Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Why I am justified in hating Andromeda... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why I am justified in hating Andromeda...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Can be found right here. There we have it, Sorbo all but saying "Screw it! I'm doing Herc in Space and ain't no one telling me otherwise!".

Man, I used to really like that show... But one can only watch a car crash in slo motion for so long. I've already resolved not to watch the third season - and catching bits of the season opener and some episode about a ship full of retarded people, it felt like the right choice. With this article, it's sealed.

Goodbye, Andromeda. May you continue to make "Enterprise" look like platinum instead of just shiny gold. [Razz]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ponders on what that last bit means, as he stares at his platinum and shiny gold wedding ring*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There will be no ring staring on my watch.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oo-er.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quickly joining your club, Mark. I watched all of the season premiere, "If the Wheel is Fixed," and my opinion is that it was junk. There were plotholes big enough to drive a couple 18-wheelers through, and there were some elements that just made me want to scream "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!?"

I really hate that Andromeda is going in this direction. The whole point of the show was a lone High Guard ship and captain trying to restore peace in a universe of chaos. That was fun to watch; that's the Andromeda I enjoyed watching. Then they brought in the big bad Magog threat in the second season. I was all right with that, but then that idea seems to have fallen by the wayside in the latter half of season two. Now it looks like Hunt is going to be bumping heads with the Commonwealth he helped restore.

I'll probably keep watching, but I don't know how long that'll last. Some of the most interesting characters are either gone or radically changed. Rev Bem is out of the picture, Trance is magical dominatrix, and Tyr is a sensitive crybaby. Dylan appears to be taking lessons from the Kathryn Janeway School of Command Decisions. Only Beka, Harper, and Rommie still seem to be normal.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense, but anyone who didn't realize that Andromeda was the worst show since AfterMASH after watching the pilot has vision problems.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None taken, but I disagree regardless. The first season was fairly strong IMO, and the characters all managed to shine in some respect in spite of (or perhaps because of) the low budget of the show. There are many proponents that argue against it, but I fully believe that had RHW been allowed to stay, the show would have been able to stay on track and kept on with the original story. No, I wasn't expecting Hamlet in this show, but better an attempt at a serious show than the tripe it has become.

The irony of all this is that the show is now visually quite superior to the way it was in its first two seasons - in what I saw of this season's pilot, there seemed to be more new VFX sequences than a good fraction of the whole last season! Yes, they're apparently of lower quality than before, but they're not much more cheezy than the first ones anyway, as as such quantity would make up for the lack of quality. Still does't save the show, but it'd have been great to see what the show would have been like with those VFX sequences and the original story. Damn.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my defense, I didn't start watching Andromeda until the episode "Star-Crossed." That was about the middle-to-end of the first season. I blame Topher for getting me started on it.

Andromeda has had some very good episodes. Andromeda has also had some very bad episodes. These days, it seems as if the bad are more frequent than the good, but I'll continue watching for a while longer.

When I saw the pilot, I honestly didn't think it was bad. It wasn't the best couple hours of television entertainment ever produced, but I think it was pretty good. It got the series off to a solid step. However, my friend Stephen agrees with you, Sol System. He thinks the pilot was the worse thing since "Encounter at Farpoint."

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capt ussintrepid
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for capt ussintrepid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having just watched the season three opener last night, I have to agree. Hunt has to be the single dumbest starship commander in the history of science fiction.

And Sorbo just doesn't have a clue. It's a pity too, since the show's premise had potential. Sorbo says the show didn't resemble what was pitched to him. Funny how he doesn't understand how irritiating the changes are, since it doesn't resemble the show Robert Hewitt Wolfe promised us originally at all. I really can't beleive how bad this show has gotten. But the, Sorbo is the same doofus who said that Andromeda has no references to other Trek ships since it's so far in the future. Urm, did nobody tell him it isn't a Star Trek show?

--------------------
"Time is short. And so is my temper."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"While the change in direction coincided with the departure of executive producer and writer Robert Hewitt Wolfe..."

He "departed", eh? I suppose that's one way to put it. Another way might be to say he was fired. Another way might be to say he was fired by Sorbo. And yet another way might be to say he was fired by Sorbo for the purpose of the "direction change".

Saying the events "coincided" is like saying the end of WW2 coincided w/ the surrender of the Japanese.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this sinking feeling about "Andromeda" for about a year now, ever since the mindless-shoot-em-up motif came to the forefront in that stupid episode set in a bar with aliens in rubber masks and Ray-Bans went charging in to be slaughtered like ducks in a pond.

Sorbo is an idiot. The executives at Tribune think that explosions equal ratings. The remaining writers think that the viewers are too stupid to follow multi-episode story arcs.

I almost completely gave up on the show after the execrable "Ourobouros" last year, but occasionally sat down to watch some of the good ones (based on online reviews), like the starship AIs that were treated as prisoners of war.

I thought that last season's finale was bad. There was absolutely no point in bringing in this random new uber-menace other than to have more explosions. (As if the Nietzscheans, the Kalderans, the Magog, the Knights of Genetic Purity, and other random planets weren't enough bad guys to create action!)

The premiere was even worse. Not only were Hunt and the others acting like absolutely clueless idiots... not only was it painfully obvious that Tyr and Beka had been possessed by the aliens... not only was there absolutely no logic to the "now it's there, now it's not" Magic Wormhole...

Then the aliens possessing Tyr and Beka started kissing. I got up, turned off the TV, and didn't look back.

The End.

"Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda" is gone. Long live...

-

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

A lot of the problems this season seems to be that the writing staff was shaken up once season two ended. I don't think many first season writers are still there (if any at all).

MinutiaeMan, you left out some other problems with the season premiere. Like the kitten. Like Tyr and Beka tesseracting. Like Tyr hacking into Andromeda's AI network. Like Rommie not noticing the electronic scrambler Tyr had in hand. Like Hunt simply blowing Beka almost destroying them by trying to slipstream when still stuck near the dimensional portal. Like the sudden disappearance of the entire Commonwealth Fleet between the finale and premiere. Like sudden repairs of the Eureka Maru. Like the illogical of having a maintenance mode that floods the ship with lethal gas. Like no one noticing until the end that Tyr was missing his bone blades. I think the writers forgot to watch "The Tunnel at the End of the Light" before writing "If the Wheel is Fixed."

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair, I've never seen AfterMASH.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AfterMASH? What is this?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my god! its got a lot of fan pages! try google.. apparently they tried continuing MASH after the last episode, with Klinger, Mulcahy and Col Potter at home in the mid-50s. Radar guest starred once.

its a scary thing.

BTW, in that interview, Sorbo sounds like a huge dick. hes gloating about getting rid of everybody that wanted to do the show to its premise, now he's got free reign to screw it up. whatta re-re

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps