Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Avoid MIB2 (a few $$Spoilers$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Avoid MIB2 (a few $$Spoilers$$)
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIB2 had sneaks here in Japan. I'm a big fan of the original, but this new one was awful. After leaving the theatre, I was suprised that less than 90 had passed, because it seemed like much longer (running time is 81 minutes without end credits). MIB2 is pretty much a flipped mirror image of the original: Will Smith is the hard-assed, fast-talking veteran and Tommy Lee Jones is the befuddled newcomer. But having them play against type like this isn't funny at all. The villain, a shape-shifting worm played by Lara Flynn Boyle, is very dull. She stands around in black leather, acts means, and has CGI tentacles come out of her fingers. The female protagonist (Rosario Dawson) is also boring and given nothing to do, except cowering in fear. The minimal plot was both boring and confusing, because what the bad guys were looking for isn't revealed until the very end and doesn't make much sense when it is. The movie ends with a lame "our-world-is-within another-world" coda, almost the same as in MIB1. The best thing about the movie is the return of Frank the pug from MIB1. He's now an agent.

So, don't waste your money on this one!!!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm saving my money-going money for this fall ... the new LoTR film, Star Trek: Nemesis, new James Bond, and Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets!
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a little known fact that MIB was based on a comic book.

It wasn't very good, either. Maybe it's a good thing nobody knows about it.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, apparently, MIB2 is based off of (or at least have a lot of similarities) to an episode of the cartoon series.
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That explains a lot.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently the only really major change they did to the episode was to flip the roles of the agents. Namely, making Smith the tight-assed veteran and Jones the wet-behind-the-ears rookie.

Eh, I'm not disappointed by the news. MIB2 was never on my 2002 "Movies to See" list.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they explain what happened to Linda Florentino (sp)?
Member # 480

Having not seen the film yet, I'm guessing they don't. Chock it up to Bond's Girlfriend syndrom, where they're only there as long as there is an adventure to be had.

Somebody wrote a paper on that subject for Psychology Today, if you can believe that.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also Indiana Jones' gerls.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda Fiorentino is mentioned as having been neuralyzed (as have several other of Smith's partners) and sent back to the morgue. She's not seen.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleah. I was hoping that she would be in the film in some way or another.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIB2 falls into the almost, but not quite category then? Pity, I expected it to be more than an average run-of-the-mill sequel...

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

It's far from "almost but not quite." It seemed a very tired rehash of the first movie. Nothing new at all. You'll have more fun watching the first movie again.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree... it's not the greatest movie. I left disappointed. Oh well, the ST:X preview was at least interesting.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm imagining after this movie gains popularity, there will be some unsuspecting newbie that pops up in the board, loves the movie, and decides that MIB2 will be his publicly displayed name. hilarity will ensue as we lynch him (or her) for accidentally embodying (some of ours) worst fear.

were you guys expecting this one to be more elaborate than an expensive cartoon? the first one was a blast, but still not serious enough to make me really care if i ever saw another.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps