Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate SG1 "Disclosure" (Spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stargate SG1 "Disclosure" (Spoilers)
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have now seen all of seasons one and two. My head is still spinning a bit, from watching all of it, including the pilot. I wish season three was out, and I could watch it the same way, but I will have to settle for season four episodes tonight on Sci-Fi.

I skipped Friday nights new episode, I may be able to see it later, but after Farscape, I started watching the Stargates, and kept going till about 4am. I finished them about 7pm on Sunday night. Just enough time to get something to eat, and watch Six Feet Under.

Have to agree about Shanks. He is far better in Stargate then he was on Andromeda. I haven't seen the Stargate movie in years, and had forgotten that he was in it.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, I don't think he was. Were there any major returning characters between the movie and the TV series?

*back after checking imdb*

About the only match I can see between the two lists is the actor that plays Skaara. Not even Kawalski, surprisingly enough. Must have been one big blood-letting, I could have sworn that the actress that played Catherine (the lady that first recruits Daniel in the movie) came back, but that doesn't seem to show up either. Interestingly enough John Rhys-Davies was in the original movie [Wink]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erick Avari reprises his role as Kassuf, Sha're and Skaara's dad. That's about it, though.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the actress who played Catherine died, actually, shortly after the movie was filmed. But then, that character only appeared on the show once anyway. I'd be rather interested to hear more detailed comments by the movie producers on the show. They apparently weren't too happy with it...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Torment of Tantalus" I think, I only know that because I have the soundtrack from the first season handy [Smile]
In any case, I don't really know where to begin to look, aside from a general google search...but that seems to agree with my hazy memories from that time.

I think that the people who created the movie, planned for sequels. However, the studio either cut them out of the loop intentionally, or just got tired of waiting for them to finish making other movies, whatever the reason...they went ahead with the TV show.
As the rumour went, the story from the TV show had nothing to do with what the original creators had planned. They were angry that the studio had "intentionally" killed off all the characters that they would have used (Skaara, Sha'uri (sp.), Kawalski...).
Interestingly enough, this makes three different post-movie timelines since the novels (which are decidedly average, but probably more realistic) describe something completely different from either the show or what was originally planned (presumeably).

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three? I only know of the novels and the show.

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

Ack, sure...post before I get a useful link [Wink]
Might be useful
Not as good as I had hoped, but its all I could find quickly.

Yes three, the novels, the show, and what was originally intended by Dean Devlin and his partner. Its a bit confusing because SG-1 has its own novels as well, which have nothing to do with the previous (2?) novels. Considering that they went onto ID4, Godzilla, and The Patriot, we're probably better off with the show.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Stargate film was originally meant to be the first in a series, possibly a trilogy. In it, Ra (being the ONLY alien, and not a Goa'uld) is succeeded by a human Hathor and a series of non-alien folks who were living the way of the Egyptian gods.

I've read two of the novels, and in all honesty they're not that good. Most of the action is only between Earth and Abydos, and eventually a third planet once they realize the Stargate does go other places (though they never do explain how the gate works or is dialed without a DHD or big mechanical spinning things). Interesting, though, since the Stargate in the film is suddenly big enough to fit whole trucks... Anyway, between the two I *much* prefer the TV series.

Mark

--------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

But then, that character only appeared on the show once anyway.

I've seen her twice now. Once in the episode where they find her old boyfriend, who had gone through the gate in the 40's, before they knew what it was, or how to get back. The control on the other end was broken, and he couldn't fix it, so he spent 50 years studying the place.

She was also in an alternate universe story and was still running the Stargate program.

I may get the movie. I don't remember all that much about it. Somone had told me that Shanks was in it, along with the kid that played Skaara. I guess the kid is the only one then. I hadn't looked myself.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanks wasn't in it, but it's very impressive how well he managed to imitate James Spader's portrayal of the character. They don't even look too incredibly different.

As for Catherine, I think she also showed up when SG-1 went back to the '60s, but, being thirty years younger, she was played by a third actress.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Shanks wasn't in it, but it's very impressive how well he managed to imitate James Spader's portrayal of the character.

For about five minutes, before losing the need to werar glasses ever again apart from the "I'm being really intelligent" scenes. And as for the sneezing. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

They establish that he takes anti-histimines to control the allergies. The glasses dissapear mostly because... Shanks doesn't like 'em. [Razz]

However, both could be eventually explained away by any number of exposures to sarcophagi, laser-eye surgeons, ascensions to higher planes...

Mark

--------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

I got the movie yesterday. I can see where my friend could have been confused. They look enough alike.

I remember renting the movie when it came out. I don't think I paid enough attention to it. I remember getting lost somewhere along the line, and didn't understand how they managed to get the bomb on the ship. I see now it was the rings, using the controll of the guy who's hand had been cut off by the ring transporter. They never used the word Gua'uld, but it looks like they just didn't know who they were, or what Ra's race was. It had all of the technology that we see in the series.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Omega
Member # 91

Yeah, but it was also rather obvious that we were dealing with a Roswell Grey, not a small snake. Which makes little sense, mind you. If he was the last of his race, and hadn't visited earth since 10,000 years ago, then where would our reports of seeing them have originated? Unless, of course, you want to say the Goa'ould had possessed the last of a dying race... which is possible... wouldn't explain why we saw the grey at the end of the movie when Ra got fried, but we could pass that off as simple imagry used in filmmaking.

Of course, none of this explains one of the major inconsistancies we see between the movie and the show. Taking the whole "how do they dial the dumb thing?" question further, how the frell are these addresses supposed to work? Looking at the movie, every gate has its own set of symbols based on the constellations seen from that planet, plus one symbol for the planet itself. But constellations don't exist in three-space. They're just images we see, not actual places that can be used as points of reference. Nor do you need six predefined points to plot a single other point. Three will do nicely in cubical coordinates, or four if you think the intersecting line dealie would work out. Six would define some sort of unbounded region, if not. Further, what a dumb idea, to have a gate that's address symbols for another planet are based on the planet you're on. If that was the case, you'd have to not only memorize the unique address of a given planet, but the address of that planet from every other planet. Makes so much more sense to have a single, unique address for each planet. But then you have the question of why every gate throughout the universe should have ourconstellations printed all over them. Perhaps all the gates we've seen were actually put there by the Goa'ould, and they based the gates on our constellations because Earth was where Ra found their oh-so-useful new hosts? Good thing that the Abydos gate mysteriously matches our own as of "Children of the Gods", otherwise we'd be screwed.

Moreover, what kind of idiots were the original runners of the gate program? They knew the first six symbols, and knew they were right. They didn't need Jackson or two years of translation efforts, they should have just tried the other thirty-three symbols in sequence! DUH!

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

UNtil Jackson came along, they didn't KNOW that they had to put seven symbols in. The cartouche was misleading them to believe there neeeded to be six.

As for the addresses, that's one thing they never really tried to rationalize. Fans speculate tah the constellations' CENTRE is what you're vaguely aiming for. In the series, the symbols don't always change (and on the prop they cart around to the location shoots, they certainly don't). What many people think is that the symbols may change, but their corresponding location on the gate does not. That way, you can dial earth from anywhere by hitting the right buttons on the DHD. Also, when they send the MALP ahead of an SG team, they should typically confirm the address needed to dial home BEFORE anyone leaves. See "Prisoners" in the second season for clues to this.

Relevant SG-1 Link of the Day (tm)

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps