Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Gibson anyone? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Gibson anyone?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Two eggs over easy" are 2 eggs cooked on both sides without breaking the yolk.

A "rocker keypad" would be like the directional pad of a video game controller.

A venue is the scene or locale of any event. In this case & in most usage, it pertains to a club or amphitheater where a performance--musical or otherwise--is being put on.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the geography so well, but I'm guessing that "foot of Folsom" may refer to Folsom street where it starts up a hill or at the base of a hill. This is San Franciso, right? I've never heard the "foot of.." to refer to the start of a street.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two eggs over easy refers to how they were cooked. For more than that, you'll have to find someone who eats things that don't go in the microwave.

"venues" are locations, usually where concerts (gigs) are performed. In this case, it would be locations that have country music shows.

Rocker keypad sounds like termonology invented for the book.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TORI
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I got everything so far...

next:

Chevette pointed at a thin black child with dusty dreadlocks to his waist. "You. What's your name?"
"What's it to you?"
"Pay you watch this van. We come back, chip you fifty. Fair?" The boy regarded her evenly. "Name Boomzilla," he said.
"Boomzilla," Chevette said, "you take care of this van?"
"Deal," he said.
"Deal," Chevette said to Tessa. -
"Lady," Boomzilla said, pointing up at God's Little Toy, "I want that."
"Stick around," Tessa said. "We'll need a grip."
??? "Stick around," … ???"We'll need a grip."

You'd get these strange mergers, a hair place and an oyster bar deciding to become a bigger place that cut hair and sold oysters. Sometimes it worked: one of the longest-running places on the San Francisco end was an old-style, manual tattoo parlor that served breakfast. You could sit there over a plate of eggs and bacon and watch somebody get needled with some kind of hand-drawn flash.
??? get needled with some kind of hand-drawn flash.

"He beat you up. He's got eight hundred square feet of strata-title loft. He's got a job. He beats you up, you don't automatically order a surgical strike; you're not middle class."
??? surgical strike
??? strata-title loft

He closes his eyes against the burning of the soap and sees the watches arrayed beneath greenish, randomly abraded glass, like fish from some warmer season frozen hard in lake ice. Bright highlights off steel and gold. He has been colonized by an order uncomprehended: the multifold fact of these potent objects, their endless differentiation, their individual specificities.
??? multifold fact

It was one of those voices that they fake up from found audio: speech cobbled from wind down skyscraper canyons, the creaking of Great Lakes ice, tree frogs clanging in the Southern night.
??? cobbled from wind down skyscraper canyons

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Stick around," as in, "Stay here for a while."

"get needled with some kind of hand-drawn flash," as in "have a tattoo applied by hand with the needle (the machine) in a fancy manner."

"surgical strike," as in those fun little precision attacks the US is so fond of lobbing on nations with brown people. Y'know, blow up a single builidng with a laser-guided bomb & all that shit.

"cobbled from wind down skyscraper canyons," as in the speech pattern of the voices was artificially created by recording the sound of wind blowing hard down through the spaces between skyscrapers & mixing them together in ways to form voices."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On film sets, a grip is a stagehand who moves props and scenery and stuff around. I'm guesing this is the sense of the term being used. They'll need someone to help them out, perhaps w/ manual labor or something.

I don't know what "strata-title" is supposed to mean, but a loft is an apartment (or a flat, if you prefer British English) located in the upper story of a building in which the lower story is used for something else (usually a business or something of the sort).

"Multifold" basically means that something has various different parts or qualities. So, it pretty much means the same thing as what the rest of the sentence says.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tori, are you working professionally in a publishing house as a translator or are you doing this in your own spare time?
TORI
Ex-Member

I'm trying to do this for a living, why?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim is incorrect about something! YES!

In British English, a loft is not this crazy seperate building flat type thing madness! It's what we call "attics".

Basements are cellars.

Yes! Again!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... I didn't say anything about the British definition of "loft". I was saying that you call apartments "flats".
TORI
Ex-Member

OK, here we go again:

Chevette remembers Bunny Malatesta, her dispatcher when she rode here, how he'd say "and what part of 'no' is it that you don't understand?" But Bunny could deliver lines like that as though he were a force of nature, and Chevette knows she can't, that she lacks Bunny's gravity, the sheer crunch required to get it across.
??? the sheer crunch

So when Rydell turned up back in LA with a story to tell, and Chevette on his arm, Cops in Trouble had perked right up. They were moving into a phase where they tried to spin individual segments off into series for niche markets, and the demographics people liked it that Rydell was male, not too young, not too educated, and from the South. They also liked it that he wasn't racist, and they really liked it that he was with this really cute alt-dot kind of girl, one who looked like she could crush walnuts between her thighs.
???alt-dot – like the discussion groups?

The suite was like a little apartment, with its own kitchen and a gas fire, and they'd roll around at night on a blanket on the floor, in front of the fire, with the windows open and the lights out, blue flame flickering low and LAPD gunships drumming overhead
???gas fire – was it like the gas stove or a fireplace?

But she'd kept suggesting he try working out more. Why not go with that girlfriend of yours, she'd say, she's so buff, it hurts. But Chevette had never seen the inside of a gym in her life; she owed her buffness to her genes and a few years she'd spent pounding up and down San Francisco hills on a competition-grade mountain bike, its frame rolled from epoxy and Japanese constriction paper.
???buff, buffness

Lucky Dragon had some units on prime tourist real estate, and Rydell knew that from watching the Global Interactive Video Column back in LA; there was one in the mall under Red Square, that fancy K-Dam branch in Berlin, the big-ass one in Piccadilly, London, but putting one here struck him as a strange, or strangely deliberate, move.
???fancy K-Dam

The bridge was a dodgy place, safe enough but not "tourist safe." There was a walk-on tourist contingent, sure, and a big one, particularly on this end of the bridge, but no tours, no guides. If you went, you went on your own. Chevette had told him how they repelled evangelicals, and the Salvation Army and any other organized entity, in no uncertain terms.
???in no uncertain terms

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sheer crunch : strength, impact, character

alt-dot : as in alt.fan.startrek -- similar to dotcoms (e-businesses) -- in this case, refers to a girl Rydell picked up that matches a sterotype

gas fire : a fireplace powered by gas

buff : muscular, well-built

fancy K-Dam : tourist area in Berlin

in no uncertain terms : strong, hard language

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The literal meaning of "crunch" is the sort of sound you get when, say, you walk on gravel or chew on something hard and brittle (obviously there are many other sources of similar sounds). In this case it's being used metaphorically. I'd say it means something along the lines of what Cartman said.

It seems to me, also, that "alt-dot" should refer to the Usenet alt groups, but I don't know why anyone would stereotype those sorts of people as being able to crush a walnut between their thighs. Unless they're saying she's the sort of person you'd see a picture of in an alt group, which could mean just about anything.

A gas fireplace is one that has a fake (ceramic, maybe?) log or logs in it containing pipes through which natural gas is pumped and ignited. It looks like an actual wood fire (if you don't look to closely), but it's usually smaller and not as hot. It more for decoration than for actually heating a room.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Cartman says, K-dam is short for Berlin's Kurfurstendam, which is a shopping area equivalent to NY's Fifth Avenue or Tokyo's Ginza.

alt.dot might refer to Chevette having looks that are not quite mainstream but would appeal to a certain small segment of the population (ie, a niche market).

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TORI
Ex-Member

Thanks for the tips, I got the idea...

here's more:

(Ch. 22)Her green eyes widen in furious emphasis, a green pale as drift glass, DNA-echo of some British soldier, Fontaine has often surmised, on some chose Kingston night, these several generations distant.
??? drift glass

(Ch. 24)They found a dark place that felt as though it hung out beyond where the bridge's handrails would've been. Not a very deep space, but long, the bar along the bridge side and the opposite all mismatched windows, looking south, past the piers, to China Basin.
???piers

Ch 24 (p. 101) Now Shoats, absently, produced what looked like the top of an old-fashioned tube of lipstick from his shirt pocket and began to play, using the gold metal tube as a slide. The sounds he coaxed from the guitar caught Rydell in the pit of his stomach, as surely as Creedmore had sucker-punched that security man: they sounded the way rosin feels on your fingers in a poolroom and made Rydell think of tricks with glass rods and the skins of cats. Somewhere inside the fat looping slack of that sound, something gorgeously, nastily tight was being figured out.
???rosin (the only rosin I know is used for violin bows – so what is that about poolroom? Is poolroom the place where the pool is played?)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps