Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Quantum Leap (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quantum Leap
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the upcoming series Enterprise I was wondering does anyone else watch Scott Bakula's previous series Quantum Leap.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive seen every episode. The last one is the best.

I wish the bastards never took it off the air.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. If Bakula was still in it, then without his star power they might never have got bloody Enterprise off the ground. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen "Quantum Leap," ever. I especially haven't seen the one where he leaps into Al that has Terry Farrell & Roddy McDowall in it.

"You've never seen it, either."
"No."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry Farrell actually does a nude scene of sorts in that ep. Now, I don't know if it's actually her or a body double. But when Sam first leaps in, she walks up to him on the beach in the nude. The camera is blurry in just the right places.

I thought the last episode was confusing as hell. They managed to contradict a bunch of details about leaping. But they had been doing that all along. But I did like the ep. Kinda sad, but good.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a body-stocking. 8)

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They managed to contradict a bunch of details about leaping."

Out of curiosity, what were they? I started watching it quite late, and quite irregularly, so I'm not an expert.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was always the contradiction about whether or not Al could see Sam leap. They had fairly clearly decided that he could, but then in the finale he said that he didn't know what it looked like.

There was also the controversy as to whether Al saw Sam as himself or as the person he was supposed to be. There were episodes where he clearly saw Sam as the person he leaped into, but then there were others where he seemed to see just Sam.

I'm not sure if they touched on that last one in the finale because he didn't leap into anyone.

And we never really found out where or when Sam was in the finale. They ended up finding him on the day of his birth, but how could all the people from his previous leaps actually have been there. There was something hinky going on but they never explained it. Getting Susan Diol back to play Al's first wife was a nice touch though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite is when Sam and Al switched places. Though I don't know if he leaped into his own body or Al's.

Another contridiction is that in the opening credits they say he vanished, yet his body still exists in the present. Only soul traveled back in time.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont remember that part.

Also, i always assumed Al knew what Sam's 'host' was because they would leap into the waiting room. Weather or not Al sees the true sam in the waiting room or in the holochamber is up for debate.

In the waiting room, a person looks into the reflective bench and sees sam, and sam looks into a mirror and sees that person. On second thought, i belive that al sees the true sam thanks to holographic technology.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, why does somebody always beat me to the point I'm going to make?

The people in the waiting room always saw sam, like Dr. Ruth and Lee Harvey Oswald.

And I haven't seen every episode, only a few and many a long time ago. But the one where they switch places and were Sam leaps into Al were the best I've seen.

Didn't they also reveal that his leaping was controlled by a higher power which ahd always been speculated?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished .... He woke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home."

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Theorizing that one could travel to Neptune and back within six minutes, Captain Jonathan Archer stepped into the Transporter Pad and vanished .... He woke to find himself trapped in the past before any other Trek series, facing canon facts that were not his own. His only guide on this journey is T'Pol, a Vulcan observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a young woman. And so Captain Archer finds himself transporting from planet to planet, striving to screw up Trek continuity and hoping each time that his next transport will be the transport home."

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Lee
Member # 393

*LMAO@Hobbes* Genius, Hobbesy. . . 8)

To futher muddy the issue, you had the "evil leaper" eps (two I think?) which had a girl forced by some organisation (including a female hologram mentor, bit of an Anne Robinson character) actually forcing her to leap in and make things worse. . . Did they ever explain that?

--------------------

Hobbes
Member # 138

I don't think so. Basically I think it was suppose to be good vs evil. Sam was being leaped around by God to do good. While what's-her-name was being leaped by Satan to do evil.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps