Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Andromeda loses more writers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Andromeda loses more writers
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I really dunno why I feel continually obligated to spread news about the decline of this show. But a while back, someone wondered why the people who run Slipstreamweb.com still bother to run their website as they have done rather faithfully through Andromeda's wasting away to nothing that'd interest a sci-fi fan.

But still...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Apart from Berman though, all the initial lot (Justman, Trome, Snodgrass) left, and the recognisable faces (Pillar, Moore etc) didn't start until a fair way into the show. Did anyone on the first or second season writing staff remain?

Ah, I stand corrected.

However, in TNG's case I think that there was still a strong sense of the creator's intent for the series, and the characters and the setting were maintained to a great degree. It was mainly the method of storywriting that was changed. Also, Roddenberry still had some say in the show at that point (as far as I'm aware, anyway) even if it was just supervisory.

In Andromeda's case, they specifically canned Robert Hewitt Wolfe (or pushed him out, whatever) so that they could fuck the series up as much as they wanted.

I'm not surprised that Christian and Lisa decided to shut down that message board. I don't know much at all about the internal community, but if they're not getting anything out of it, then I don't blame them one bit.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

. But a while back, someone wondered why the people who run Slipstreamweb.com still bother to run their website

Still trying to figure that one out.

On a side note, I saw Andromeda this weekend, for the first time in weeks, and much to my surprise it was pretty good. Even though they used a lot of clips, for once it worked, and worked well. Another Ashley Miller/Zack Stenzt episode.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I watched that one too -- "The Unconquerable Man"? My sister's been a fan of the show throughout (she doesn't see anything wrong with the show overall, I think), and she told me about this one.

Though the temporal acrobatics were a bit silly (especially how so many things were the same in both timelines), the basic concept is a good one, and the story itself was excellent.

Was it just me, or was Rhade not played by Steve Bacic this time around? I wasn't paying attention to the opening credits.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stumbled on the latter half, and filled it in with a fan synopsis. Yes, it's Steve Bacic. Also, it was Yesterday's Enterprise.

Rahde makes a better Nitzechean than Tyr ever will. Enormous muscles and Shakespearean talent never beat the conviction of character that Rhade had IMO, and continued to have in all the episodes he was in after he died. [Razz]

Mark

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Rahde makes a better Nitzechean than Tyr ever will. Enormous muscles and Shakespearean talent never beat the conviction of character that Rhade had IMO, and continued to have in all the episodes he was in after he died.

Obviously. Rhade killed Tyr outright, and all Tyr had to show for it was that little scar on Rhade's hand. [Wink]

I think the great thing about it, though, is the fact that Rhade is a better Nietzschean -- that he represents the ideal that was lost when the Prides turned on each other after destroying the Commonwealth.

Yeah, there were a lot of similarities to "Yesterday's Enterprise." The interesting thing, though, was that whoever Trance's people were, they had enough control of the timeline to recognize and influence past events. That actually makes a bit of sense. Any later events aside, it doesn't exactly make sense that any Nietzschean with superior coordination and strength could be out-drawn by a "mere" Human like Dylan Hunt.

--------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashley and Zack really did a number on this one. They not only told a good story, made a decent clip show and had a better actor at the helm of Andromeda, they made the god awful episode, "Oroborus" come out better. I missed the begining, but I can get it this weekend. It will be the first time since the first season that I have looked forward to watching the show.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Yes. Among things, they resolved the "I'm proud of you" mystery line of Rhade's that we were always debating - and they did it well. And yes, they made "Ourobouros" make sense too.

Too bad Rhade is still dead... But they did leave an obvious opening. Rhade killed himself, and he had to do SOMETHING with his body. Or did he even kill himself? A fatal blast tends to leave a hole in the uniform, and there was nothing apparent when he took off the tunic. Maybe he stunned himself, then dropped himself into an escape capsule and ejected it, leaving himself to re-enter the show later on...

Pfft. Like THAT would ever happen, and like THAT would make me watch this otherwise still putrifying show. Too late, Tribune! Too late!

Mark

--------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

I tried to watch this weeks offering, but it was bck to sucking air, and I didn't finish it.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

That's okay. Apparently, Tyr's off the show now too.

Mark

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Well well... I had to dig around a little bit to find something reasonably official, but here it is:

Straight from Mr. Cobb himself.

Ding, dong, the show is dead! Do you think they'll bury the corpse before it starts to rot? Or will they continue to molest it for a few more years?

--------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

I just e-mailed Uni Sallis Lillus, who I know from Slipstream/Ex Isle. I get the idea from what he said that he really isn't interested in doing more then the 4 he's obligated to do, but she will probably know more.

(edit)
Opps, Lil is in London, so it may be a while before I hear from her.(/edit)

[ February 24, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Kosh ]

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps