Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Andromeda "Star-Crossed" Question (Spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Andromeda "Star-Crossed" Question (Spoilers)
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoilers for the newest episode of Andromeda may be included in this post. Turn back now or scroll down at your own risk. I really don't care one way or the other.

$
$
:: Token Spoiler Space ::
$
$

All right. I'm relatively new to Andromeda. That's mainly because it's on at an unfortunate time in my neck of the woods. However, I caught "Star-Crossed" and a question popped into my head. What is the nature of Andromeda (the AI not the ship)?

A big to-do was made about her lovely android form (I think it was called an "avatar?") leaving the ship to elope. Isn't this just one of several such androids the AI can control? I know references have been made before to the effect of at any one time the AI is about 100 different robots and 'droids as well as the holographic, voice, and video versions. So isn't there like some vast store room of 'droids somewhere on that ship that contain nothing but Lexa Doig look-alikes?

Or am I completely missing the boat on this one?

------------------
God (using a Devil hand puppet): Yaagh! I'm the Devil! I'm evil! I'm spooky! I'm dark! And I'm evil! Gimme an "E!" Gimme a "V!" Gimme a "U!" Gimme an "L!" What's that spell? Evil! Goooo EVIL!
Devil: Hey, yo, that shit ain't funny!
--from Tatsuya Ishida's Sinfest

Founder, president, CEO, CFO, COO, under-secretary general, mascot, and caterer of the APAO

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I' have yet to see an Andromeda episode, but I do know that Rommie (as she is also known) is the 'essence' (aka: avatar) of the whole ship. Think of it as one step ahead of the computer on Star Trek ships.

And she is certainly NOT an android, she is an organic based ship! But she controls a lot of androids that are on (and off?) the ship.

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been keeping up lately, but I have seen the first several episodes. I believe the hundred or so androids you're talking about are the androids that look like robots. Andromeda didn't get her human body until a couple of episodes into the series, when the engineer-whats-his-name found the instructions to "build" her a body. I was under the impression that her body is organic, but maybe she's more like a borg.

------------------
"I was as dead as a lesbian black chick at a republican fundraiser."
--Burns Flipper, The Longest Journey

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get this Android thing you guys are talking about...

1. is she an extention of the ship's computer?
2. is she an completely self-sufficient robot?
3. is she an semi self-sufficient robot with some tie to the computer?

Is she as good as Data? Because frankly, I don't see a point of having her if she's just a robot with a pretty face( another word, without any special skills). I mean Data is good to have around cuz his brain is as good as any starship computer.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She is NOT a robot!

The best thing you could compare it with is The Doctor who is tied in with every computersystem. She is a holographic representation of the ships consciousness...

Now if you call the ship a robot, then yes she I'd agree that is a robot.

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tora Ziyal, thank you for your answer! You've just won a free date with ME! the next time you're in Houston.

If there is only one organic/physical/I-can-go-down-to-that-planet-and-all-this-other-stuff type of "body," then I can perfectly understand why the crew didn't want to see her leave the ship.

BlueElectron, this is how I see things (since I've been doing heavy searching on the Internet). We have this beautiful actress actress named Lexa Doig who played the role of "Andromeda" or "Rommie" for short. She is the Artificial Intelligence of the Andromeda Ascendent (in other words, the computer). This is a really ultimate AI entity that controls all of the ship and can control all of the ship's robots (look like little toasters on wheels to me) and androids (look like a cross between C3P0 and the robot from Metropolis). The AI has the ability to pop up on viewscreens and in areas of the ships as a hologram, much like the doctor.

However, what I was talking about is the physical being that we've seen walking around the ship, going for trips in the Maru, strolling around on planets, and all this other stuff. This is not a hologram, but is a physical body that (according to Ziyal) was built by Harper. Evidently, part or an entire copy of the Andromeda AI is stored in this body. A few episodes back (Spoilers), she (the organic/physical/yadda body) went with Dylan onto a planet and got trapped there. She still functioned and the ship still had a functional AI, but they were completely cut off from each other. In this newest episode, Dylan shuts down the Andromeda AI, yet the "body" was reactivated without the Andromeda AI being reactivated.

I think I understand it now. Whew!

------------------
God (using a Devil hand puppet): Yaagh! I'm the Devil! I'm evil! I'm spooky! I'm dark! And I'm evil! Gimme an "E!" Gimme a "V!" Gimme a "U!" Gimme an "L!" What's that spell? Evil! Goooo EVIL!

Founder, president, CEO, CFO, COO, under-secretary general, mascot, and caterer of the APAO

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, well, Data is still better!

------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Hmm... Let's take a look at that. Who would I rather be dating? Data or Rommie? Hmm...

Nope. Definitely has to be Rommie.

------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

well, if you look at it that way, I guess that's the right answer.

But who do you want as a comrade in a battle?

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. T

------------------
"I said 'You are, you are,
The only one who sees.'
I said, 'You are, you are'
The only strength I need.'"
---Kim Leaman, "Mary"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've watched every ep of andrmeda so far, and I'm still not sure how the AI and the Avatar are tied together. The engineer, Haper, built the Droid in a very bad episode called "To Loose The Faithful Lighting". In that ep, the Avatar had full controll of the ships systems, inculding gravity controll, and used it to stop a group of children that were about to take over the ship. In this last ep, Rommie(The Avatar)seems to be more independent then it seemed early in the series. I know in one episode, where she a Dylan were thrown in prison, her batteries were running down. A reference was made that Harper could improve on her power supply so she could leave with her new boyfriend(also an Avatar), but one scene had Rommie argueing with her own holo image and another andromeda image on a screen, like each one has it's own personalty. Frankly, if the last two eps aren't a lot better then what I've seen so far, I wont be watching next season. I've only continued to watch because of Moding at Slipstrembbs.

------------------
yes, I'm very dutrnk at the moment, and i'm doing my type to best so shut up! JK

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd rather have Rommie as a comrade in battle. Data's not a FRIKIN' big ship like Andromeda.

So far as I can tell, Andromeda copies herself to wherever she's needed (avatar, droid, screen, whatever), and when two copies interface, their memories merge. She's just a computer program. The avatar can, of course, control the ship, because she IS the ship.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some new info, now that "Star-Crossed" has shown. Apparently, the Avatar can develop a seperate personality based upon experiences. It's a different copy of the same being. Like the whole Tom Riker thing.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to know why Hunt ordered "HARD LEFT!" during combat.

Shouldn't he be ordering "HARD PORT!"?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it matter? They mean the same thing. And I doubt they're supposed to be speaking English (despite the common fallacy of making plays on words that wouldn't work except in English), so whatever non-English word he used could be translated back into English as either "port" or "left" and be the same...

------------------
Lister: "Drop dead, Rimmer."
Rimmer: "Already have done."
Lister: "Encore."
-Red Dwarf, "Kryten"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps