Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » A theory about the ending of Reloaded (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A theory about the ending of Reloaded
aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this on the forum part of the Revolutions section on IMDB.

quote:
There are even a small group who believe that Neo's mind was tainted with a program, which was conceiled in the candy the Oracle gave him (though they are a minority, there is little evidence for that).
Anyway, these people attribute certain things about Neo (the Architect's statements. Also machine-traits, like his ability to forsee the future, and to see the code of the Matrix), to the fact that part of his mind is a machine-written program, as part of him being a control within the Matrix (albiet, not a perfect one).
This ties in with the final scene, because it is assumed that-
a) Neo had no possible, physical way of stopping those sentinels,
and
b) A program stored in a human brain would have a neuron arrangement identical to the pattern and inductance of a circuit.
If Neo was, in fact, part program, and his brain had a machine's circuit-inductance, it would account for many things.
1) The stopping of the sentinels. As the ship, The Hammer, hovered up and saved everyone mere seconds later, we assume that it was an EMP from The Hammer which disabled the sentinels. Neo collapsed, however. If Neo's brain had the inductance of a machine-circuit, and EMP would have disabled it. This accounts for Neo falling into a coma.
2) Neo claiming he could 'feel' the sentinels coming. The sentinels no-doubt need to communicate with one another, directly. Hence, we can assume that they send out radio signals, and communicate via their computer inductance. If Neo, too, had a similar inductance, he would be able to pick up on those signals, and know that the sentinels were there.
3) Neo thought he could stop the sentinels. If Neo could feel the inductance of the sentinels, he'd be detecting their programs. For Neo, as The One, the sensation of 'feeling' the presence of other programs (like he did with the Agents at the beginning of the movie), would make him feel like he was still in the Matrix. Is it any wonder then, that he thought he had the power to stop them?
4) The sentinels weren't ready to attack. The sentinels have weapons on the end of their tenticals, and a big cutting laser in the middle of their bodied. However, when they were coming to "destroy" Neo, they had none of these weapons drawn, and showed no signs of slowing down. Instead, they behaved as if they were going to fly over the top of Neo's head, and go after something else. If Neo could sense the inductance of the sentinels, and identify them as fellow-programs, they could do the same with him, and as such recognise him as a machine, hence, not a threat.
5) Agent Smith/Bane, the survivor. Bane, inhabited by Agent Smith, would have an inductance exactly like Neo. If this was the case, it explains not only why he escaped the 'slaughter' of all the other humans without a single scratch, but also why he too, was cast into a coma like Neo (the EMP would have disabled part of his brain).

All in all, this is what I (and some others) believe makes Bane special, and why he is given that final shot at the end of the movie. He's there as a clue to us, to show that Neo is part machine/program.

I personally think that this is a definate possibility. Especially the part about the Hammer EMP'ing the sentinels which also induces a coma in Neo, and how this ties in with Bane and why he had a similar coma. After all it is more or less confirmed that Bane was the lone survivor of the ships and that he set off the EMP. After all that would be a perfect sabotage by the Agent Smith controlled Bane
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe this theory hinges almost everything on point B, that a program within the human brain would be structured like a machine circuitry. I'm not sure I buy this. Programs are software, not hardware, aren't they? Storing programs does not involve circuitries, but I don't know about running programs. I'm way out of my league here, does anyone know if this is possible or not?

Also, an EMP from the Hammer would have required her to land and power down. I'm not sure the Captain of the ship would have been up to that, considering that a couple dozen meters away is the burning wreckage of the Neverkanezer. If the Hammer had powered down, she would have been a sitting duck in the bomb tossing range of the same AIs that took out the Nev. This is just me, but I imagine the Hammer would have came in guns blazing, rather than doing the EMP. It better ensures their chance of survival, though one can argue that if they were willing to make a run to look for survivors after the botched attack on the AI drilling operation, that they're a daring and risk-taking bunch.

In any case, this whole argument is based on the perspective that Neo doesn't have any power outside of the Matrix. How he could hope to stop the AIs like that, I don't know.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your point and it makes me think about it. I aren't so sure about whether or not Neo does have any out of the matrix powers. In the original there is the point made that he couldnt have been the one if he died out of the matrix... but Im not so sure how this would work.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if an EMP blast from Hammer did disable Neo, why didn't the Neb's do the same in the first film?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NEBUCHADNEZZAR, gents.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it is just me, but I think that Neo just has somesort of WiFi connection to the Matrix, and using that he was able to get control and stop those things at the end...

Maybe somehow toutching the sorce gave him that power.

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

aneurysm
Member # 906

Neo seems to gradually be getting new powers, maybe this was just an extension....
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that any ship that launches an EMP will have to shut itself down before doing so. Also, you'll remember that Bane/Smith activated the EMP system to shut down the five ships that were there, making it easy prey for the Sentinels. Finally, I do not find it possible that the Hammer fired the EMP as it too would have needed to shut down, and it could not possibly take mere seconds to reactivate everything to rescue the crew of the Neb[whatever].

Perhaps Neo's EMP was a baby, he doesn't yet know the true extent of his power. But given what was mentioned, maybe Bane/Smith had a better idea of what was going on, and therefore why his EMP could have been much bigger in order to disable 5 ships. I don't think Bane/Smith knew exactly where the EMP trigger was, and even if he knew, I don't think he would make a blatant attempt to attack the front of the ship. You'll recall the switch to activate the EMP is close to the front of the ship.

Electrical Bypass? Maybe, but I don't think he'd have enough time or knowledge of these ships to activate it.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a sort of rippling/distortion effect in The Matrix from the Nebuchadnezzar (I was in a hurry yesterday [Razz] )? I can't remember seeing anything like that when the sentinals went down.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there's anything to the idea of Neo having a program in his head. I think he suddenly realised that Zion isn't reality either. Zion is simply a bubble around the bubble of the vR world of the Matrix.

That leaves the humans in the Matrix the illusion of choice - a world to "escape" to, while ensuring that they don't really escape.

And if each version of the Matrix is built inside the previous one, then escaping Zion would mean only going up one more level. If the Matrix is the 5th iteration, Zion is the 4th, then there'd be 3 more levels to go through before escaping to reality. Dante, anyone?

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is assuming the Architect is not a construct within the matrix and therefore his assertion that Neo is the 5th 'one' meaning only the 5th that he's seen and there are 240 other Architects who came before and for each of them X 'ones'... *pop!*

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Matrix within the Matrix is well-documented here, and seems to me as the most logical.

However, as several people have noted, such an idea would make for a bad 3rd movie, and there is hope that this idea is not the case.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I subscribe to the theory of the matrix within the matrix. With the given data I feel that this is the best possible theory. I however feel that this would make for a very interesting 3rd movie.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was quite interested in that IMDB thread, until I came to this.

quote:
As things currently stand, the human brain uses 5 - 15 percent of its capacity/usage (depending on who you talk to), but, people with meta-normal abilities seem to show a higher brain usage than those that don't have some sort of ESP abilities (this has been scientifically proven by the way).
I then screamed loudly and ran my head through a nearby window.

Idiots.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I think no. I stand with the matrix-within a matrix theroy.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps