Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Dune Miniseries(possible $) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Dune Miniseries(possible $)
Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Steersmen in the miniseries was awfully close to how Edric (I think that was his name) was described as looking in Dune Messiah. The Lynch Navigators looked like "Big Floating heads", IMHO.

Quatre.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll grant you that the dessert looked fake, and thet the backdrops were obvious. But I felt that these elements were very compelling. I mean the backdrops were beautiful, like something out of a painting. It lent the entire story a very surreal air. This surreality was less obvious for the indoor scenes and those not on Arrakis. Things looked stranger there, particularly when the scene was out in the desert where the influence of spice might have caused your mind to see things differently.

------------------
"I�d say we have about three hours before we get a call from mister brain-bomb." - VIDROS

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm. . . fake dessert. . .

------------------
"I do prefer the arse, but you can't dismiss the leg. They're joined at the hip, so to speak."

- Liam Kavanagh

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the dessert wasn't cannon. They were a bit NIEVE there!

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised it got past the sensors. Especially with the proper Millenium coming up. �)

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, obviously faked backgrounds, but at least they looked like our heroes were on an alien planet --- unlike various Canadian woodland settings for Stargate, identical outdoor locations for 2 different planets in "Starship Troopers", or the famous English quarries of Doctor Who.

Still wonder about the Bene Gesserit costumes. Although, to be fair, one thing we don't see a lot of in televised or movie SF is ... hats. Some grubby cap of some kind, that's it. The headgear of the Dune minseries, while occassionally odd, was at least different.

Mixed feelings about making Princess Irulan into a major character, or the lame way that Duncan Idaho disappeared.

Best thing about this version: no bloody David Lynch. Every scene was properly LIT

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To say nothing of the glossing over they gave Dr. Yueh and Thufir Hawat.

On a side note, I got the "Secrets of Dune" book and DVD. It's pretty interesting stuff. If you have to have it, well then go and get it. If not, well you won't miss much.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps