Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Riverworld (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Riverworld
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose the saga for the most part retains its course, but it jumps around too much between characters and, if not for the endless potted mini-biographies, would be a lot shorter.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the first and the last ('Gods') are the best - and stand alone fairly well. I do like his philosophizing regarding technological metaphysics
-(if a soul is an synthetic artifact, do the creators of your soul own 'copyrights'? - up to and including recreation, editing and deleting?
- is the reincarnated v2.0 of you really 'you'? What about v56.0 (Burton commits suicide several times - either to escape present captors or to travel).
Actually, I like the last one best of all. The middle ones spend there time watching various persons attempt to reach the polar region (north or south, I don't remember) where the control system for the Riverworld is located. And we get to see their petty human failings get the better of them. The most maddening is Sam Clemens - whose belief in predestination (and guilt over the death of his child) is pedantically (and boringly) regurgitated over and over again.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:
-(if a soul is a synthetic artifact, do the creators of your soul own 'copyrights'? - up to and including recreation, editing and deleting?

I don't think this is that much of a quandry. Putting aside the issue of whether a soul seperate from your body exists, "you" as an individual (regardless of your substance or essence) are created by your parents, and we all, for the most part, recognize that the parental role is a priviledged but not infinitely so.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps