Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Honor Harrington (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Honor Harrington
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And *I* on the other hand, just finished "Basilisk Station"!
Most of it I read from my sunchair on the porch of our house in the country during the last four days, so the setting was perfect. This is where I like to do my summer reading, or perhaps in the swing couch next to the house.

Anyhow, a short, spontaneous review from Niklas.

---------------

Overall

I really liked the setting, with mixed human colony powers that fight over territory and such, expansionists versus conservatives... And aside from the medusans, there weren't any aliens at all, which was nice for a change.
The decision to incorporate pistol duels was a nice touch, sounds so "olde british", in a way.

Death

I'm glad Weber decided to use the ingredient of Death with care and temperance, for example the Dune series has so much death and sorrow in it all the time that it gets really, really depressing at times. The worth of a person's life is too low in Dune.
In this book, I was comfortable with the patrol duties Honor executed at Basilisk WITHOUT having to shoot and hack people all the time.
For once it was "just another boring and hard day on the job", not continuous martial law and people die die die. I am really enjoying the peace time in the book, there are more options. Like in old TNG, pre borg. It was, just...nice.
I have no doubt there's gonna be turbulence in the coming books, but this is good too.

Timeframe

I was a bit confused by the timeframe of this book at first, they count their years AD "After Diaspora", from when the first colonist ship left Old Earth. When exactly was this???
I can't convert what year it would be according to OUR calendar...
On the other hand, it's nice that it's a little vague, I don't really need to know how long it's been, it's more interesting to read about of the history they made THEMSELVES, after founding Manticore and Haven.

Honor Harrington and Equality

Honor Harrington is an interesting character, not Demi Moore (too cocky) and not the bland, perfect hero that is so overrepresented in some books. But I like "determined military girl".

Is the english pocket cover art of "Basilisk" accepted by Weber as a canon image of her? I like it, although they made Nimitz' eyes red instead of green. And Ms Harrington is described as not wearing makeup in the book, whereas on the cover of "Basilisk" she does have lipstick and eyeliner.

The equality between the sexes is very nice. That was hard to uphold, of course, when I read what the medusans did to skimmer captain Frances Malcolm in the start of the terrible medusan uprising.

Meow!

The "treecat" idea is nice, Nimitz seems to read his mistress quite good, and it reminds me of Ellen Ripley and her Jonesey.
It's a nice touch that the 'cats are so accepted in the military, and that Honor even wears a special pad on her shoulder for him to grip his claws in.
I'm also glad she gets ANY physical contact (a la cat) with someone as she must get terribly lonely as captain. And stroking a cat lowers blood pressure!

Crew matters

The delicate chemistry between the officers (and other crew as well) was very interesting, especially the measures Honor had to take to make them function properly and trust her.
The functions and actions of a captain can be so diverse and complicated sometimes, it seems.

Spaceships & Other Technology

The technical bit was great. I liked the spaceship flora very much. It's been long since I heard the term "dreadnought", and they have it in "super"-flavour, as well. Yum!

The ships sounded more non-aerodynamic compared to Star Trek, in fact more like the Sulaco from Aliens or the ships in Starship Troopers.
(I was just wondering, in what size order did the cutter, skimmer and pinnace come?)
I can't wait to read about that newly built of the "Star Knight" class, it sounds yummy.

The weapons and other technology felt fresh and new to me, what with the impeller drive, the impeller "wedge", laser-burst torpedoes and that crazy gravlance!
I hope they make the 'lance work better in the other six books, it sounds just as untamed and unrefined as the Defiant's cannons in the beginning.
The countermeasure equipment was exciting, as was the intricate details of missile combat.
I don't think I've ever read such a thoroughly depicted space battle as between Fearless and the Sirius.

An unusual aspect of their shields was that some part of the shield belt could take pretty much anything because of its nature, composition and energy feed.
It had something to do with the impeller nodes, which I guess works as "shield emitters", I guess.
Apparently they varied in size from civilian to military grade. Mmm...

I liked when Honor dashed past that "Crown Courier" with her ship, severely denting it with her shields, then practically sticking her head out the window, saying "oops, sorry did that hurt??"

The chase of the Q-Ship Sirius had me sitting on the edge of my seat, that was a cliffhanger. The order for full emergency military power was right on the spot. Just throw them traffic laws out the window!!!

I also liked the author's vessel designation of HMS instead of USS or some federation/union/confederacy/empire/gov-force shortening. We have a queen here!
Also, the term "officer of the crown" simply sounds good. Is David Weber from the UK?

Conclusion

I really enjoyed this book and will jump at the other ones shortly, looking forward to many lovely hours in this new universe.
I just have to learn not to read too much at a time, I want to stretch out the fun, it always feels so sad to put down a good book that you've finished. This book flew past way too fast.

Oh no, I may even have to ration the chapters! Only four per day, young man!!! (builds character)

Anyway, I give it 10 out of 10 and scratch the tip of Honor's nose. Thanks for introducing me to this book, Mr Phyle. Goodnight.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought of another thing. Apparently, the aboriginal medusans are three-legged, tall and have no real joints, more like soft creases in their limbs.

This was back in -93, so I think we might have the original inspiration to Species 8472...

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...right.
Nim
Member # 205

Mhmm.
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you enjoyed it Nimmie. Let me know what you think of #2. BTW, the series takes place some 2000 years from now.

Trust me, the series gets better. I'm re-reading 'In Enemy Hands' again - and enjoying the personal interplay. The space battles also get better. You will find views of the ships in the flyleaves of the later books.

This is one of the authors whose works I can read multiple times (also Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, Clancy). Get hold of Weber's 'Mutineer's Moon' - it is part 1 of a trilogy - and also exzcellent.

BTW: according to a usually-reliable source, Mr. Weber lives in my own home town of Vancouver, BC.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Nim
Member # 205

Yay, shipviews!
The personal interplay is one of the strongest and most enjoyable traits, yes.
Aah, Vancouver. My brother is going there soon.

Well there's no way I can stop now that I've gotten the scent of these books. This summer will be nice.

About the personal duels and firing squads of Manticoran society, do you also feel it kind of resembles that of Starship Troopers, only much less fascism?
I mean, they don't seem barbaric enough to whip people, or use violence to keep the people in check (as Radscak put it), maybe they are trying to strive for a democratic rule, mixed with the somewhat harsh but courteous "British Gentleman's 1800's"?

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Starship Troopers back in high school and read it again a few years ago when the movie came out. I really missed the power armor and the bugs with guns. It's also a great source for ships names. I liked a lot of his stuff from the 50s and 60s (including his "juvenile stuff"), but could never stay awake through any of his phonebook-sized later novels.
Another favorite of mine from high school was The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman. I recommned the original version rather than the recently "restored" reissue.

I haven't read any recent "combat SF" but I assumed it was pretty much a poor imitation of Tom Clancy with space ships and ray guns. Is there anything good out there?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Nim
Member # 205

I also loved the pressure-reactive armor of ST, and that's another reason I liked Honor Harrington, Weber's description of the many different groundbased units with configurable power armor.
Apparently the armor can be equally beefed up and stripped of components to allow it be used in the heavy weapons support role as well as lightfoot recon squads running at 60km/h silently.
I won't tell you too much, though, the pleasure lies in reading it yourself for the first time.

I have read many "mainstream" sci-fi/space opera novels and short stories, and I don't think HH is pulp fiction at all. It satisfies both my gizmo-appetite (ship details, field tactics and such) and that for personal interaction, hidden agendas, mind games, conflicts.

I'm itching to get the second book before I go to Hultsfred.
It has proved to be nice to lay in the grass in front of your tent, reading something and taking in fluids to help you recover from the drinking battles of yesterday...

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can get ahold of "Ashes of Honor" -look at the first 6 pages. All of the ships -some in 3d-cutaway.
Nim
Member # 205

They only had books 4 and 5 in stock but they order new ones all the time, it's popular.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Well, as I said, Ashes of Victory has a profile view of all classes. Some of these ships are huge.

BTW: The best story is probably Echoes of Honor.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Well, Mr. Phyle, I'm going to start on "In Enemy Hands" soon.
This summer has been very book efficient. At the countryhouse I found four new places to read in, heh. And the weather has been great, still is.
I even squeezed in "1984" while I was currently out of Honor... Maybe it wasn't such a good call now that I think about it, I felt an enormous urge to start drinking heavy after finishing that book. It was a bit, howyousay, depressing? :-)

Anyhow, if anyone here is reading, or will read, the Honor Harrington novels then be warned, I shall spoil some.
$
$
$
$
(Occasional Spoilers)
$
$
$
$

Let's see now.

Honor of the Queen
Got her gloves off and got down and dirty in unarmed combat, the 'cat was very impressive.
Interesting development of the grayson situation of course. They brought up some good issues.

The introduction of the peep Sultan class was cool, I've noticed them later on as well.
The treatment of the female Manticoran crew at Blackbird Station really caught me offguard. I had a hunch what was going on but Weber is really merciless in his descriptions...

The Short Victorious War
Battlecruiser Reliant class HMS Nike, *sigh*. Lovely boat, saynomore, saynomore.
Funny, I don't remember much apart from the beginning of the book and the end battle, she didn't spend much time "dirtside" on Grayson, did she?
I was pleased Pavel Young was introduced again into the story, I'd forgotten about him. Little did I know...

Field of Dishonor
I really got moved at certain parts of the book, I don't know what it is but I've never been so immersed in a book before this series. The quick, unforeseen death of Paul Tankersley even made me swear through my teeth.
Honor's prowess with the pistol was an interesting turn of events, too. I was expecting some outdrawn mind-game or something, not such an exhibition of terror!
The banishment to Grayson did it's job on the drama too, I hadn't started thinking of the interesting change of scenery yet, just the disgrace of it.

Flag In Exile
Poor girl. Of the books I've read so far, this one was certainly the most physically demanding for her. Introducing swordfighting was great, again (in the last duel) I had anticipated an outdrawn match were Honor finally defeats the fanatical pig through luck or something but this was gruesome.
I found new respect for superdreadnoughts, and the way they restored the captured peep ships and threw them back at them, very cocky. Alfredo Yu could've been used more, I hope his time's not up yet.

Honor Among Enemies
Q-Ships! And on our side for once!!! The newfound uses of the missile pods felt good, and the element of surprise when they whipped around on unsuspecting piratesgave me tingling sensations in the groin.
Also the sidestories with the peep captain was good, they can't all be crazy expansionist assholes.

The common respect among officers, regardless of navy, was nice, although maybe the peep captains were a bit too grateful in the ending of the book, saluting to Honor and having dinner with her all the time. Of course, what choice did they have? They were alive!

It really saddens me to know there's only three books left. I always feel that way when finishing a good book. And a whole series? *sigh*
It was hard with the original Dune books, but at least I had a glimpse of hope there, when I heard they would make prequels and maybe later on even continuations on the last original book.

I suppose Weber won't continue on the Harrington saga after "Ashes of Victory"? Of course, I haven't read it, so no spoiling!! :-)

Those other three books, "More than Honor", "Worlds of Honor" and "Changer of Worlds", are they any good? I mean, since Weber didn't write them, only edit them...
Should I read them AFTER "Ashes..." or squeeze them in somewhere between book #7, #8 and #9???

I really hope I can get my brother to start reading these books, it's so frustrating not to be able to discuss these things properly.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

I won't spoil anything - nothing should interfere with the enjoyment of these novels.

Yes, there is indeed room and 'untied threads' - the author could indeed continue writing should he care to.

I NEVER read 'guest writer' stuff (okay, maybe Kzin Wars).

When you finish Honor, read Weber's 'Mutineer's Moon' trilogy. Reads like an unnatural cross-breed of Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle. Excellent.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Phew, I was scared "Ashes..." would be the last one, that felt so sad. I'm currently at 60% of "Ashes...", the development is oh so lovely, what with the new Harr- I mean Medusa class and the Shrike-B. Mmm, that author sure knows how to make us ship buffs "darool, darool!".
And to think I was afraid she never would get a new eye when I saw her with an eyepatch on the cover, the one with the green LAC carriers deploying fighters.

Sometimes during my vacation reading I surprised myself, when I got to parts like Honor's family watching her "hanging", or when she met up with them on the Harrington Steading spaceport and my dad suddenly started talking about some mundane stuff in the newspaper or telling me to grab the dishes this time.
I could go "Hey!!! I'm on the last twenty pages of this here book, there's a LOT of bad stuff happening right now, a LOT of bad stuff is going down, OK??? Um, sorry."

Mutineer's moon, eh? We'll see about that.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Seriously, you'll love it. The characters are just as real - and you will NEVER look at a full moon the same way again.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps