Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » What is the Matrix? (spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What is the Matrix? (spoilers)
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was something about The Matrix that I never quite got: was the Matrix an AI in and of itself, or was it just a construct made by other AIs?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was yo momma!
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Matrix was the consensual hallucination programmed by the AIs, an artifical construct built with one purpose: To enslave the human race mentally, and turn them into batteries.

The AIs had previously tried to make the Matrix a paradise for humans, but they apparently didn't have the programming language needed to represent humanities perfect world, and people rejected it.

It was changed into a representation of the apex of mankind's civilization, the year 1999. It isn't mentioned in the movie if all of the world lives in an avatar New York or not, but I think they probably do. It would be easier to track them all in a massive self-indexed city than across different geographic locations.

Thus, while the Matrix itself was a vast prorgram, an operating system, but it wasn't self-aware. It was patrolled by self-aware programs, called Agents, who effectivly represented every asshole IRC cop and evil administrator in existence.

The heroes were the heroic hackers, the ones that want to free your mind.

Sorry. I watched it last night.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Black Hawk Down tonight, last night, Wednesday night, and twice on Tuesday (except, of course, two go down).

I want a mini-gun. Bwaaaaaw! Boy, those things could shoot.

Since that won't happen, I want a Colt M1911 .45. Man those Delta guys can shoot. No wonder they get paid the big bucks.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching Black Hawk Down later tonight. I will be drunk, well fed, and expecting carnage.

Watched Insomnia last night too. If you like film noir, you should check it out. Christopher Nolan is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I did see it, last week.

Great film! I loved that Alaskan scenery ...

Best line:

"I want to surprise the boyfriend in school, pull him right out of school. Let's go."

"Uh ..."

"Yes?"

"It's ten o'clock."

"Yah, let's go."

"At night."

"..."

Al Pacino's weapon is an M1911 .45! The same as often seen in BHD. Cool weapon. Ahhhh ...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice troll attempt, Jeff.
Member # 480

my favorite scene from Insomnia:

"It's so fucking bright in here."

"No it's not. It's dark."

She turns on the lights, and you see just how dark it really was...

Robin Williams was pretty good as the bad guy. I didn't see what the problem with him being the heavy was. In many ways, it wasn't even the main thrust of the movie.

Just saw Black Hawk Down. I could go on about it for quite some time. But instead, I'll just say "Wow."

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black Hawk Down was good, but not as good as the 1999 movie Three Kings with George Clooney. The one movie where Ice Cube can act!

--------------------
Meh

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Three Kings" was shit. While I'm at it, "Ocean's Eleven" was shit. Clooney needed to take his cock in the ass & stop fucking around with classic films. He'll never, ever be able to do them right.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say something stupid regarding the topic and me but like I said it would be stupid.

The Matrix is like a internet multiplayer game that everyone is hooked up to. Like Starcraft, the players which you play against are the humans, and B.net is the Matrix itself. That's the closest I can figure out how I can say it.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Ocean's Eleven--another great film. Far superior to the horrible original. (see signature) Clooney's not a bad actor, certainly not as bad as, say, Owen "They're farin' at us" Wilson or Ben Stiller. Brendan Fraser and Adam Sandler aren't too great, either.

--------------------
Meh

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Veers:
Ocean's Eleven--another great film. Far superior to the horrible original.

You're a fucking idiot.

quote:
Also originally posted by Veers:
Clooney's not a bad actor

But he needs to stop thinking he can do fucking remakes. First "Kelly's Heroes," then "Ocean's 11?" Man, I SO hope someone finds a way t'bring The Chairman back so he can clout Clooney about the fuckin' head. What's next? "The Great Escape?" "Bullitt?" "Operation Petticoat?" "Mister Roberts?" "The Maltese Falcon?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice to see that we can freely share opinions. Oh wait, no it isn't.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

Ocean's 11 isn't a GREAT movie, yes, but it isn't terrible. And it's better than the 1960 one.

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps