Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Riverworld (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Riverworld
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed it last night, seeing about 10 minutes, but for future reference. What did you think of the movie?

Of the different characters?

Most of the Ex Islers seemed to like it, but they tend to be easy on some shows.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it. Is it a series pilot, to be based on the books?

I haven't read the books, so I don't know the whole story, although I've read the plot blurbs. The movie seemed not to cover a whole lot of ground, so I assume it was a pilot. Actually the movie made me more interested in reading the books, as well.

They only named 3 historical figures I could recognize: Nero, Samuel Clemens / Mark Twain, and Alice Liddel (some other last name), who was the little girl Lewis Carrol wrote the "Alice in Wonderland" stories for.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a pilot, but I think it's almost a certainty that it will never turn into a show.
Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't get to see it. I saw the previews when they first came out and wasn't too interested for one reason.

After going on about so-and-so director who is brining you a new look at the afterlife, the preview never mentions once Philp Jose Farmer's name. I Guess, Farmer was just that bloke who wrote a book that give an opportunity of a great director to give us "his vision" of the afterlife.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SciFi thinks Kari Skogland is a "name" director? Yikes.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was refering to Alex Proyas, who produced, I guess, and who is a "name," in the sense that he directed one movie that was stylish if boring and dumb, and one movie that is one of my favorites.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So has anyone seen it who's actually read the books? How did it compare? I'm guessing nudity didn't feature a great deal.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
So has anyone seen it who's actually read the books? How did it compare? I'm guessing nudity didn't feature a great deal.

I going to try to talk to a guy here at work, who has read the books and saw the movie. Kind of busy right now, but I'll let you know what he says.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the book's main protagonist was R.F. Burton. Wasn't he even in it?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
I thought the book's main protagonist was R.F. Burton. Wasn't he even in it?

I've never read them, but I've seen some comments about thatr. People wishing thet the character had been Richard Burton.

I talked to the only person I know who has seen the film and read the first book. I had forgotten how confusing he can be.

If I understood him, he was saying that they did a lot of things from the book, but changed a good bit as well. He was telling me what all happens, and switching form movie to book and back to movie, so I'm not clear on what happened where. Over all he liked both.

I've been watching a thread at Ex Isle, but so far I haven't seen anyone say they read the books. I'm interested now. I don't know when I'll get a chance to read them. My new computer was delivered today, and I'll be setting it up this evening, and hooking up the cable modem.

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the prequel to Waterworld or something?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*smacks him upside the head*

The Riverworld saga was written by Philip Jose Farmer and comprises:-

• Riverworld (short story)
  • To Your Scattered Bodies Go
  • The Fabulous Riverboat
  • The Dark Design
  • The Magic Labyrinth
  • Gods of Riverworld

Basically, everyone who's ever lived is reincarnated along the banks of a wide river that meanders all over the planet. A bunch of characters both historical and fictitious attempt to find out why. That's it, really.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it is one of the most thought-provoking examples of Science Fiction. Everyone should read it once.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Lee
Member # 393

Well. . . Maybe. But only once. Repeated readings only highlight how dependent he is on nostalgia in place of character development: people spend far too much time telling each other the story of their earth-bound lives. I mean, Christ, if we really want to learn the life stories of Tom Mix, Jack London (both heroes of PJF, incidentally), Aphra Behn, whoever, we'll look it up ourselves - don't take up half a chapter with it.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I think I've read the short story that came before the first novel, but never the books. What I hear from most people seems to be that the first one is super neat, the second OK, but things completely fall apart after that.

But, consider, I read (and own!) all of the Dune novels. So, what do I know about series that have outlived their usefulness?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps