Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x18 Subversion $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x18 Subversion $$
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, before they arrived the SGC (and presumably the LA) didn't even know about Destiny. The point of Icarus was just a means to unlock the 9th chevron that they found the address for in the Atlantis database. Hence my suspicion the LA actually know something the SGC don't.

They apparantly heard (from Telford?) that the formula had finally been cracked and decided to take Icarus and dial the address themselves. The timing couldn't have been a coincidence.

As for which gate on Earth is dominant; I think it's mentioned in 'Midway' that unless they make some alteration or another, the Pegasus gate will take precedent. So assuming Atlantis hasn't gone back to Pegasus then that should be the "dominant" gate...unless they've done whatever they did to make the Midway Station gates co-operate.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they modified the midway gates; I think the whole point of the station was that you couldn't connect the two systems with that macro for whatever reason. You actually have to step out of the Pegasus network and enter the Milky Way network, which suggests...something, I'm sure. Maybe the protocols McKay used to negotiate the buffers got updated between gate networks and isn't backwards compatible [Big Grin]
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I saw that episode a few weeks ago and McKay defiantly mentioned something to that effect.

Actually, now that I think about it the episode might have been the series finale, not 'Midway' itself. It might have had something to do with the hive ship carrying a Pegasus gate IIRC.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what it was... the Wraith ship in orbit had a stargate, and thus took priority over the Milky Way gate on the surface.

That means that Atlantis probably is serving as the SGC "departure lounge" for the time being.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

But like I said, in that ep McKay mentioned they had to do some workaround for the midway station to stop it from happening, so it could be either way.

Of course if Atlantis has gone back to Pegesus already, it's rather a moot point. Which actually brings up the question; would the IOA want Atlantis to go back now that the chair (and I assume the drones along with it) were destroyed at Area 51?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McKay didn't say anything in "Midway" about the Pegasus Gates taking priority over the Milky Way. The only technical specs we got in that episode was the excerpt from "The Return" with the added voiceover they thought noone would notice was added about both systems being totally secure and thus not needing an iris or shield.

The only time they mention the two Gate systems working together is in the series finale when the Wraith gate kills the SGC gate.

So part of McKay's macro must have taken the Pegasus gate at the end of the line off the grid and thus allowed the Jumper's DHD to dial the Milky Way gate instead of the Pegasus gate, and allowed the Milky Way gate to work at all. Still doesn't explain how a jumper's Pegasus DHD could dial a Milky Way stargate... but I digress.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Sorry for the confusion, but to clarify what I've said: in the series finale (I forget the title), McKay mentioned they had to do some workaround when they built Midway and it came up because of the Hive ship and it's gate in Earth orbit.

As for the jumper's DHD, I just assumed that since the jumpers were built after the MW gates that it could auto-reconfigure when it detects the other network in a certain proximity.
They didn't seem to have a problem using in the 'Mobius' as I recall.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Möbius," I remember that the DHD had Milky Way symbols on it. So Janus adapted the ship after he built it.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the DHD's keys change when it reconfigures. Still, you're probably right.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm rewatching Atlantis and am almost to the finale ("Enemy at the Gate"). I'll listen for McKay's line.

I don't think we really saw the jumper's DHD when Shepard dialed the MW gate, so it's possible the symnbols changed. And yah, O'Niell's jumper had MW symbols.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In watching the episode, I too found myself suddenly very curious what value the Lucian Alliance would see in an incredibly old spaceship millions and billions of lightyears away. I wonder if part of the value of Destiny and her older Ancient technology/databases may be their age. I imagine the inner workings of most ancient technology is vastly beyond the comprehension of even the more advanced species in Stargate. Like giving DaVinci an iPhone. It'd be wonderous to him and he'd surely be able to make it turn on and stuff, but the underlying sciences behind what makes it work and respond to touch don't even exist for him. So if presented the opportunity to explore, like a WWII ballistics computer or telephone exchange, now he's got a much better chance of comprehending what's going on, and that more rudimentary knowledge would likely go a long way towards understanding more advanced artifacts. Just a thought. Anyway, please I did not mean to interrupt discussion of spaceships.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Good point, though. I hadn't thought of it like that.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

A technological rosetta stone? Not a bad theory but I'm still at a loss as to how they think they'll get back. Have to wait and see I suppose.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps