Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x18 Subversion $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x18 Subversion $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey it's that chick from the bad Underworld movie.

I actually giggled when they used their nuBSG-style-zoomy-shaky-cam on the tel'tak travelling through hyperspace.

So I guess they're implying that if you die in someone else's body you're both dead? Otherwise why would Rush care that "this WILL eventually kill you"? I can't remember if that's the way the stones worked in SG-1 or not, but I feel like not - I thought if you die in someone else's body, you snap back to yours and they're dead.

I guess the blue aliens weren't interesting enough so they went back to good old fashioned people-in-leather-outfits. This show is having a lot more to do with Earth than I thought it was supposed to. (Still, not sorry to see Daniel again, in Manly Man In-Charge Mode, short though his appearance was.)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did any one else recognize Kiva's lieutenant? Its Odai Ventrell... [Smile]

I guess we now know what the finale is all about...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So I guess they're implying that if you die in someone else's body you're both dead? Otherwise why would Rush care that "this WILL eventually kill you"? I can't remember if that's the way the stones worked in SG-1 or not, but I feel like not - I thought if you die in someone else's body, you snap back to yours and they're dead.
As far as I can recall, they've never tested what happens if someone in a link dies. Having said that, there was when Vala got burned to death while in someone's body the Ori galaxy and I vaguely remember her body in the Milky-way flatlineing. Still, even since then characters have still generally expressed an uncertainty as to what would happen.

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Did any one else recognize Kiva's lieutenant? Its Odai Ventrell... [Smile]

I guess we now know what the finale is all about...

He did seem familiar, but when I looked him up it was his appearance on Atlantis as that other runner that I remembered. I saw that ep just a few weeks ago on the telly so it was still fresh.

I have to say I like how the show is finding it's legs and has the confidence to make a stronger connection with the wider Stargate continuity. Nice touch having Sam and Daniel be the ones tailing Rush. I mean, who else would O'Neill trust to that degree? (I'm assuming Teal'c wasn't on Earth at the time.)

One wonders how long before McKay makes a guest appearance. I bet he and Rush get on exactly like a house on fire. [Wink]

It was actually quite fun and oddly nostalgic seeing some of the old SG1 elements like the cargo ship, a pyramid and the torture prod thing, with a much more believable effect to boot.
It's nice that while SGU has it's own particular style, it's still compatible with the other shows.

The change on the show has been so dramatic in the latter half of the season (without being jarring) that I have to wonder how much of that was pre-planned and how much was after the initial shows had aired.

Oh and my favourite thing about this ep? No little pop song montage. Trying new things is OK, but that is up there with some jaded lover looking out a rain streaked window pane with a hurt puppy dog look in their eyes. I can happily do without that brand of sappy teen angst shite.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you had a bad day...
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a question; what do the LA think they'll get from Destiny? I mean if they manage to dial out, board and overpower the crew then they'd be stuck out there too. I don't see the logic. Even if they had a ZPM it wouldn't be enough to get back to the milky-way. Plus even if they could, what's on Destiny that they want so desperately?

I suspect half the point of this storyline will just be a means of getting Telford's meat suit on the ship.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They probably figure that, as technically advanced alien(human)s that have the benefit of a culture which spent centuries developing and getting used to advanced technology, they have a better chance of fixing Destiny and taking over control functions than do a group of mostly-civilian Earthies (a culture that is still mostly burning dead plants for fuel except for a few thousand who are about 20 years past the "omg wormholes!?" stage), only a spare handful of whom have any idea what they're doing (the rest mostly seeming to grow vegetables and complain), and none of whom want to even be there.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But most human societies were stuck in the pre-industrial era thanks to the Goa'uld. Remember how amazing the Tollan seemed because they had experience with technology that we didn't? And in the past few years, thanks to the Asgard and Atlantis experiences, the SGC has blown way past that level. (Well, in terms of sheer technology, if not intelligence.)

I hate to say it, but I'm expecting the old cliché of "it's really old powerful Ancient crap, so it must be valuable for us as a weapon" or something.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

The humans on Destiny aren't exactly the best the SGC has to offer; they mostly don't know what they're doing. I think the Lucian Alliance has a better chance of fixing things up, because they obviously at least know how to fly and fix their own spaceships, which is way more than 99% of the Destiny crew can say.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

But then what? Turn it around and spend the next 4 million years bring it back? Even if they brought the parts for an Asgard intergalactic hyperdrive and a ZPM you're still probably looking it at a VERY long return trip. The only way I can think of that'd bring them home in any reasonable time would be supergate and I don't think anyone has that capability anymore.

Whatever they want from Destiny, it's either information or some specific piece of tech that they can bring back through the gate, which implies they think they have a way to dial back.

As for the Destiny crew, they may not be the "best of the best" but there are people like that on Earth who are also working the problems, so it's not like they're so dumb they didn't notice the big red button that says "push to go home."

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the LA would probably be interested in "The Chair" considering its unique properties. IIRC, Destiny dates from an earlier period of the Ancient's history; aren't there more relatively modern Ancient ships lying about in the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Sort of my point. The milky-way galaxy is littered with abandoned ancient tech so unless they know something we don't, the Destiny isn't really worth their trouble.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, who says its ALL the LA that is involved with this project? It could just be a faction looking to find a place to create their own little Empire. What better way than to hitch a ride to Destiny? Its not like anyone from the ol' hood is going to be able to bother you for a few hundred thousand years or so.

I think the real question is how much intelligence they have actually procured from Telford. Would the LA's techies really be more likely to find something important than Rush and all the SGC Nerds?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well it's pretty much a given as the Alliance has always been shown as rather fractious. Still, I'm convinced they're after something specific that they can take back with them and must at least have in idea as to how to do that.

Why would they want to set up an "Empire" in the middle of nowhere? It's not like the Milky=way or Pegasus where there's hundreds or thousands of ready made primitive civilisations sat right next to the local Stargate, ready to be enslave and/or oppressed. More to the point, unless they have about 100,000 people ready to march through that gate I can't see as how it'd even be possible.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well, the LA was attacking Icarus in the first ep, so they probably wanted Destiny then, before anyone even knew what was on it. They may just want access to an Ancient database of some kind, since the Repositories kill you and Atlantis is on Earth now.

Incidentally, I wonder how that works with Alpha and Beta Gates? Is SGC beta now? Or is it based on Atlantis? And when is Homeworld Affairs or whatever it's called going to reveal to the world that it has advanced medical and defensive technologies that could save lives if they weren't keeping it secret for plot purposes? Imagine force fields on every humvee in Iraq...Goa'uld healing devices in every medkit...Tok'ra symbiotes for the dying...people are gonna be pih-ihssed.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the LA were attacking to take over the base, so they could get there first? Or at least to delay the Humans from getting to Destiny before they were ready from their own base?

That still doesn't explain why they want to get on Destiny in the first place.

For that matter, just why did the SGC want to get on Destiny, either?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps