Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x16 Sabotage $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x16 Sabotage $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I guess the on-off switch on the stones base "wipes [your] imprint" so that you aren't linked to it anymore. So basically all they've really figured out is how to wipe them.

I bet Franklin ascended.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be hot. Hadn't thought of that. Figured he just found another way to a different part of the ship or something.

Eli, Chloe and Scott are trapped! Trapped off the ship! And the ship went to hyperspace without them! And it's--wait no nevermind. Something else is happening now. Found that a little jarring.

I did like the drama of a communications stone saboteur, and the pursuant action. I liked James freaking out about inhabiting a quadriplegic and then not being able to handle it, but over all I'm not sure how I feel about how they dealt with that. DS9 had that episode with Julian's hoverbarbie friend, and while that had a fair bit of silliness, it did have Julian trying to "fix" her and that was interesting.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say trying to magically fix a quadriplegic would be a just tad condescending. Besides it's about how her partner deals with it so much as she does.

I assume Eli, Chloe and Scott just made their way to the nearest gate to the edge of the galaxy on the theory that was the best place to be of they got Destiny turned around. The ship must have still been in range so when they dropped out of FTL they popped back up on the remote.
I further assume the reason the aliens turned up there was precisely because it was the last gate in range and they sabotaged the drives to give them time to figure out how to dial the Stargate and get aboard.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I assume Eli, Chloe and Scott just made their way to the nearest gate to the edge of the galaxy on the theory that was the best place to be of they got Destiny turned around. The ship must have still been in range so when they dropped out of FTL they popped back up on the remote."

Well, yes, that's exactly what happened. The problem is that it seems like the writers went through all that dramatic set-up, and then said "Y'know, on second thought, let's not do that story at all. Just stick them back on the ship, and we'll do something else entirely."

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I'd say trying to magically fix a quadriplegic would be a just tad condescending. Besides it's about how her partner deals with it so much as she does.

I just meant that in thinking back about sci-fi dealing with people with handicaps, Julian's response in trying to "fix" Melora was shown to be be exactly that: condescending, misguided and insensitive. Super-brilliant, super-eager Julian was, in this instance, totally wrong. Which I thought was maybe kind of brave, and made an important point.

SG:Universe didn't go that route, but I thought it stuck its neck out with James's revulsion. Turns out I like that they handled it. I'm just not sure how I feel about how they went on to play things out with Camille and her gf. That whole thing was kind of weird and I felt like I missed something with Camille freaking out when her gf locked her keys in the car.

Meanwhile the body-hopping, quadriliberated hyperspace expert sees this as her once-in-a-lifetime chance to come at Rush in Camille's lesbian body. Which despite the kooky circumstance, does seem plausible (Eli's reaction: "Rush?" was perfect), I'm just not sure what it says and whether I like it.

It maybe bears mentioning, that this was presumably the episode which garnered such controversy with that casting sheet before the show ever aired.

As for Eli, Scott and Chloe making it back, it wasn't that it wasn't plausible. Just that it was a wasted opportunity for drama that kinda fizzled away when they walked through the gate. Eli's comment about how the aliens would now have a remote had they not made it back to Destiny was telling. I think it was night on the planet we see through the kino, but was that the same planet we saw them on before? I just assumed they were already at the galaxy's edge at the end of the last episode, but did they move farther out in the ring system as Rev suggests?

Also, does this mean Destiny is now in Hyper-super-luminal-different-from-other-hyperspace flight to an entirely different galaxy?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think it was stated the ship en route to another galaxy.
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I bet Franklin ascended.

That seems a bit too obvious. Although that does beg the question of whether an ascended Franklin would be able to do what he pleased. Do the Alterans/Lanteans have jurisdiction way out there?
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Yeah, I think it was stated the ship en route to another galaxy.

Indeed. There were some gorgeous shots of Destiny with one galaxy ahead and the other behind.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kinda reminiscent of the Remastered Version of "By Any Other Name" which also featured nice shots of the Enterprise traveling between galaxies.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Eli and co., I got the impression that they were staying on the planet where we last saw them, because that was the last gate at the edge of the galaxy before the ship left the vicinity.

(Of coursse, a galaxy doesn't have such a clearly defined edge, no matter what it looks like in the visible spectrum.) [Wink]

Now I'm curious to know what's the range of the Destiny's Stargates... And that seems to imply that they might not be able to make it back home via the gate on the ship, either...

And the next question: are the blue aliens intergalactic travelers, too? They seem to be able to keep up with the ship.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I just meant that in thinking back about sci-fi dealing with people with handicaps, Julian's response in trying to 'fix' Melora was shown to be be exactly that: condescending, misguided and insensitive. Super-brilliant, super-eager Julian was, in this instance, totally wrong. Which I thought was maybe kind of brave, and made an important point."

Actually, I've been rewatching DS9, and I just happened to watch that episode a couple days ago. That's not how it was portrayed at all. Melora herself was as eager for the treatment as Julian was about it. It wasn't one of those whole "my disability isn't really a disability and I can't be 'fixed'" sort of shows. It was more like "yes, please fix me ; wait, I'll never be able to go to my homeworld again? ; damn, never mind, then".

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, a small aside, if Rush couldn't fix her when they were on Earth together all that time, I don't see how he could fix her when her body was several hundred million lightyears away, so they couldn't really have done a 'fixit' plot anyway.
bX
Member # 419

Just re-watched the DS9 ep. Yeah it was much more of a Little Mermaid (referenced in the episode) story than the Pygmalion meets Frankenstein I'd been remembering. I think we did see a Doctor Bashir pressing fairly hard for the treatment, whereas Melora, though certainly participating quite willfully, well 'eager' is maybe overstating it. You're right though, Bashir was certainly much more gentle than I'd recalled once she started expressing reluctance about the treatment.
quote:
Also, a small aside, if Rush couldn't fix her when they were on Earth together all that time, I don't see how he could fix her when her body was several hundred million lightyears away, so they couldn't really have done a 'fixit' plot anyway.

Wasn't saying at all that there should or could have been a fix it kind of plot. Was more drawing parallels at the attitude of the characters/series towards the handi-capable. I felt like when Melora finally decided not to continue the treatments which would allow her to walk in normal gravity not for any sort of health or science-y reasons, but because this would fundamentally change the person she is, that this was maybe a poignant way of making a statement about the perspective of the person in the chair and how society looks at that person.

In SG:U, I'm less certain what (if anything) they were saying. I felt that having an arguably tough, soldier girl not being able to handle even a few moments in a handicapped body, to later feel shame and remorse about the incident, was an interesting thing for the show to do. But beyond that-- with Camille inhabiting her paralyzed body, with that person suddenly able to move and groove-- I was just kind of curious to hear what other people think/feel. Were they saying something there? Did you relate to any of that? Was it just something that happened on a show that sometimes has spaceships (PEW! PEW! KABOOM!)?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was a great moment. A lot of times a person can be confident about tackling some problem ("how hard can it be?") only to find out that it's completely unlike what they expected.

And then James felt like avoiding her later on... It was a provocative idea.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

bX: Honestly, I feel it's the latter - the thing on a show with spaceships [Razz] . But that's just because Universe isn't particularly impressing me so far.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bX:
It maybe bears mentioning, that this was presumably the episode which garnered such controversy with that casting sheet before the show ever aired.

Did these people kick up as much fuss when she bodyswapped with some airforce or marine type to go home and dyke it out with her girlfriend? I doubt it.
It sort of reminds me of a minor bit of fuss that was kicked up a few years ago when BSG showed a black (cylon) man lead around on a stick by a collar. The fact that an Asian woman had received the same treatment and that a white woman had been gang raped to the point of insanity was entierly besides the point.
Some people just have a funny idea of what "offensive" actually means.

Incidentally, one of the new kinosodes confirms there's a formal permission form for the swappies.
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I thought it was a great moment. A lot of times a person can be confident about tackling some problem ("how hard can it be?") only to find out that it's completely unlike what they expected.

And then James felt like avoiding her later on... It was a provocative idea.

I liked that they went there to. You have this tough as nails soldier unable to deal with something this scrawny little geek deals with every second of every day and she's so ashamed that she baulked she can't even make eye contact with the girl, afterwards.

quote:

Plus of course the fact that Rush isn't that kind of doctor. [Wink]

quote:
That seems a bit too obvious. Although that does beg the question of whether an ascended Franklin would be able to do what he pleased. Do the Alterans/Lanteans have jurisdiction way out there?
I've been suspecting for some time now that there's already a conscious element to Destiny, either AI, an Alterans's brain cybernetically plugged in somewhere or some ascended being nudging things along.
As for the limit of their reach, I don't think they have any. With the Ori gone it's not like they have to hide out in the Milky way/Pegasus neighbourhood anymore.
Oh and I don't thing he's ascended. I imagine the temperature drop was an earlier more primitive version of the stasis pods. As for where the body went, perhaps it was moved to an unseen storage facility.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps