Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » New V a "go" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New V a "go"
darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://pub61.ezboard.com/filanasmothershipfrm1.showMessage?topicID=80.topic

Apparently, Ken Johnson, the creator of V, has done a deal to get a "Next Generation"-type continuation of V into production. No real details yet, except that this would likely IGNORE the weekly series and follow from either the end of the first or second mini-serieses...

Here's hoping! With all the feldgercarb floating about from the BSG "continuation vs reimagining" war, this is good news for fans of a classic show!

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've waited many years to see V return. I only hope they resume where the first feature length series (The Final Battle) left off.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's like saying you waited years for "Automan" to return. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erh, no.

V was great. For its time. For pre-teenagers who thought weird-voiced, mouse-eating, resource-draining lizards-in-disguise led by admiral Paris were kickass aliens. For critics who didn't care about its low budget and sloppy acting. And even for sci-fi freaks.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
Erh, no.

V was great. For its time. For pre-teenagers who thought weird-voiced, mouse-eating, resource-draining lizards-in-disguise led by admiral Paris were kickass aliens. For critics who didn't care about its low budget and sloppy acting. And even for sci-fi freaks.

Well, as long as you ignore low budget and sloppy acting....and overall shakey plot, then yes, I guess it was "great". I reacll some kind of quasi-religous messaiah plotline involving a hybrid girl with magical powers at the end. ({shudder))
I liked it as a child...but I also loved Starblazers and Land of the Lost waaaay back then too: now go back and re-watch those episodes and you'll see how terrible many of them truly were.
It's easy to remember those childhood shoes with rose-colored glasses untill you wtch them now and cringe at their low quality.
Whae Mark Singer and the guy that plays Freddie are the best actors in a TV show, you're in for one craptacular performance.

THey could, I suppose, re-make it from the begining, but why bother: Independence Day part 2 has already been greenlighted for some time now.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Jason, you're not a big fan of TOS either, huh?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Not as a series as a whole, no.
TOS did, however have some innovative stories that have stood the test of time while "V" was a biiig analgy for Paris in WWII.
V was nothing we had not seen before in war movies.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's easy to remember those childhood shoes with rose-colored glasses untill you wtch them now and cringe at their low quality."

Yeah, I know. There was a time I dug the A-Team and, uh, the Transformers (back when it was still socially acceptable to watch cartoons), something I'm having a veeery hard time reconciling with my, uh, more attuned taste today, BUT V was special, dammit! Do not taint my fond memories of Collaborator Boy ending up on Diana's dining platter! Or of Soap Girl giving birth to a... what the hell was that, anyway? Freaked me out more than Alien did.

Ah, nostalgia.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Two words: Battlestar Galactica.
Seemed so cool when I was six and sooooo lame now.

V was the same way: a moment or two of satisfaction of watching a collaborator become dinner for every hundred of over-acted agnst and obvious betrayals that a blind man could see a mile away.
Aliens traveling bilions of miles to steal our water is a baad concept.
Admit it.
Bad.

The hot lizard bitch with the open neckline was my pre-pubescent reason for watching V.
Back when my total concept of women's anatomical diffrences was "boobies". [Eek!]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely we are living in the golden age of cartoons for adults, though?

"What's that, pods? The Blob is very, very fat?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Oh yeah.
Animated stuff has become golden while live action has almost stagnated.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another story here:

http://scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-06/09/14.00.tv

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Marc Singer, Jane Badler and Faye Grant will have jobs again!
Surely the moon will turn to blood and the seventh seal will be broken....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Is there ANYTHING you DO like, Jason? [Roll Eyes]

2. Don't blame Ken Johnson for the "starchild" fiasco, that wasn't HIS idea. He dropped out EARLY in the planning stages for "Final Battle".

V was one of NBCs highest ever rated mini-serieses. To be that, it had to have (and DID have) more to offer than "geek stuff".

Maybe it offends the "artistic sensibilities" of some around here, but then again, Comic Book Guy has HIS supporters too...I've posted about this on several different sites, and the response has been 90-95% positive, which is as it SHOULD be for such a quality show. (Mind you, we're NOT talking about that sorry mess for a "series", but rather the minis, especially the first one.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Weeeell....if you limit it to ONLY the initial mini-series, then yes.
I agree that "V" was very good for it's time and had untold potential.

Too bad the series blew all that potential.

It's really hard to accept a premise of "as long as you ignore 90% of the stuff after the pilot it was great" as a reason to revive something.

Still, I'll probably watch it and hope for the best. They're at least continuing with original actors and aknowledging that time has past between series.
I much prefer this track of thinking over the "re-imagining" of Battlestar Galactica. [Wink]

See? Positive feedback for you.
Just don't expect the same open mindedness from me when the rest of the 80's shows return like zombies.
I'll skip a new A-Team, Magnum PI, or anything with the word "bionic" in it. (shudder)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps