Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Minority Report (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Minority Report
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to be perfectly honest I haven't read Electric Sheep in quite a while, although I have read "A Man in a High Castle" about four months ago.

As for the drug culture reference, when a friend of mine recommended High Castle to me, the story went something along the lines of, he was on drugs while writing many of his books, and he also consulted an I Ching device for that particular book, which seemed to ring true at the time since both books seemed particularly random and at times incoherent, while still enjoyable.

Perhaps I may develop a different opinion soon, "A Scanner Darkly" is high on my reading list after my genetics and CS exams this week.

As for Minority Report as compared to Blade Runner, I already noted that I find it difficult to evaluate the merits of Minority Report without having read the book.

However, based on what I do know, I do agree with you. Minority Report may be a better PFD film, wheras Blade Runner was more enjoyable, and definitely more stylish taking into account how much older it is [Smile]

Here's the thing, what about the whole Deckard is or isn't a replicant deal. That could be considered a twist, but while its definitely in the sequels, I can't seem to recall if its in the actual book. (And the sequels were written by another author which further clouds the issue) Admittedly, it isn't a "getting hit by a truck" revelation, there are hints....the unicorn/origami and the five replicants deal.

Mercerism on the other hand, is definitely something that I could live without.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Mercerism, and more importantly the idea of empathy which it embodies, is the whole point of the story, I think.

As for The Man In The High Castle, the book within it, The Grasshopper Lies Heavy, was written entirely by the I Ching. The Man... on the other hand, was only partially written by the I Ching. Dick consulted it on occasion. He later said that it was a rather insidious book and shouldn't be trusted.

Dick, of course, was on amphetamines, I believe, for a good portion of his writing career, a double-edged sword in that it allowed him to complete entire novels in one sitting, over a weekend, while also nearly killing him (and maybe getting him in the end anyway) and making some of those novels not so good because they were written so quickly.

But to say that when Dick wrote _about_ drugs he was somehow incoherent doesn't ring true to me. Whatever else he knew, he understood drugs, as A Scanner Darkly displays in frightening detail.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick believed that he killed his cat with a telepathic blast on accident.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He also wrote the quote in my sig, which I think is one of the most brilliantly simple statements about the nature of existence ever written.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always like that quote.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personly I've always perfered his "Gods Dead, They found the body orbiting Alpha Centarui" myself, now if only I could find out where it is from.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waitaminute... In comic books, Cybertron was in the Alpha Centauri system. God == Unicron?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it makes you happy to think that, then by all means do so. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps