Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Two Towers-Spoilers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Two Towers-Spoilers
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this great movie today. The CGI is the best I have seen in the past five years. Gollum is a real treat. Another goodie is the Ents attacking the tower of Isengard. Characterization is strong, especially in the battle sequences where confusion and lack of attention can result in not identifying who is who. The brother of Boromir is changed and is portrayed as a hardened warrior with wisdom and integrity who is attracted to the ring and rejects the ring later. I like the humor in the film. Gimli's character offers moments of ease in tense situations. He even goes into the differences between the men and women in Dwarf society. This piece of trivia is located not in the Rings trilogy and can be found only in the writings of Tolkien. For those who missed the Bombadil sequence, there is a brief mention of the Old Forest by Merry in Fangorn Forest.

I rate the film a 9.9. I drop a .1 for the song "Gollum's Song" written by Fran Walsh and sung by a singer whose name I don't remember clearly. I never want to hear this song again.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a great movie.
"Toss me, I can't jump, don't tell the Elf"

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great film but I did miss the homely and serene atmosphere that were present in Fellowship (hobbiton, lorien), but I'm sure that was the point.

I was very impressed by Gollum, both as a special effect and as a believable character, Lucas's people can learn allot from this one.
I especially liked the schizophrenic conversation, very funny.

However, did anyone else find treebeard's dialogue a little hard to follow?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope he tops my new nemesis, Dobby. ;.)

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the movie yesterday - first session 9:50 - theater was packed solid.

The movie was one brilliant and amazing piece of cinematic greatness!

It was... ORGASMIC!

I loved it so.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
It was... ORGASMIC!

I loved it so.

Saw it on the first day in Canada....what better way than to avoid hearing Andrew's reaction firsthand [Wink]
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just occured to me - what's the point of having spoiler warnings in a thread about a movie based on a book that any respectable visitor to this forum has read at least once?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I havn't read it yet, I am trying but it's hard going when I'm not at all used to reading fantasy stories.
So far I'm up the the bit when they reach Cricklewood.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never said I was respectable anyway! [Razz]

But still, I'm working on the book now. Up to Tom Bombidle. (yes...spelling sucks muchly.)

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never read any of Tolkien's works, so [Razz]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it today. It was good. No one in the audience seemed to take Gollum seriously though, and nearly all of his lines brought great laughs from the audience, regardless of their intent. This was too bad. Poor Gollum.

Gollum has a song? Is that the one over the end credits? I almost thought it was Bjork singing, which is about as great an improvement as you can get over Enya without invoking divine intervention or parallel universes. At any rate, it was better than a sharp stick in the eye, or anything Destiny's Child has done since they let Beyonce hold a pen.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News to hand, TTT had the biggest opening in Australia's history on Thursday. Cool.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw it today. Very good. Gollum is amazing. Not too sure about how they've changed Frodo and Sam's journey, but then given you have a whole book (one of six, we're talking here, half of one volume) written with them trying to get to Mordor and not a lot happens, I suppose they had to liven things up a bit.

One niggle: another blond elf at Helm's Deep? My wife was bawling her eyes out in the cinema because she thought that was Legolas who'd just got killed. I've had to reassure her that both Aragorn and Legolas (who are equally gorgeous, apparently) survive to the end of the story. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

It was Haldir - who we met in the eaves of the woods of Lorien in the first meeting - talking about how they could hear a Dwarf miles away.

Supposedly the Elvish soldiers were from Rivendell. So I guess Haldir doesn't always stay in Lorien - or there was contingent from Lorien as well.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I knew who he was, it was Kate who didn't. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps