Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in Hong Kong, with the Gunfire Acoustic Monitors, sure. The Triads go batty with them. Although, as silenced pistol bypasses them just as easily.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah the world that i do not experience. In Providence people mostly kill each other with guns and cars, or kill themselves with drugs and alcohol.

Welp, off to the bar...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
do people still kill each other often with swords?

Not to my knowledge, but there are organizations that currently study Medieval and/or Renaissance swordsmanship.

I belong to the aforementioned Association for Renaissance Martial Arts (or ARMA, as we call it). Our goal is to “focus on the interpretation and legitimate reconstruction of Medieval and Renaissance combat systems as a modern discipline.” (As quoted from the ARMA website.)

In our training, we use wooden practice swords (called “wasters”), padded sparring swords, and we occasionally do test cutting with “live steel” (real swords). My group usually test cuts cardboard tubes, but I have heard of groups test cutting meat or even a freshly killed deer. We also do a limited amount of basic drillwork with blunt swords as well, but we use extreme caution, as this can be quite dangerous, even with blunts.

[ May 16, 2002, 10:20: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah no shit. But what say you about the current reconstruction of the swords of Conan, then? Jody Samson?
And you must admit, as aesthetics go, Glamdring and Narsil are two fine girls, no?

What do you think of that technique of leaving half the handle unpadded, perhaps for better grip with a thick glove? I have never seen it in real sword designs, but it looks real good.

I saw in the 3min-preview of "Two Towers" that Aragorn approached the table of Narsil, and as he didn't have it when killing the Uruk-Hai in "Fellowship", the reforging-scene will be shown. Yay!

[ May 16, 2002, 11:52: Message edited by: Nim Pim ]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, the LOTR Swords are “aesthetically pleasing” to look at. I even said so in a previous post in this thread. However, as “aesthetically pleasing” as a Ferrari might be, it would have little appeal to someone whose primary interest is off road driving.

Likewise, I have little interest in fantasy swords. If it is not a “functional” sword, and/or if it is not based on some real historical model, then I really have little or no interest. To be quite blunt, my interest lies only in “true” Historical European Swordsmanship as a martial art, and thus, if it isn’t a “real” and “functional” sword, then I could really care less.

To provide a little more information about stainless steel; I talked with my Dad-in-law recently, who is NOT into swordsmanship, but he DOES work in manufacturing. He told me that in addition to a lower carbon content, stainless steel contains nickel and chromium, and this is what makes the steel “stainless” by preventing oxidation and rust. At the same time, however, this causes the metal to be more brittle than “carbon spring steel,” and it prevents proper tempering and heat treatment.

quote:
Originally posted by Nim Pim:
What do you think of that technique of leaving half the handle unpadded, perhaps for better grip with a thick glove? I have never seen it in real sword designs, but it looks real good.

I believe that there may be some historical examples of this, although in all honesty, I am not quite sure. Actually, finding handles still intact on historical medieval swords is a rarity, since the wood and leather have rotted away in most cases. Personally, I would prefer to have the entire handle wrapped (in leather, or even with cording), as I feel that this would provide a better grip. Whether you are using gloves or bare hands, it has been my experience that a leather wrapped or corded handle yields a much better grip than wood alone.

All of this being said, please do not misconstrue my statements, as I do not mean to be totally against the purchase of these swords. If you like these swords, and you wish to have some nice “wall-hangers,” then by all means, go for it! It is only my intention to let it be known that these swords are NOT to be considered “real” swords with any kind of practical functionality. Though granted, you could probably inflict fatal injuries to someone (that was un-armored) with these swords, there is no way that they would hold up to the rigors of day to day combat, or even basic drill-work for that matter.

[ June 03, 2002, 17:52: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should make a model of He-Man's sword. I'd buy that. Or the sword from Thundercats.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially if it could be split in two, like it was with the toys. that would be radical, buddy.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want the Conan-codpiece as well, from "C0nan Teh De5tr0y3r", et's r0XX0RR!!!

Commander Dan: "...a leather-wrapped or corded handle yields a much better grip than wood alone".

But the naked piece of handle wasn't wood but steel, like the models suggest. Though I believe you about the properties of leather!

In the case of Nars�l there, it makes for a different grip. When I held the lowest hand close to the end of the handle, it felt great.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps