Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but those are the people who are the Tolkienesque equivalents of people who speak Klingon. And no-one listens to them, either... :-)
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I found the songs tedious to read myself, I would guess that they were included by Tolkien in order to enhance the depth and atmosphere of the book.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget Tolkien was not only creating a world he was creating a mythology for a country who had lost theirs over the centuries - mostly due to the Norman invasions.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, walking down the main street of Stockholm I noticed a little fantasyshop I've ignored my whole life, and they had imported the three LOTR-swords!
I got to feel them, they weren't light and cheap at all, but very solid, without feeling clumsy. Wish I'd had room to swing them, Conan-Kata style. ;-)

The Nazg�l sword was big as hell, and the blade looked appropriately worn and tarnished, like in the movie.
My favourite was Glamdring, of course, but they were all very sharpened, I used the flat side of my thumbnail to scratch the blade and it made a rather wide white mark.

I don't understand why "mere stainless steel" would be negative to a sword, it must be a fuck of a lot better than aluminum or tin.
And wtf are these supposed "rat-tail tangs"???

Sting scared me a bit, because it was as functional as a very big knife would be, especially for stabbing...

They were more expensive here, of course, the equivalent of 335$, 527$ and 575$ for Sting, Glamdring and the Nazg�l blade.

[ March 14, 2002, 09:07: Message edited by: Nim Pim ]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...he was creating a mythology for a country who had lost theirs over the centuries - mostly due to the Norman invasions."

Huh?

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't resurrect this thread so that you could make a comment on a two-month old post, you opportunist bastard!! [Smile]

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, WHY is this in a sci-fi forum?

I mean I have nothing against Lord of the Rings, but come on... this is supposed to be Sci-Fi, not fantasy...

I come from a family which likes to distinguish between the two more than the average man.

IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because there isn't really a fantasy forum around here?

Besides, every library I've ever entered has had Science Fiction and Fantasy grouped together. But, if you think this is a travesty, what until I start a thread in here on Jason X. [Big Grin]

So, Nim, these were the actual swords used in the movies? It sounds like it was a pretty cool experience. My friend is planning on making his own swords (god help us all). I'll ask him if he knows what's up with stainless steel.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you dont have to participate in a fantasy thread if you see one (i usually dont, but i dont bitch up and down about how people are discussing a movie i dont have any plans to see yet)

no ones forcing you, and resurrecting month-old threads about things you dont want to talk or read about hardly seems to make sense.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they weren't the actual ones I'm sure, simply replicas.

I have a sword shop in my town that's selling 'em now.

GLAMDRING! THE FOE HAMMER!

Okay, it's a hammer despite the fact that it is a sword.... ahh well, who said poetics had to be taken literally?

IP: Logged
Nim
Member # 205

Well, Nars�l has now been added to the lot!!!

http://www.unitedcutlery.com/rings.html

I saw "Fellowship" for the third and last time yesterday, it will go off the cinemas in Sweden in a short while, and just because I bothered (love it even more now that I've read Silmarillion), they had added a lovely 3-minute preview, just as the end credits were about to start, showing selected scenes from "The Two Towers", and I just want to say...DAMN!!!

[ May 05, 2002, 23:47: Message edited by: Nim Pim ]

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
United Cutlery?

I hope it's not too much to ask that the forks and knives on the table during the famous scene in the restaurant in 'When Harry met Sally' are their next additions?

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim Pim:
I don't understand why "mere stainless steel" would be negative to a sword, it must be a fuck of a lot better than aluminum or tin.

Stainless steel is a poor choice of metal for swords for several reasons: It does not hold an edge very well. It cannot be properly heat treated and tempered. It is a brittle steel with little or no flex. A good sword that has been properly tempered will bend at least 5 inches (if not more) out of line and return true. Try that with a stainless steel sword and you end up with one bent sword.

Real swords throughout the Medieval and Renaissance periods were forged from what is typically referred to today as “carbon spring steel.” (That is somewhat of a misnomer, since all steel by definition, has SOME carbon in it.) I do not know all the metallurgical properties of stainless steel, but I do know that it does not contain enough carbon and cannot be properly tempered. The steel is too brittle for real swordplay, and has almost no flexibility.

Real swords were forged from iron, and carbon was added by using charcoal in the forging process. This created a strong flexible steel that would hold an edge very well. A sword undergoes a lot of torque when being using in combat, and contrary to popular belief, the flat of the blade (as opposed to the edge) was used a great deal in parrying and/or blocking. Thus, one can see how a sword would need good flexibility. Additionally, a real sword will rust, and it must constantly be oiled.

quote:
I got to feel them, they weren't light and cheap at all, but very solid, without feeling clumsy.

When it comes to a sword’s weight, light is a GOOD thing. Again, contrary to popular belief, real Medieval and Renaissance swords were quite light. (After all, who would want to fight on the battlefield with a 10-pound longsword?) A “typical” Medieval longsword (about 4 feet in overall length) weighed anywhere from 2 to 3.5 pounds. Anything beyond 3.5 lbs. would certainly have been considered too heavy.

quote:
And wtf are these supposed "rat-tail tangs"???

The tang is the part of the metal blade that extends into the handle. On any good quality “functional” sword, the tang will have actually been forged as part of the blade. A good tang will usually be fairly wide. On poorer quality swords, the tangs are actually welded onto the blade at the point of the shoulder. Often in this case, the tang is nothing more than a thin metal bar, and this type of tang is usually referred to as a “rat-tail-tang.”

-

I would contend that in the world of swords and swordsmanship:
Stainless steel = junk
United Cutlery = junk

I think it is safe to say that most (if not all) serious sword enthusiasts would agree with this assessment.

Good quality swords are usually produced by folks such as:
Angus Trim
Armart of Europe
Del Tin
…Just to name a select few.

For additional information on swords and swordsmanship on the net, I recommend:
Sword Forum International:
http://www.swordforum.com
The Association for Renaissance Martial Arts:
http://www.thearma.org

For additional reading on swords, check out:
"The Martial Arts of Renaissance Europe" by Sydney Anglo
"Medieval Swordsmanship: Illustrated Methods and Techniques" by John Clements
"Swords & Hilt Weapons" by Michael D Cole, et. al.
"European Weapons and Armour" by Ewart Oakeshott
"Records of the Medieval Sword" by Ewart Oakeshott.

[ June 03, 2002, 18:00: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat lesson Commander. Thanks

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do people still kill each other often with swords?

[ May 16, 2002, 09:50: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps