Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate SG-1 (Aug 2nd ep.) (some $$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stargate SG-1 (Aug 2nd ep.) (some $$$)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, who else saw this past Friday's episode of Stargate SG-1 on SciFi Channel? Warning, there might be $poiler$ below....

Basically, a trio of scientists get involved in an SG-1 mission, but the writers wanted to make these guys as geeky and socially inept as possible. Because of this, of course at least two of them are extreme Star Trek geeks. One of them even says something like "Don't tell me you don't kneel at the altar of Roddenberry!" My wife and I thought it was absolutely hilarious, despite the fact that I'm a self-proclaimed ST geek. (My wife is too, but she won't admit it. [Big Grin] )

ANYWAY, at one point we see a snake head's throne room. Above his throne, we see a wall adorned with many weapons and knives. One very large blade is placed prominently in the center just above the throne. My wife and I recognized it immediately. It was a Klingon Bat'telh! With all the Star Trek references throughout the episode, this had to be intentionally placed by someone on the production staff. It was, in a word, priceless.

B.J. Olejnik

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been meaning to start a Stargate thread.

Incidently, it seems you may have missed the biggest Trek reference of them all, namely that John Billingsley was playing one of the scientists.

Also, I don't want to go off on a rant here, but when did O'Neill go from saying things that were irreverent but funny to things that were stupid? "Look, we are being unexpected and off the wall. It is crazy and hip to your demographic!" They may as well replace him with Poochy.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O'neill started becoming an moron sometime mid-way through the first season.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"YOU... ended that sentence with a preposition! Bastard."

Personally, I think O'Neil's lines are the best part of the show. But that's just my sense of humor.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, more properly, your lack thereof.

[Smile]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*THWAP*

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That episode was great. What do you guys think of season 6 so far?

Seriously, I'm a bigger Statgate fan then Star Trek now. times change i guess.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still a bigger Trek fan than SG-1 fan. I just think SG-1 is the better show... [Cool]

What do I think of season six? Fantastibulous. Stunningish. Never going to see it. SG-1 in Finland will drop dead at the end of season three, just like TNG and VOY and DS9 did. TNG was saved by the founding of an all new channel that showed the remaining seasons. The others I had to see using less than legal means. [Mad]

Timo Saloniemi

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've catched the occasional episode here and there (broadcasts are highly chaotic in nature, unpredictably jumping from one season to the next). Strong points for me are the show's good character development, internal consistency, interesting storylines, great deal of action, and last but not least, excellent effects. SG's often underrated, IMO.
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, why don't you, uh, just get somebody to tape it for you, and slip them some cash for their trouble? No need to go illegal for a tv show.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I've got one maybe major complaint to lodge against season six, come to think of it. Possible spoilers, so gird thyself!

Anyway, I missed most of season five. And most of season four, come to think of it. But anyway, I tune in for season six, and all of a sudden, a runabout-sized craft equipped with standard SG-1-universe FTL drive can go from planet to planet in a few hours. Excuse me? Weren't slow FTL drives the whole point of the show? I mean, now the Gou'ald are skipping about from planet to planet in their ships in a single commercial break, and it seems to me that there isn't really any point in their even using the gates anymore. They can travel almost as fast without it, and they can bring much larger guns. And this doesn't seem to be a plot point, the characters have all just sort of accepted this as business as usual.

Member # 480

I think the Gou'ald stole the FTL drive from the Little Grey Men aliens.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, the origins of the Goa'uld FTL drives have not been revealed. But it seems they have a wide range of starship types now. And Teal'c in the first season was not aware of the superfast stardrives that got Apophis to Earth in a matter of hours, yet he is familiar with several of these mid-size starships, which now fly at those superfast speeds.

So perhaps the faster drive is a new invention. Or a new acquisition, if the Goa'uld are incapable of invention. Or then the various System Lords just don't like to share their technologies with each other, or even inform their Jaffas of them. That *would* be very Goa'uld. Perhaps Apophis got the faster drive from a rival after Teal'c defected? Or dusted it off when he finally got a real adversary after a millennia-long break? Teal'c would have been trained during that break.

In any case, the existence of FTL ships as an alternative to stargates has *always* been a plot point, or at least ever since "The Nox". Our heroes are always keen to point out that burying the gate will not protect a planet from the Goa'uld. The stargates simply are the poor man's alternative, and the Earthlings are poor men. They have a grand total of zero FTL ships in their possession, although they still stubbornly try to build those out of the shipwrecks they obtain.

In fact, the existence of FTL ships would help explain why the Goa'uld don't use or guard their gates more actively (like, hey, Chulak was supposedly the main feodal holding of Apophis originally, yet ZERO guards at the gate!). So it's an underlying premise that keeps SG-1 going!

Timo Saloniemi

P.S. Buying tapes is pretty expensive if you want to collect an entire multi-season show. So we did it in groups. And with a big enough group, watching the tapes from a big screen, that comes a bit too close to "commercially distributing" the tapes. If every one of us watched the tape alone at home, it would wear down completely before the last one got to it... [Frown]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I don't have a problem with previous uses of FTL ships. This is good and proper. But in season 6, these ships are ubiquitous, and all of them are superfast, or so it seems to me. Everyone has them. I can think of more than a few episodes whose plots hinged on "Yes, the Asgard/Tok'ra/other could send a ship to rescue us, but it takes months and we've only got a few days." Now it's hours instead of days, and our runabouts can get from Chulak to Anubis HQ in about twenty minutes.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Buying tapes is pretty expensive if you want to collect an entire multi-season show.
I think they mean "get someone to tape it and then buy the tapes off of them". If you look around, there are loads of internet sites dedicated to just that sort of thing, and many don't charge more than the cost of the blank tape.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps