Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Gibson anyone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Gibson anyone?
TORI
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checking whether there are people who read (and like) William Gibson's work. I am translating his latest novel All Tomorrow's Parties and want to check some things...

Not being an English native speaker, I have some problems with apparently trivial things.

e.g.: I didn‘t quite get names of the following chapters:
Why is the 9th chapter called „Sweep Second“?
13 - Secondhand daylight – secondhand?
45 – Jack Move
68. The Absolute At Large

Can anyone help me out? Or send me to a Gibson fan forum? Thanks

T.

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck. The only thing I can think of is that the "sweep second" is the second hand on a stopwatch that counts off each second (as opposed to the one that marks off fractions of a second).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are asking for what "second hand" means, the American English eqiuvalent would be "pre-owned". Something that someone owned before you did.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Sweep Second"
I'm not familiar with the books, so there may be something in the chapter in that hints at the name. A sweep second hand is what Vogon Poet was talking about; it's a system in some watches and clocks that moves the second hand with causing a "stuttering" effect. The other thing I can think of is when a team at a competition places second in all of the contests. That team is said to sweep second place.

quote:
secondhand?
PsyLiam's got this one.

quote:
Jack Move
According to the Ebonics Werdz Dictionary, "Jack Move" is basically the act of carjacking someone. He could be referring to that, or he might be talking about a telephone repairman who wants to move a jack.

quote:
The Absolute At Large
The only reference I can find to this is that this is a science fiction story titled The Absolute At Large. It's written by Karel Capek. The story itself deals with religious intolerance. One review I found for it called the story, "Very, very Czech."

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: You only find the word "pre-owned" when talking about car dealers, or something like that. Marketing people think it sounds better than "used". But the American-English equivalent of "secondhand" is "secondhand".
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blockbuster has Pre-Viewed DVDs. Woot! Summer Catch for $9.99! Oh yes!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Electronics Boutique and similar shops now sell "pre-owned" computer games too.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Deals can be had. Good Deals.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a giant poster of John Candy's "Delirious" on my wall. It is from Blockbuster, and it is secondhand.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said "car dealers, or something like that". It was only the first example that came to mind. Basically, you'll find it anywhere that marketers are trying to make things sound "better". It's like the way prices always end in ".99", because it makes the price look smaller.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

THEN YOU WERE WRONG FAT TIM!

--------------------

TORI
Ex-Member

thanks for the hints - I know of course what "secondhand" USUALLY means. When asking, I want to know the meaning in the whole kontext. Therefore, my questions are for those who know the text. But thanks a million to all who contributed to this discussion.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ahh. In that case, "secondhand daylight" sounds like a metaphor. Or is it being reflected off of something?

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Ahh. In that case, "secondhand daylight" sounds like a metaphor. Or is it being reflected off of something?

Yes it does smack of some of Gibson's other favorite metaphor's like "television sky." Then again, he is known for his interesting names for new technology (some of which filter out into pop culture eventually becoming well-used words), so it could be referring to something else.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

TORI
Ex-Member

Here is some more, in case you got bored on the last one… (I just need to put the expression after ??? in other words… to get the right idea)

Rydell briefly entertained the idea of pulling over on the margin, beating Creedmore senseless, then leaving him there at the side of the Five, to get up to San Francisco as best he could.
???the Five?

Rydell had never actually caught anyone shooting anything up, in the store, although he wouldn't have put it past them.
???put it past them

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps