Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Aliens - Biological Cyborgs? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Aliens - Biological Cyborgs?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen other pictures of the Nostromo or her drop-shuttle, do any of you know any schematics or pictures of the model? I already have a nice 3D-model of the Sulaco.
Maybe the webring there has some...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alien was a horror film with SF trappings. Not a bad one; far better than any that have tried to imitate it, but hardly a vanguard of intelligent speculation about the future.

------------------
I have been floated to this spot this hour
On a series of events
I cannot explain
--
Olivia Tremor Control
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Read, read, read, read, read me now.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Alien vs Predator series is nothing more than non canon. I would not use them to explain the origin of the Xenomorph.

I will go on to extend TLE's theory one step further. I saw this in an Alien Comic book, and it is probably a very viable theory on how the Alien came about.

Yes, the xenomorph probably came from a natural home world. And in that home world, the xenomorph would be able to feast on any species that they could get their hands on. However, they were usually kept in check by a variety of other species that would use them for food (maybe their alkaline blood is actually good for something).

So there are prey of the Xenomorphs, and of course, there are Predators that prey on the Xenomorphs.

What this comic proposes is that a particular group of humanoids (or advanced species with ships whatever you call it) travelling across the galaxy were impressed by the potential of these xenomorphs and wanted to have their own breed. So they go down, and they are able to fetch their own Queen for their own abuse and profit.

The queen escapes. And without any natural predators of the Xenomorph, there is only prey. And prey it did.

I surmise that the crashed ship in Alien was one of those looking to exploit the Xenomorph for their own evil deeds. And it backfired on them. As a last-ditch attempt to eliminate the menace, they crash the ship on a desolate planet. It appears that an alien queen survived the crash (probably the one that popped out of that big guy), and began to sow the seeds of the Alien Chronicles by laying her eggs and living off any food source before she expired.

Keep in mind that these Xenomorphs are pretty smart aliens. The queen, like other nursing species wants to raise her offspring in a more desireable environment. I surmise that she was able to find some sort of stasis chamber and laid her eggs there.

Maybe that's where she found her nourishment to lay her eggs.........

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are referring to Genocide with the comics. That was made into a book as well. Much nicer reading IMO.

I agree with most of what you said, in fact there's even a short comic book story about what you are referring to- egg hunters who steal them for use as food of all things! That's a far off one though.

------------------
Three important questions to ask an alien before having sex:
(1) Are you carrying any diseases which might be communicable to humans?
(2) Have you had sex with any high-risk partners in the past six months?
(3) Which one is your mouth?

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think, bottomline is that ANYONE dumb enough to exploit (or try to) the Xenomorphs pretty much get what they deserve.

On a tangent, semi-related: I've always had the impression that the Xeno's had some form of chemical language, much akin to ants on Earth. That may why they've never had to evolve any eyes or ears or any other kind of sensory apparatus.

Another thing that crossed my mind. I would assume trhat the Xeno's original habitat or most prefered one is cave-like dwellings. They seem to do VERY well in enclosed spaces.

Quatre.

------------------
"Omae o korusu..." - Heero Yuy

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they use some form of echo-location and/or chemical and telepathic communication. Echo-location obviously would be more a hunting sensory use and chemical and telepathic for communicating with eachother/the Queen.

------------------
Three important questions to ask an alien before having sex:
(1) Are you carrying any diseases which might be communicable to humans?
(2) Have you had sex with any high-risk partners in the past six months?
(3) Which one is your mouth?

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaand I'm back from the holidays, been in GB for ten days. I had thought of using a cyber-caf� but I didn't, so there!

About the alien sensory organs, there are some good deductions on that homepage.
The use of pheromones for comm and heat/pressure/smell pores on the forehead for senses is fine in my book.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Teelie
Member # 280

I never really liked the "pyschic" sense thing where the Xenos could feel their prey's fear and hunt them that way. In one book, they said if someone was fearless or not afraid of a (weakened) Xeno, it wouldn't attack. I think it would anyways.
Nim
Member # 205

Yes.
Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some more clues on the Alien 20th. Anniversary DVD. Anyone else have it?

------------------

Teelie
Member # 280

I don't but I want it.
Nim
Member # 205

Just watched "Pitch Black". Cool monsters, although a total Xeno-ripoff.
I liked the scene where Vin Diesel took advantage of their blind spot. Although there were two bugs, he managed to get away with a leg wound.

20th anniversary DVD??? WHERE??? WHEN???

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

I dunno when it came out but you can get em' at Saturday Matinee. It's chock full of extra features including a few scenes that got cut from the movie...

*SPOILER ALERT!*
...such as a bitch fight between Ripley and Lambert and the infamous "cocoon" scenes where Ripley comes across Dallas and crew all tucked away.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's what I'm thinking of, it was released on laserdisc a few years back, and is now available on VHS as well.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Teelie
Member # 280

Oh, I know the scenes, I've seen them (in documenteries only) and want the full original version. If it's on DVD with the scenes properly inserted, I'm buying.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps