Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Starship Smackdown: Comicon Report (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Starship Smackdown: Comicon Report
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Drakh mothership is ludicrously large. I'm tempted to say something about penises, but, I won't.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet you just did, so feel absolutely free to share whatever marvellous insights into the male genital organ you may have.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially since Magnus's sig contains a link to a penis enlargement site....

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm woefully underestimated.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:

AAGGGHHHHH!!!!

"All ships, concentrate your fire on that Super-Star Destroyer!"

The ENTIRE FRIKIN' REBEL FLEET was shooting at the thing for quite a while, not just one A-Wing!

Does it really matter that the whole fleet was firing. They WERE just using good old "Light Amplification (by) Stimulated Emission (of) Radiation", i.e. lasers

Heh, I wonder if a fraction of Omega would "undergo m/am annhilation" if we poke at Star Wars a bit more [Wink]

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:

AAGGGHHHHH!!!!

"All ships, concentrate your fire on that Super-Star Destroyer!"

The ENTIRE FRIKIN' REBEL FLEET was shooting at the thing for quite a while, not just one A-Wing!

Does it really matter that the whole fleet was firing. They WERE just using good old "Light Amplification (by) Stimulated Emission (of) Radiation", i.e. lasers

i never noticed any lasers being used in Star wars.
IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lessee.... there were turboLASERs, and LASER cannons, and quad LASER turrets... gee, I can't imagine when they had lasers in "Star Wars"... [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes, because anything with "laser" in the name must be a laser as we understand it, even though its observed properties are nothing like those of lasers...

But the ship didn't appear to be havily damaged, it looked absolutely intact when the A-Wing hit it.

Except for the distinct lack of shields protecting the bridge, which indicates a rather large hole in the shield, which indicates rather heavy bombardment considering the absurdly high power ratings of shields of STANDARD Star Destroyers as derrived from the zero-damage asteroid impacts from TESB...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Lessee.... there were turboLASERs, and LASER cannons, and quad LASER turrets... gee, I can't imagine when they had lasers in "Star Wars"... [Razz]

that's what they were called, but they sure as hell weren't lasers. are photon torpedoes lasers? afterall, they apparently involve photons in some way.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Drakh mothership didn't look nearly that large onscreen. Especially when a single Whitestar started shooting at it and the whole thing blew up.
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

i thought that a single White Star destroyed a Drakh carrier, not the mothership... been a while since i saw it.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the seventies, lasers were a relatively young invention (and thus not quite understood by the general public), making them ideal big bang deathrays for the less technically inclined. If Georgie had possessed any notion of real-world physics, he might've also had the sense to come up with more imaginative names for his energy weapons -- so pointless arguments like this one could have been avoided. [Smile]
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, because anything with "laser" in the name must be a laser as we understand it, even though its observed properties are nothing like those of lasers...

Then again, "observed properties" is a bit of a misnomer isn't it?

In the movies (and I'm talking in general science fiction terms here) we hear sounds in space, but we all know there isn't. We can see ships manuver at speeds faster than light, but never have to worry about "ourselves" only being able to see at the speed of light.
We see ships that dialogue says are kilometres apart dogfighing as if they were metres apart. We see the Federations best ships of the 23rd century looking like they were held up by string.

Eveyone knows that these inconsistencies arise, but if we accept these conventions, they make the movies more dramatic, more lively, more exciting.
Even in movies set in the modern era, we stretch the truth, bullets set off sparks everywhere, airplanes fly impossibly close together without having accidents and having to land on Chinese soil, Tom Cruise can jump off a speeding motorcycle into another person doing the same thing.

I contend that the visuals of all science fiction, indeed much of modern television is inherently flawed, and not representative of "reality" even as defined by the appropriate movie.

Furthermore, I contend that a films dialogue or text is often more "canon" than the visuals, having gone through less abstraction and dramatisation.

Just an off topic thought.

(As for Prismatic EdipisReks, I'm sure that Trek fans would gladly concede that photon torpedos are light-based if Wars fans conceded that lasers are well....lasers. Afterall, Trek fans do have over 500 hours of weird particles, exotic weapons, and technologies that pick and choose from. The loss of one is hardly relevant)

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

quote:
As for Prismatic EdipisReks, I'm sure that Trek fans would gladly concede that photon torpedos are light-based if Wars fans conceded that lasers are well....lasers
well, i'm both a trek and wars fan, and i concede nothing!
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
POKEY, THERE IS NOTHING NEW SAID HERE!!!!

HOORAY!!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps