Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Dune Miniseries(possible $) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Dune Miniseries(possible $)
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone see it?

I just found a vcd format of it...and I'm thinking that I saw the woman who played Anakin's mother in there... ?

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only saw the promo Quicktime video. It looked VERY cool!

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SPOILERS

-
I saw it, and in some ways it is MUCH better than the 80s Lynch version, on the other hand, it was also a little worse than the old movie. FIrst it does have a lot less "silly-factor" than its predecessor and also follows much more closely to the book (none of that sound-weapon rubbish). But the movie had a bigger budget and so it looked like an actual desert, because they probably were at a desert. The new version seems too studio-bound, its pretty obvious that they were in a sound stage or something. But the worms still look great as do the ornithopters. Also a nice touch is the increased role of Irulan.
But i miss the old 1800s European style Atreides uniforms. The sardukar look particularly weird now as do the harkonnens, but i guess they follow the book.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pernilla August is not in there. In fact, the only name I recognized was Mr. Hurt's.
I hope the general quality of acting is above Xena or Herc.

The Atreides WERE classy, weren't they?
That's what I like about the movie, it had so many steel, brass and gold details. Darts, swords, knifes. You got the feel of it all.

It's such a tragedy there can never be a Special Edition or Director's Cut. That movie was MADE to be perfected into DVD... One of those titles you'd get with the DVD-player.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited December 06, 2000).]

Pro. Portside
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a fan of Dune and the other books of the series, and the two( soon to be three) prequal books his son have done, I must say this. THE BARRON DOES NOT FLY!

that was the one thing was was hooping would not be in the new movie but it was. He is a butter ball who needes the suspensors to WALK he did not fly in the books and should not have done so in the movies.

other than that the movie was good

------------------
Tribbles and warp cores dont mix

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't watch it, surprisingly, because I am lame. It's on Sunday. I might catch it then.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I've seen the first episode. 1- the acting is fair. Not the greatest, but not horrible either. 2- You can tell when they're using backdrops! They don't do a very good job at conceiling it either. 3- The sand-worms rock. Period.

One additional note- You liked Brian Herbert's prequal? ARG! They're horrible! He's stomping all over his dad's legacy!

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have seen it. And my reactions are mostly mixed. Yes, it's not a PERFECT telling of the Dune saga, but...for the most part, it works for me. Except William Hurt. Nope. He's not Duke Leto. Jurgen Prochnow will always be Duke Leto to me.

Quatre.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Willie is like in "Lost in Space" again then I should have a pillow standing by. He's soo boring when acting from his standard "concerned but disillusioned"-repertoire...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the entire mini-series of Dune this week, and I love it! I actually understand the damn story now. Yes, the backdrops were obvious, but this wasn't exactly a big budget film, I mean, come on, this is damned good looking for a mini-series. I already plan to start reading Dune and the rest of the series (my school library happens to have Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune) after I finish with George Orwell's 1984 in a few days.

Some news you might like though: Sci-Fi has already signed the director to do Dune Messiah and Children of Dune as mini-series as well!

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Nim
Member # 205

I'll drink to that! A healthy mug of spice beer!! (calms the nerves)

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haveing read the book many years ago, I'll say that the mini series is bland. The acting is bad, and they have blown through the story so fast, and so much is left out. I understand that they have to do that with Dune, but they created story for the emporors daughter that wasn't part of the book, and then take Duncan and drop all but a few seconds of his story. one a one to ten scale, the mini series is no more then a 5.

------------------
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.
Bob Dylan

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Book-wise, i only like Dune, the rest got a little too slow for me.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things I didn't like about the mini series...

Glossing over Dr. Yueh. He was a KEY player in House Atredies downfall.

Glossing over Thufir Hawat.

Duncan's death.

Leto's death scene. (Although I DID enjoy the Baron's performance)

The Bene Gesserit. What was with those HATS anyway? Who here didn't fine Sian Phillips's performance from the Lynch movie to be down right creepy and this broad's (from the mini series) to be, well...sad?

I hate to say this but there's something about how Jessica was played that seemed off to me. Like i've said before, Francesca Annis and Jurgen Prochnow will always be my Lady Jessica and Duke Leto.

And no CALADAN! What the hell? I wanted to see Caladan!

Things I DID like - The Guild Highliners. Wow. And the Steersman too. I think that was as close as anyone's gotten to what they're supposed to be like.

The Fremen. Good fleshing out. I really belived that they were so glossed over in Lynch's movie and totally exposed in the mini series. I also liked the bit where Jessica spoke to Mapes in Chakobsa.

Overall, I give the mini series a B average. Good. Not great but good enough for me.

Quatre.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see how anyone could top Lynch's Navigator scene. Not quite an orthodox depiction, but very cool.

"We foresee a slight problem. The Duke's son. We want him killed. I did not say this. I am not here."

------------------
"I finally see that what we thought was a fun way to celebrate our love was really an expression of hostility and disrespect toward Jesus."
--
Bill Metz, in The Onion
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps