Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Why I am justified in hating Andromeda... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Why I am justified in hating Andromeda...
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, Mike, you must explain to me what a "re-re" is.

In the article, Kevin Sorbo really does come off as, well, a jerk. I would say that he's relishing the idea of changing Andromeda to fit his vision, but I've never read any other interviews of him. He may just be one of those individuals who isn't really tactful.

I also find it disappointing that Lexa Doig says she was bored during season two. She had a couple good episodes that really expanded on her characters -- "All Too Human" and "The Knight, Death and the Devil." She also had some excellent parts in "The Widening Gyre," "Bunker Hill," and "Belly of the Beast." I'm also wary of this attitude of "be mocked or mock ourselves." What's up with that?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a 're-re' is short for retard. take the first syllable and say it twice. synonomous with 'mo-mo' except i have no idea where that term comes from.

but rest assured, Sorbo is a dick and both a re-re and a mo-mo.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was inspired by the previous comments to go and find some of the classic Sorbo commentary about "Andromeda" from SlipstreamWeb. I think the quotes speak for themselves...
quote:
The producer thinks that Andromeda is exactly what viewers want to see on television. "People want escapism," he said. "They want to see the good guy beat the bad guy. We want to see triumphs that are good over evil, not see people talk about, 'Oh, she's such a bitch.' Oh god, so boring. It's amazing to me, Temptation Island III, whatever."
Published November 28, 2001 - http://www.slipstreamnews.com/news/281101_02.shtml

quote:
In a short news item, Sorbo confirmed the reasons for the split. "Robert is a genius, but was developing stories that were too complicated and too clever for the rest of us to understand," he told the magazine.
Published November 23, 2001 - http://www.slipstreamnews.com/news/231101_01.shtml

quote:
"Obviously, we know what's making this show work, and we also know what we need to improve on."
Published November 24, 2001 - http://www.slipstreamnews.com/news/241101_02.shtml

quote:
"I'm not a good writer, but I certainly can look at a script and say, 'This doesn't make any sense,' ... I don't like treating the audience like they're idiots and I get tired of the fact, especially in television writing - well, it's movies too - that you have to point arrows. If I'm walking down the street, why do I have to say I'm walking down the street? They can see me walking."
Published December 22, 2001 - http://www.slipstreamnews.com/news/221201_01.shtml

quote:
Asked to pick his favourite episode, Sorbo selected 'Ouroboros,' which aired late last month. "'Ouroboros' is probably my favourite episode of the year," he said (via AndromedaTV.com). "I have a few other favourites, but this was probably one of the funnest episodes we did all year. It's got not only a lot of action in it, because this one moves non-stop from the beginning to the end, but there's a huge transformation for one of our characters - Trance. [...] Very very fast-paced and high-energy episode."
Published February 23, 2002 - http://www.slipstreamnews.com/news/230202_03.shtml

quote:
The show is going from strength to strength with changes bought in for season three. "We're going to get away from the Commonwealth," the actor explained. "We've kind of said, 'The hell with it.' Dylan's got to come to the point where he realises that he can't save the universe on his own by restoring it to where it was, with a million member worlds. So he pretty much decides that, 'You know what? We've got this ship and a pretty good crew. Let's just go out there and help people who need our help.'"

"That's right back to the Gene Roddenberry concept."
Published Feburary 16, 2002 - http://www.slipstreamnews.com/news/160202_03.shtml

In the words of one Andromeda character, this guy is a freaking genius! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bizarre. :-/
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
use of the word 'funnest'

-10 points.

basically he's dumbing down the series because he couldn't understand it, the casualties being any intelligent writers that happened to be in his way, and of course the late Roddenberry's good name.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mo-mo is probably "short" for moron.

Or it's what underdeveloped cows say.

Or udderdeveloped!

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*snort*!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Robert is a genius, but was developing stories that were too complicated and too clever for the rest of us to understand."

"I don't like treating the audience like they're idiots..."

So, it's just him, then, who can't understand the scripts?

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no one ever accused Sorbo of towering intellect.
IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His ignorance doesn't excuse his crap-lousy show.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well guys, there may be hope that this pitiful show will be put out of our misery:

http://www.slipstreamnews.com/news/181002_01.shtml

The season two finale had previously gotten the series' lowest ever first-run Nielsen rating, a 2.4. But the season three premiere managed to beat that record, coming in at only a 2.0. And that rating is simply pitiful compared to the season two premiere, which scored a 3.2 rating.

It seems that "Andromeda" is no longer the "number one action hour." And if the viewers continue to turn the show off like rats deserting a sinking ship, maybe the executives will realize what a gigantic mistake they made.

But then again, maybe not... At any rate, the thing I would like most at this point is to read about Mr. Sorbo receiving his pink slip. Not likely, but it would still be nice.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then we'd have TYR running around the universe in a hot spaceship, using his mighty powers of angst to save his own skin week after week. He'd kill Harper and Trance for being too annoying an needlessly mysterious (respectfully), and keep Beka around for fleshy pleasures and general kickassery. I'm down with that. [Smile]

More seriously, it seems that th egeneral audience really DON'T like the latest round of changes. So much for the built-in audience of Hercules... And the disturbingly optimistic posters of the Slipstream forums aside, there is basically NOWHERE left that generally posts positive about Andromeda anymore, so...

Mark

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I've often wondered how Christian, Lisa, and Caillan have managed to diligently keep up with the reports at SlipstreamNews after a whole year of discouraging news. I keep expecting Christian to give up on SlipstreamNews (though he'd probably keep the disturbingly optimistic and exuberant board active as a courtesy to the many members).

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I'm waiting on that too. But I'm still more perturbed by some of the posters - I'm wondering if some of the posters are on the Tribune payroll... Like that Slipfighter guy! Geez, is there anything about this current season that he DOESN'T like the tiniest bit?!

Mark

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I've been lurking on Slipstream for quite a while and things have changed quite a bit.
It was like a freaking love-in in most of first season, but now they have a comfortably large group of Sorbo-haters, Tribune bashers, and cynics...
Yes, they still have a few outspoken oddities, but the numbers are not too unlike whats happening with Star Trek fans and Voyager lovers.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps