Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Time Machine (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Time Machine
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My new favorite movie. Period. I am a huge fan of the original book and film..... and the way they did this one was outstanding.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, many people would disagree with you. The critics haven't been too kind. *shrug* Haven't made a point of going to see it myself, though.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, every review by every movie critic i respect has torn the movie apart, but hey, you're allowed your own opinion.

--jacob

IP: Logged
CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

Speaking of critics, I generally do not go along with them. It seems like the movies they like, i find terribly boring. I thought the Time Machine was ok. I thought the book was hell of a lot better.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

that is why i said "critics i respect". are the boring movies you are talking about the movies that are generally called "art movies"? in my opinion, these are basically the only movies worth seeing, anymore.

--jacob

CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

I am talking about movies like the Cider House Rules, boys dont cry, and a few others i cannot remember. They were boring as hell. That is just my opinion anyways.
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hrmm.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*JoeySpeak* "No, that's not OK! You're dead inside!!"

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Flower Man
Ex-Member

Well. I'm planning on going to see The Time Machine tomarrow. Hopefully I might be able to add to this conversation a little bit when I get back.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tomarrow! tomarrow!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, let us all to marrow. We all owe it so much. It being in our bones and all.

Milk for the masses, I say.

Flower Man
Ex-Member

Most of this crap is spoilers so....well it's primarily spoilers. Discontinue reading this post if you don't want to be spoiled!

Well. This movie was interesting. Unfortunately, I've noticed that it suffered from a little Battlefield Earth Syndrome. (B.E.S. for short) Symptoms include mechanical hardware continuing to be functional even after going thousands of years without repair or maintenance. In this case, it was a highly advanced computer A.I./hologram system from the 2030s found to still be functioning some time in the 800,000s And English is apparently still a spoken language in the 800,000s, but just barely.

The Powers That Be did throw in a few amusing bits here and there, like in one scene H.G. Wells' novel The Time Machine was given a quick, but definitely noticeable mention. And I've also caught the fact that everyone in the distant future has the same or similar Hawaiian skin color. This is something I have heard will happen eventually as more and more interracial breeding takes place. Someone should tell the KKK that they are fighting a losing war. [Big Grin]

The special effects were cool, but they could have taken more time to explain more fully some aspects of the story. After watching it, I felt like the story was incomplete in all honesty. I probably should read the book. In all honesty the fact that I never read the book kept nagging me throughout the movie.

If you are not planning on watching it and yet, you are curious about why the moon was breaking apart in the previews, I'll tell you. It really is quite a sad story. [Smile]

Apparently, when a construction company needed to excavate a foundation for a new lunar colony, the construction company, in all it's infinite idiocy, decided to detonate a bunch of nukes, each about 20 megatons if I remember correctly, to accomplish this. This knocked the moon off a stable orbit and sent it hurtling closer and closer to Earth until the moon splits in to two pieces. About 65% of the moon collided with Earth while the other 35% managed to get into another stable orbit along with billions of smaller moon fragments. By the 800,000s the Earth has a ring kind of like the Ba'ku planet only much less orderly.

There's my $5.50 worth of spoilers.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I am a huge fan of the original book..."

And hat book would that be? From the plot summaries I've seen, I don't know of any book off of which this movie could have been based...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*scratches head*

And surely, Battlefield Earth Syndrome causes bleeding from all orifaces and rapid cellular decay, as opposed to just questionable technological survivability?

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone alse notice the Star Trek TOS door swoosh sound when the hologram went away in the museum?

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps