Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Honor Harrington (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Honor Harrington
HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Honor Harrington Series is a really great read. A firend introduced em to me. I read all he had, then went out and slowly built up my collection untill I now have em all! The "guest writers" books are accually quite good IMHO. They fill in a lot of the stuff that wasnt covered thoroughly in Webbers books, like how the Commitee(sp?) of Public Safety came to power and how McQueen's attempted coup worked out. There are also good stories that give us more info on treecat lives and thier society. Though they may not be as great as the series itself, they provide lots of usefull info for fleshing out Honor's universe and some are a pretty good read in their own right. To anyone who hasn't read any of Weber's work, go get one now! Very few will come away disapointed. I also really like the 3 books that David Weber has done with Steve White ("Insurrection", "Crusade", and "In Death Ground"). Heres to hoping that the Honor Harrington series continues for years to come!

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sincerely hope so too.
I'm very close to the end of "Ashes of Victory" now, right when the Masadan freighter captain has fired his stealth missiles at Honor and her entourage.
I don't want to read more than one chapter per day now, I don't want the book to end so soon.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*two hours of shameless reading later*
Well that was fun! I am now in love with Shannon Foraker and want to marry her much.
"Oops" indeed.
But the last chapters really increased my curiosity in manticoran domestic politics, the backstory about poor "rock-and-a-hard-place" Queen Elizabeth alone could spawn a lot of good stough.
And I am delighted in Weber's strategy when ending the book.

The way I see it, he's got more room to continue in different scenarios in the next episode(s).
There's so much that could be done, and I hope such seldomly used cards as the Andermani, San Martin and the Guild will be used more.

I was a bit surprised by Weber's note about continuity in the end of the book, but it's certainly nice to know he takes it so seriously.

Hmm, I'll go back to bed now.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

HappyTarget
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for HappyTarget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have started a fan fic in the Honor Harrington universe just in case anyone is interested. It can be found at http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000733

Feel free to leave coments and observations, both good and bad. I need feedback in order to tell if its good or what can be improved.

--------------------
Jack O'Neal - I like their style. Shoot first, send flowers later.

Todd Flanders - Ow, my fricken ears!

Nim
Member # 205

Aaah. What have we here? I seldom go to "Design..." nowadays, and the title didn't give any hints about the Honor universe. I'll go have a peek.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
Member # 205

Well, Treknophyle, if you're still with us, I recently bought the third Dahak-volume, "Heirs of Empire". I'm at 50% now, it's real good. The whole series was great, you were right.

Anyhow, since I waited extra long for the book, they had to order a whole new batch to my favorite shop 'cause it's s popular, I got the newest, eighth print, January, 2002!
And guess what was printed in the second page?

"Other books by David Weber
Honor Harrington
blah-1
blah-2
blah-3
blah-4
blah-5
blah-6
blah-7
blah-8
Ashes of Victory (blah-9)
War Of Honor (Forthcoming)!!!!

They didn't even have that info on his own website. How do you like them apples, Happy and Phyle?

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm Baaaaaak!

Sorry for the hiatus - haven't been at the office - and my home computer needed major work.

Jazzed to hear about the new Honor book. Is it 'pure' Weber?

Nim
Member # 205

Yes, it is not listed as either an "anthology" or "written with Blah Blaherson".

Furthermore, I have now finished Heirs of Empire (they really "went medieval on their asses") and although it was written in -96 I have confidence he'll continue on the theme, since the Achultaani threat still is there, and there are a couple of more loose ends.

I don't know where he's heading with his new fantasy books, though, they are said to be rather mediocre.
But I haven't tried them myself, so...

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, speaking for myself, life is too short to read fantasy.

But I'm cheered to hear about the new Harrington.

Tks!

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Nim
Member # 205

New info, www.Scifan.com says the estimated publishing date is June, 2002.
I just luuv that summer reading...

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Thanks for the new site guy!

BTW - I'm glad I 'turned' you to HH. Always a big thrill to show a fellow sf fan a new good series.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Yes, I am grateful for the recommendation, it wouldn't have stood out against the other pocket books in the shop, had I judged it by its cover. [Smile]

It's funny, I loved reading "Lord of the Rings" but there are some things and emotions in HH that just can't be compared to anything else. At least, I don't want to compare it to anything else. :-)

The Dahak-tip was good too. ("You won't look at the moon the same way again", whyIoughtta...)

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Treknophyle
Member # 509

That's why I consider it the best of hard sf so far - quite a feat when you consider I revere Heinlein as I do.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

HA!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0743435451.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Goddamn shit though, that it is scheduled for November release. I wanted to read it on the summerhouse porch, like the last one. Well, should be enough of a sacrifice. [Smile]

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I snese a visit to amazon coming on...
I have 10 weeks of summer holiday this year [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ; the upside of exams. So, plenty of time for reading. Has anyone read The Outward Urge by John Wyndham and Lucas Parkes? It is really good, though slightly dated now.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps