Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Starship Smackdown: Comicon Report (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Starship Smackdown: Comicon Report
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nurse, quick! get CaptainMike 50cc's of hot fudge, stat!
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE CAFFEINE IN THE CHOCOLATE WOULD IRRITATE MY STOMACH LINING KILL ME!!!!?
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

nurse, quick! 50cc's of hot caffeine for CaptainMike, stat!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
The Drakh mothership didn't look nearly that large onscreen. Especially when a single Whitestar started shooting at it and the whole thing blew up.

We only saw that super-huge Drakh mothership once, and that was in the "Crusade" episode "Each Night I Dream of Home." The Drakh carrier was the long thin one, that was their usual heavy cruiser-type ship seen in the other engagements, and dated back to the B5 episode "Lines of Communication."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah... I thought it was supposed to be the LoC ship. Nevermind, then.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magnus Pym Eye:
That Drakh mothership is ludicrously large. I'm tempted to say something about penises, but, I won't.

Just be glad the size comparison chart doesn't seem to have the Shadow or Vorlon planetkillers.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it had a profile view of a Super Star Destroyer, I'd be REALLY worried... [Wink]

But it's so BIG... and LOOONG...

*shudder*

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the Shadow planetkiller was made up of a whole bunch of small missiles, right? There wasn't one large ship. However, you're right about the Vorlon version...
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well kinda yes, kinda no.

The Shadow planetkiller looked like a cloud that could disperse around a planet and rain down missiles of some sort. However in Call to Arms, when ships enter the cloud there is still a massive super structure. In fact I think the Victory rams a critical spot in the planet killer destroying it.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't tell you why no B5 ships were included. I mean the panel was admittedly Trek-biased, but I think we could have done without one of the Star Destroyers or maybe the ID4 ship. I wonder if it came down to licensing?

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Mucus
Member # 24

Well, the the mix of ships does tend towards older mainstream science fiction.

Nothing from say...B5, Farscape, the newer Star Wars, Stargate SG-1, Andromeda, Earth Final Conflict, DS9, Voyager, etc.
They probably screened out ships that the panel wouldn't be familiar with, I mean a debate in which no one knows anything....uh...moreso.....would be rather uninteresting.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was Red Dwarf in it? That ship is longer than a Super Star Destroyer or even B5.

Not especially glamerous, I'll admit, but still...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I did a bit of research on the ships... I knew that the Drakh mothership from "Crusade" was big, but I had no idea it was that freakin' huge. That's almost large to the point of absurdity.

By comparison, I included a side view of the Super Star Destroyer, based on some calculations I found on a Star Wars site, which said that the Executor was around 11 times the length of the original Star Destroyer, or around 17.6 kilometers.

-

I haven't found any reliable calculations of the size of the Vorlon planet killer, but that thing was probably at least 20 kilometers long, probably a lot more. And from the way I understand the Shadow planet killer, that framework had to be bigger than an entire planet -- which would probably put it somewhere on the order of the Death Star in terms of construction materials.

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty durned big. But I suppose if you are talking about something with the capacity to destroy planets, I suppose you'd need something of that magnitude.

Liam: Actually an audience member did ask why Red Dwarf hadn't been included. Altman's kneejerk reaction was that someone always brings up Red Dwarf. Not really much of an explanation, but it did seem like quite a brush-off. I suppose they wanted to get ships we'd all be familiar with, but I still think Salvage 1 was reaching.

I really wish they'd had size comparison charts like the ones Capt. Kyle and MinutiaeMan have posted. Not that it would have made much of a difference, but it still would have been interesting to see.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy
Ex-Member

would that have been Red Dwarf with crew, or without?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps