Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Could the Stargate really exist? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Could the Stargate really exist?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. The last symbol is the "source" symbol. Which also means the previous gates seen on ships couldn't work, either (supposedly, they could be used anytime they were close enough to a planet). Someone wasn't thinking...

------------------
"Adults Do Not Teach By Examples, But By Word Scams That Brainwash And Indoctrinate Their Children's Malleable Minds, Destroying Youth. Rote Education Corrupts Childhood, Forcing Children To Become Adults."
-Gene Ray

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or perhaps the symbols were encoded into the gates after their permanant positions were chosen. No problem there, except the massive logistics of such a thing. Then, the symbols are just helpful hints to us sentient beings who try to use the gates, not directions for the gates themselves. Thus, you could take our gate to Vulcan, and it'd still have the same destination code.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true...if the symbol represented the gate rather than the planet, it could still work. You just couldn't use two gates at the same time (as per the episode where they found Earth's second gate).

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... I suppose that's true...

------------------
"Even the colors are pompous!"
-a friend of mine, looking at a Lexus brochure

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I still think the idea of having a gate on a ship is a dumb one. They've always been presented as planet side transport. Connected to the planet it's on in some way... And I love the way we see them presented on the different planets. How different cultures have come ot regard them and how many have figured out that they need to bury them to keep them from being used. Pretty cool.

Who built them anyway? Was it the Asgard? I think I've asked that question before...

------------------

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, the Goa'uld built the Stargates.

------------------
"I don't mind being called a liar when I'm lying, or am about to lie, or have just finished lying, but NOT WHEN I'M TELLING THE TRUTH!"--Homer Simpson.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one knows (or is telling) who built the gates. It certainly wasn't the Gou'ald. Or the Asgard.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

So these various races have simply found them and are making use of them for their purposes? Both the Gou'ald and the Asgard have intersteller travel capabilities don't they?

Here's a thing though...In the ep where they found Earth's second gate, I remember someone asking Tealc what would happen if a planet's gate was destroyed or became unusable. He said they would install another one or something. So that means that the Gou'ald must have the ability to at least construct new ones even if they didn't originally build them, right?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so. So far, only the Tollan have shown the know-how to build one. I'm pretty sure the bad guys would just grab one from some other planet and ship it where they wanted to.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The last symbol is the "source" symbol. Which also means the previous gates seen on ships couldn't work, either (supposedly, they could be used anytime they were close enough to a planet). Someone wasn't thinking...

BLAST THE INFERNAL PAIR OF BRAGA AND BERMAN!!!!!! BLAST THEM FOR RUINING ALL OF STARGATE...er...Trek...er...shit.

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earth is the orgin of most life in the galaxy. It has many names. its symbol is the triangle with the circle on top. (the one that appears in the stargate logo)
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, info from the movie shouldnt be applied from the show. hell look at Ra.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda late, but just a thought: no one knew who built the hyperspace gates in Babylon 5 either (well, probably the First One, but they didn't take the credit). However, all the younger races figured out how to use and build them pretty quickly. They didn't appear that hard to reverse engineer and copy.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "First One", do you mean Lorien?

I always got the impression that the Vorlon's built the jumpgates. They were the only one of the "First Ones" who actually used the standard form of jump-gate/point.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

nickcass
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for nickcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the ancients built the gates
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps