Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » More info on next Transformers series... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: More info on next Transformers series...
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got the first issue of the new Transformers comic book.

I haven't read it yet, though.

I've also picked up the "Cybertronian" Unofficial Transformers Recognition Guide, V1-4 (5 coming soon) which details all the Transformers toys and provides summaries of the show, comics, and movies, and is kind of cool.

JEEZ, I wish I'd bought Fortress Maximus when it came out. You can't find an intact one except on ebay for like $500 now.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Apparently, that is because you do not remember it.
And this is quite clearly the case because, as I mentioned earlier, I lost touch with it and stopped reading the comics, watching the series, and buying the toys until recently. It's kinda hard to remember that which I was not present for.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The two names for Megatron were Megatron and Galvatron, where did "Gigatron" come from?

Gigatron was the original Japanese name for the Robots In Disguise Megatron. I prefer to call him that just to keep the number of Megatrons down to a minimum.

quote:
Starscream has been immitated by many later Decepticons (particularly "Terror-Soar")

Fair point. Although "Terrorsaur".

quote:
Okay, when was the last time you saw a machine being mystical? Ahh well, not that it matters...

So the comic book idea (which ran with the original cartoon, I might add), that the Transformers has a god, called Primus, who was the mortal enemy of the chaos-bringer (Unicron) doesn't count as being mystical. And when was the last time you saw a machine doing ANYTHING that the Transformers do?

Captain Mike: Later Star trek series are also quite awful, with the added bonus that they keep changing the characters away from the things that made the show fun in the first place. Quite frankly, in my eyes, the captain of the Enterprise will always be Kirk, not Picard or Archer or Jesus.

(I'll point out that I also think that Beast Machines is quite bad. Beast Wars/Beasties however is excellent. It is).

quote:
Beasties was designed to make the kid buy a new version of the character every season. Kinda a smart selling idea. Sucked if you were a parent.

The original transformers did the same thing, except it just released about 30 new characters each year, whereas the Beast Wars approach was to change the characters form ever year.

quote:
JEEZ, I wish I'd bought Fortress Maximus when it came out. You can't find an intact one except on ebay for like $500 now.

Fortunatly he's been rereleased about 70 times now. You could pick up the most recent "Brave Maximus" (which is the japanese version from Car Robots, the 2000 anime series that's just been dubbed as "Robots in disguise") for around $200 if you look carefully. Possibly cheaper. I don't know if there's been a "Robots in Disguise" version though.

I'd much rather have Jetfire. And I have just spend �40 that I don't have on a LeoConvoy.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It used to come on the half-hour before Trading Spaces.
That explains a lot. [Wink]
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Amy Wynn Pastor is pretty hot. [Smile]

I used to have Fortress Maximus. I got him in early '88 I believe. Included his Headmaster and the Headmaster's headmaster. I remember it took me four months to save the eighty dollars to buy him. I didn't like the toy a whole lot. It was a pretty freakin' big toy and had a lot of little plastic guns and stuff.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahem:

[rantmode]
quote:
Robots in Disguise? Decent? Its the worst Transformer series yet! I remember the original Transformers.
So do I. It was great, it was fun. It was also for eight year olds. Robots in Disguise is also made for eight year olds. Too bad the eight year olds of the original Transformers can't be eight for Robots in disguise, else they'd enjoy it more.
quote:
Transformers looks good in computer animation, and in the original cartoonistry, but transformers in ANIME?!!!!!
That depends on how you describe anime. If you mean with the "big eyes" and "face-faults", then yes. I agree, "Robots in Disguise" looks more like "Zoids". If the tools they have now in animation were had then, then the original Transformers would look the same as "Robots in Disguise". Personally, I like the animation better. I also like "Justice League" better than "Super Friends", but I remember Super Friends from when I was a kid. Back then, that was good TV, but now it sucks (Which is why I hate Scooby Doo, but that's a flame of a different temperature).
quote:
Sucked big time. Optimus Prime was supposed to be a semi, not a fire truck.
Um, Prime was a semi because that's what Teletran-1 (ed. note: My bad. Fixed) could make up. He wasn't originally a semi. Soundwave was origionally some leaning listening post, and ended up being a tape recorder (my first TF toy. God I loved it, but could only find it with the condor).
quote:
And when since do characters yell the name of their attacks and moves when they do them?
KA-ME-HA-ME-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Supaa Goosto kamikazee attakku!!!!!!!!
Jupitaa Ook Evorushonu!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's pretty common in most animation. Unless it's a simple kick, punch, or use of a sword or simple gun, it has a name. The original Transformers had basic laser guns. Primes and Megatron's were more powerful, but not very special. The ones nowadays have powers, like the Blizzard cannon. I don't see anything wrong with that.
quote:
No, I like the pre-predacon era, and pre-maximal.
So do I. That's why I enjoyed RiD. For some reason I didn't quite enjoy Beast(whatever). They just didn't fall right.
quote:
The time when it was just plain old Decepticons Vs. plain old Autobots, with a few con and bot thrown in for fun. (like Constructicons, Dinobots, Aerialbots, Insecticons...)
Dinobots, ugh! Constructicons were cool, as were the Aerialbots. Insecticons I could do without. Not all the stuff from the original was great.
quote:
And when Megatron was a gun instead of a t-rex.
He was a T-rex? I thought the Dragon was bad enough. The dragon wasn't bad, but I don't think I could stomach a t-rex as Megatron.
[/rantmode][biggerrantmode]
BTW, I hate Skybite. He's just a Starscream wannabe, and Starscream was a whining pussy. And I don't like how everybody has to be a "combiner" except Megatron, who's a dragon-bird-two headed-robot-(I think there's more). It's a little too much.[/biggerrantmode]

Don't get me wrong, Chris, RiD wasn't quite as good as the original, but it's still watchable.

[ April 13, 2002, 11:28: Message edited by: Saiyanman Benjita ]

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I can still watch the old episodes (I have alomost all of them here on my computer) and find them interesting (though nostalgia might have something to do w/ that). But RiD just looks like some kind of Pokémon-esque crap.

And I would point out that, IIRC, Prime (and the other Autobots and Decepticons who crashed in the Ark) was rebuilt by Teletraan-1, not Spike and Sparkplug.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teletran. Although the computer didn't have a name in the comics. And the ship didn't have a name in the cartoon. Are you getting "Ark" from Beast Wars or the comics Tim?

I find anime quite a visually pleasing cartoon form. And for all it's faults, it can do two things good. Robots, and explosions. Perfect for a Transformers series.

"He was a T-rex? I thought the Dragon was bad enough. The dragon wasn't bad, but I don't think I could stomach a t-rex as Megatron."

The fact that you didn't see Megs when he was a T-Rex must mean you missed out on Beast Wars and only saw Beast Machines. Which is a shame, as Beast Wars was really, really, really good. And Beast Machines was really, really crap. Beast Wars Megs is one of my favourite all time TF characters ever. Ever.

Full marks though for remembering Soudwaves original Cybertronian form of, er, a lamp post. What an exciting toy that would have been, eh kids?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I used to recreate that with the figure. It looked pretty easy.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You, PsyLiam for telling me that. You're probably right, and your analysis of the series leads me to believe that I did see the Beast Machines and not Beast Wars. Maybe I assumed that the "Beast" in the title meant the same series. Sort of like how "Gundam" normally means giant robots with little humor *blah*.

My bad on the Spike and Sparkplug thing. I remember little. Of course, I was seven and it was eighteen years ago since I saw that episode. Facts can easily get jumbled when you're looking back that far [Big Grin] . At least I remembered that they weren't always cars and jets! (Yeah, what the hell was Soundwave anyway?)

Anyway about anime, most people think of it as just the "Big eyes" and "Giant Robots". Some of it is. However mostly it is the more frames per second that gives it an edge over conventional animation. It allows more range of motion for characters, making it more lifelike. A lot of the Sunrise anime has smaller eyes, more to scale to humans. You can see that in Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and others. A lot of the Toei, Kodansha-esque anime have the giant eyes and *cutsie* faces (DBZ, Sailor Moon, Ranma, Card Captors, Pok�mon, etc.) Basically Anime, in my eyes, isn't just Japanese cartoons, it's how they're made. I'd more say Batman is anime than Pok�mon is, it's just how it's made. They tried that with Transformers. The better range of motion led to better action scenes. If only 1984 Transformers had the means... *drool*

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Not to sound antagonsitic, but anime always seems to have less fames per second that US animation, especially TV anime. Something like DBZ or Gundam has less FPS than say Gargoyles, Dexter's Lab, or even Rugrats. The movies are different. In fact, anime seems to show the "normal" TV habit of saving it's money for the big stuff. You have sequences (or whole episodes) with hardly any movement so that they can blow you away with a few action scenes. Plus, in Japan, is [i]is "conventional animation".

"Basically Anime, in my eyes, isn't just Japanese cartoons, it's how they're made. I'd more say Batman is anime than Pok�mon is, it's just how it's made."

I understand your point, but you are wrong, really. Anime is anything that's animated in the manga style. Something like Batman can have an "anime-feel", but it isn't anime.

And what is it with people saying that Pokemon isn't "real anime"? It fulfils all the criteria that I can see. Anime does not equal "dark and mature". Anime has much more variety than Western animtion, where it's largely confined to the "it's kist for kids" mentality (rightly or wrongly). Japanese cartoons can be mature, angsty bloody violent shows, or cutesy kiddie pop, and everything in between.

"If only 1984 Transformers had the means... *drool*"

Find the third season episode "Call of the Primitives". That's animated in an anime way all the way through, and animated well. Or watch any of the three series set after that were made in Japan (Headmasters, Masterforce or Victory). "Robots in disguise" is merely the first Japanese TF cartoon to be dubbed, not the first one to be done.

Or you could just watch the movie. That has plenty of nince animation, some anime-style.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps