Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Which sci-fi ship or vehicle do you hate the most. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Which sci-fi ship or vehicle do you hate the most.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I nominate Darth Vader's Starfighter and every single ship that made an appearance on Battlestar Galactica!
IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None. the ships are what make me love sci-fi, not the derivative stories. i don't think there's ever been a "bad" ship design for me. Even the silly ones hold a special place in my heart.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not keen on all this modern 'organic' feel to ships. Give me the boxy, panelled ships of old any day. By organic ships I mean the likes of The White Star, and that horrible Andromeda, I don't like pretentious ship designs that look like they've just come out of a jello mold

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like it when ships have too much surface detail, like they've been coated with glue and rolled in a spare parts box. A good ship design comes from a good shape, not from the surface detail. For this reason I'm not too fond of ships that came out right after the original Star Wars, like Battlestar Galactica and the Bad Guys' ship from Buck Rogers (both of which came from the Universal Hartland facility, I think).

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship I hate the most is this big black thing siumilar in shape to the Rebel Blockade Runner, that's shown up in countless cheap Sci-Fi movies (often Corman-produced) over the past 20 years. It first appeared, I believe, in Battle Beyond the Stars. Last seen as an Earth deep-space probe in a film called Terminal Voyage.

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: Vogon Poet ]

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vader's Tie Prototype was ugly, but that didn't make it unlikable, fortunately. The angled wings compared to the ordinary TIEs flat ones was what made it so cool, IMO.

The big Minbari cruisers look like fishtank fish, like the big one in "A Fish Called Wanda". They may be powerful but they look stupid, like octopus craniums or something.

I think all fat, spherical ships are bad, generally, like the "Titan AE", or Flash Gordon's escape craft from earth.
A Borg Sphere is different, because it's design is really dedicated to the idea.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally dis-like extremely a-symmetrical designs (like that Hutt Dreadnaught in the Star Wars Guide to Vehicles and Vessels).

Some of the Star Wars ships in comics are very peculiar as well...

But I have yet to see an ugly ship on TV or in a movie.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The LEXX

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like any ships with excesseve detail, or anyones that are assymetrical or organic shaped. like the Hutt dreadnought or th Mon Cal Cruisers.

I like my ships to be streamlined, sleek, and aerodynamic, like the A-wing or the Hapes Nova battlecruisers. or the Bop from Star Trek.

By the way. has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the HApes Nova and the Bop?

I don't like my ships blocky like the Star destroyers bridge.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think the bridge is blocky?
But they've got such a nice layout with the control panels and the big window and that nice catwalk in the middle...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not the interior bridge, i meant the superstructure. sorry for the confusion.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To tell you the truth.. I like smoother looking ships. Not the super organic ones like 8472 or the Zerg from Starcraft, but ones like the Akira or Dauntless. I dont like boxy ones except for the borg... hehe.

I really hate uneven non symetrical designs. Those breen ships make me puke.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cosmonaut Alexi Leonov from 2010 was so crappy looking, ESPECIALLY compared to the Discovery
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, I liked Leonev because of its brutal, overengineered lines. The filmmakers actually put in a centrifuge rather than relying on the magic of artificial gravity. Also, it never pays to criticize a Syd Mead design!

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: Masao ]

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, Discovery used centrifugal force too.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps