afterwards. He even warns Grace that if she attempts the operation she'll kill him.

The official story is that the medication in his body is what delayed the regeneration. So presumably it started when his hearts were stopped, but it had to overcome the drugs, which is why it wasn't apparent for several hours.

The Time Lords do have a weapon called a Staser, which prohibits regeneration and kills a Time Lord outright. Along those lines, perhaps there was some poison on the knife which could also stop regeneration? I'd assume that a Time Lord assassin (especially a deadly one, *cough*) would know about weapons that could stop the person regenerating. Otherwise he'd have to stand there stabbing the person 12 times in a row.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naw, they woulnd't do that because they wouldn't want to confuse the viewer with too many new elments, nor have too many people ask "who's that guy? He was the Doctor? Which one? Was it before the ninth?" and so on. We only need to deal with one Doctor in this story, and his successor.

Speaking of which, check out Blogtor Who for big awesome pics of the new guy!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got me a copy of the 1996 Movie. I'm going to enjoy it again! [Smile] (Well hopefully it will still pull up 14 years later).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liked most of it, didn't like some of it. Loved the Doctor. Hated the console room (except for the actual console, which if you look closely shares many elements with the new series console).

I really wish Fox would have gone with a series. Instead, we got (puke) Sliders. OTOH, it may have saved Doctor Who from the slow slide into oblivon that Sliders took...

Mark

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked McGann, but most of it was rubbish. I sometimes think John Simm was miscast, but he's nothing compared to Eric Roberts.

It does have one great bit of proper Doctor-ishness in it, though, when the Doctor tries to get away from the cop by stealing his gun and threatening to shoot himself.

I've not listened to any of the audio plays. I might try them.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rassilon mentions the "weeping angels of old" - was he meaning the statues seen in 'Blink'? I don't know why but I just thought - like everything seems to be on Gallifrey - it was just a fancy title given to desentors who hadn't gone crazy with the Time War, who still upheld the beliefs of old Gallifrey. That they were weeping at what had been lost. When I first saw them standing there with their faces covered it was a bit of a shock - for a split second. It was a nice touch (I mean not just to have it as the woman/Doctor's mother being there for most of the action) but just as a stylistic 'alien/noble/Gallifreyan' type of... idiosyncracy. That they can stand there behind the Lord President as a silent reminder. Nice touch I thought.

Which then makes me wonder - if it IS a reference to the 'weeping angels' - and they are older than time itself - did they have some connection to Gallifrey and Timelords originally.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK I just re-watched "Blink" - how AWESOME is that episode!?! I think he does mean them. I wonder if they have a connection with the Time Lords some how - seeing as they obviously have a connection to timetravel. Maybe he just mentions them - like the Doctor mentions other things everynow and then. Interesting though that the two of them stand behind the Lord President in such a stance.

Awesome episode! [Smile]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Written by... Wait for it... New showrunner Steven Moffatt! And we haven't seen the last of the Weeping Angels, pun intended...

The fun part of "Blink" was that the Doctor was barely in the episode (and Martha even less so), and yet it managed to be ABOUT him anyway. Msterful writing all the way, and I hope to see more come April, where Moffat will be writing six of the thirteen episodes. Oddly, I wonder if that means there will be no Christmas special this year, since it's usually commissioned as part of the preceeding series...

Mark

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little late to the party, having just watched this special now. The only thing I have to add to the conversation is the question of the death gauntlet; was I the only one that picked up right away that its the mate to the life gauntlet from Torchwood?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well we already saw both gauntlets during Torchwood's run. Wasn't it called the Ressurection Glove? Nice idea though! Stuff from Gallifrey falling through space and time??

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps