Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Please help me find the name of this movie from 60's or 50's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Please help me find the name of this movie from 60's or 50's
strawberry
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted this under Star Trek Discussion by mistake, so I'm copying here to general discussion. If anyone can help me figure out the name of this movie, I will really be grateful.

I've been trying to find the name of this movie for many years.
I do not know the name or any of the actors. I was young when I saw it on TV (probably late 50's or early 60's)

The story, as best I can remember it, starts with an older man & woman watching TV. What they are watching is the news of the discovery of a new planet or place (inside the earth? ... not sure). Anyway, then the story takes you back to when they were younger, like in their teens. I don't remember how they got to this place or why, but they were on like a planet & trying to get off & I think aliens were chasing them. They hopped in the spaceship (vehicle?) and finally got home.

There was much adventure & I really enjoyed it. The young man who was the main part reminds me of a young Pat Robertson, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't him, because I looked through the films he was in & I didn't see it listed. It isn't journey to the Center of the Earth.

Please help me. I've asked everyone I know for the last 30 years. I'm desperate to find the answer to this puzzle.

Thank you so much.

Straw

------------------

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Straw

Welcome to the Forum!

Offhand ... no, I can't think of the movie title. Sounds ALMOST like "escape from witch mountain" ... ow, stop throwing tomatoes! I don't know!

Sorry, dude. I'm sure someone here knows.

------------------
My roomate is a stupid, often-drunk, country-listening, non-cleaning, non-choring redneck ... kill him now ...

strawberry
Ex-Member

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff

I keep checking this thread to see if anyone knows. I'm searching the net, trying to find old sci fi movies & the plot desciptions. I really hope someone can help.

Straw

strawberry
Ex-Member

I just thought of something else.

When the young couple are able to escape, they leave the older guy there (possibly a scientist) who stays with the aliens/natives or whatever. There was quite a rush to try to get into the spaceship & it seems like there were a bunch of aliens around. For some reason I keep thinking the aliens were the color red, but I may be wrong about this.

Thanks again!

Straw

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is a fairly young crowd around here, so if they knew, I'd be quelle impressed....

BUT!!....the "old-timers" over at the Starship Modeler forum probably WOULD know...or have an inkling..or remember....or point you to the next step.

------------------
"My dear, I used to think that I was serving humanity... and I pleasured in the thought. Then I discovered that humanity does not want to be served; on the contrary it resents any attempt to serve it. So now I do what pleases Jubal Harshaw." ---Jubal Harshaw, Stranger In A Strange Land

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the last time I saw this movie, I was three, so I remember next to nothing, but when I read this, Forbidden Planet keeps coming to mind, so I thought I'd just toss it out there...

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

strawberry
Ex-Member

Thanks, all

I did post to the older forum & someone there thought it may be The First Men in the Moon. I think that could be it, but I haven't found a good article on the plot, yet.

I've done a search for Forbidden Planet & I don't really think that one is it, but it could be. At any rate, I'd like to see it!

Thanks for all your help & the links. I still have a long way to go to navigate around the net.

Sorry I posted in the wrong forum. When I realized my mistake, that it was under a Star Trek forum, I went back & tried to delete the post, but it wouldn't let me.

There is another old movie that I haven't done a search on that I am trying to find out. All I remember (again in the 50's or 60's) is that there were a lot of people trying to escape from some evil guys & they went down a shaft (like a wishing well type place) and there were caverns underneath & they went around & around in them. For some reason (?) I'm thinking there was a young Mickey Roonie playing one of the characters, but not sure about that one either. I don't know if this was a science fiction movie or not (probably adventure I guess), but if anyone has a clue, I'd appreciate your guesses!

Straw

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Straberry, you're not thinking of "Invaders From Mars," are you?

secret underground cavern complex that can only be reached through the sands on the spooky side of the hill, rambunctious little feckle-faced kid?

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it but can't think of the name for anything.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

strawberry
Ex-Member

TLE, keep thinking, lol

I'll do a search on Invaders from Mars & see if that is it. I'm not sure ... it could be.

I'm fairly certain that the first one I am thinking of is First Men in the Moon. Now I'm trying to rent a copy. Someone told me to check the library.

I'll try to remember more details from the second one.

All I can remember at this point are people scurrying around trying to get away (from the bad guys?) and going down to a secret passage way of caverns & they went down a wishing well to get there. I'm pretty certain it was not under sand, but hey, it's been probably around 30 years or so.

Thanks again!

Straw

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's definitely First Men in the Moon. I also saw this when I was a kid. At the start of the movie this old guy is watching the first (supposedly) landing on the moon. I think they break through the crust an fall into some caverns. He then says that he went to the moon when he was young, and they flashback to the 1890s and the start of the original novel set in that time. It's an interesting framing device. Anyways, the movie's pretty cool movie with Ray Harryhausen stop-motion effects. In the late 50s, early 60s they made a lot of SF movies based on HG Welles and Jules Verne stories, something I'd wish they'd start doing again. Unfortunately, Wild Wild West pretty much destroyed any chance of any Steampunk movies other than remakes of 20,000 leagues

The other movie sort of sounds like the end to "The Time Machine," another HG Wells story. This fellow in the 1890s makes a time machine and ends up in the far future where humans have divided into two types: normal looking, but docile and stupid surface dwellers, and hairy, cave-dwelling cannibals who eat the surface dwellers. The surface dwellers have been trained to go underground (and be eaten) when the cannibals set off a siren. Our time-travelling hero (Robert Taylor, I think) goes down to the caverns to fight the bad guys and free the normal humans, including a young Yvette Mimieux. They come back to the surface through these air ducts that look like wells.

PS: I'm an oldtimer.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute...cavorite?

You should have mentioned that at the beginning!

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

strawberry
Ex-Member

Thanks, Masao I never felt like an old timer before, but I guess I am. Thanks goodness more old timers than me hang out here. Actually, I only found this site last weekend, when I was looking for a way to find out the name of that movie.

Thanks for the info on the Time Machine. I'll do a search on the plot & see if that is it & I'll check & see if Blockbuster has it for rent. They didn't have First Men in the Moon, but I am certain this is the right name of the first film I mentioned.

Sol, what is cavorite? A person who escapes to caves? . . . not sure !?!

Strawberry

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Cavorite is an antigravity substance, invented by Dr. Cavor (the guy left on the moon), that was used to construct the moon ship. The ship looked like a soccer ball with railroad car bumpers sticking out of it.

Glad to be of help.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see, I've never seen a movie version of the story, and the general plot outline can fit a lot of different films, but cavorite is a rather unique substance and so, had it been mentioned, I probably could have put two and two together.

Possibly.

No promises.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps