Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Animatrix $$ (reviews ala Simon) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ Animatrix $$ (reviews ala Simon)
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Final Flight of the Osiris"

The swordfight in the beginning: wow! Some of the techniques were ones I've always wanted to see in Highlander. I didn't care for the sexual aspect of the fight, but man, that is some intense swordwork, and I enjoyed seeing it carry the same visual technique as the gun battles from the film.

I appreciated the story: a threat to Zion, I guess elaborated on in the new films? I haven't seen 'em yet - probably wait for DVD. Meh, shut-it! I enjoyed the sacrificial aspect of the story, wish it could have been drawn out a bit more.

"The Second Renaissance"

I'm reviewing this as one bit, although it is packaged as parts one AND two.

I enjoyed the animation style of this the best. I liked seeing how the robots eventually took control -- what's so sad is how often mankind had the opportunity to change their future by extending the hand of friendship, but instead extended the hand of war: and lost everything.

I don't get *how* they completely blocked out the sky. How do you destroy a sky?

I enjoyed the World War II and Vietnam parallels in this story: i.e., the soldier putting the gun to the robot's head and firing, the robots being pushed into giant graves by 'dozers. That imagery worked, to my mind, particularly well.

I also enjoyed how the liberals were all for standing up for the robot's rights

"Kid's Story"

I didn't like the animation style on this -- too, "choppy"? The story seems uninspired, or rather, inspired too much by Neo's own journey. Kid searches for "truth" on net, gets mystery reply; next day in class phone rings, "they're coming for you." Big chase, agents trap him, only escape is to fall off a building. Somehow, miraculously, survives and is rescued by the Nebecanezzer. Forgive my spelling.

* I thought the reason Neo was rescued was because Morpheous and Co. were able to somehow track his physical body by doing something to his Matrix form? Did this happen with this kid?

* Since he's "dead" in the Matrix world, can he still rejoin?

"Program"

Woohoo, more bladed weapons. A test for a new escapee from the Matrix. Not sure how "new" she is. A comrade - implication, lover - tells her he's made the decision to sell out to the machines and rejoin the Matrix. Cypher all over again, right? Big fight, steel against steel, massively oversized bladed weapons doing ridiculous amounts of damage. Stylish, but I didn't really care for it. Like "Kid's Story", it seemed like a direct rip-off of the movie which fails to "expand" the understanding of the universe of the Matrix.

* Note: she was on Zion, I assume? She boards elevator later, and it takes her up MANY levels -- I don't think the hoverships even have elevators, and they certainly don't have that many decks.

"World Record"

Worst of 'em all. The animation is plain horrible, it looks like the characters are experiencing 20gs or something, their faces and bodies are being "peeled" back in all directions. It's hard to focus on. Athelete through supreme physical exertion manages to "regain awareness" in the red-bubble-bath before collapsing on track. Later overcomes "physical" restrictions on his body placed by the Agents. Okay story, animation bad, clarity poor.

This is all I've seen so far. I've got "Beyond", "A Detective Story', and "Matriculated" to go.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't think the hoverships even have elevators, and they certainly don't have that many decks."

Not necessarily, there could be more ship classes than the two we've seen so far.

"probably wait for DVD. Meh, shut-it!"

Living life to the fullest, eh? *KA-SNORT!!*

About the weapons and damage in "Program", you seem to forget Morpheus' moves in the sparring program of Matrix 1.
I loved it, all of it, especially Hedy Burress' seksee voice.

You'll hear her again, in "Beyond". She's cutesy redhead.

Note: If you liked MTV's "�on Flux", you'll like "Matriculated", believe me.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to pick this DVD up. I wonder what Amazon is selling it for...

I saw a few of them on the site, but I want to buy the DVD. Mostly for "Osiris".

I *loved* Aeon Flux, so naturally, I'm all curious to see "Matriculated".

I thought Detective Story was good, though I think it could've done more.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Final Flight, World Record, Kid's Story and Second Renaissance pt1 on Five (although for some reason they put them on at midnight and I forgot to set the video up for Rennaisance pt2 [Mad] )

I agree with Snay; Final Flight and Second Rennaisance were definitely the best of the ones I've seen and I didn't care for the animation styles on Kid's Story and World Record. I'll probably get the DVD; I have a �5 Amazon voucher somewhere in my inbox...

quote:
She's cutesy redhead.

Sounds good to me... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only did I watch all of these, but I also listened (well, read) the commentary tracks. Thus, I can answer this:
quote:
I don't get *how* they completely blocked out the sky. How do you destroy a sky?
According to the director, those clouds of inky blackness were made up of nanomachines. Admittedly, nanotech is the new magic, but the implication is that they weren't simply creating clouds that block the sun, but instigating some sort of active (and self-renewing?) process that created an opaque layer in the atmosphere.

Really, the whole "scorched the sky" thing makes very little sense. If you're faced with an apocalyptic war between robots and organic life, a strategy that will ensure the extinction of 99% of that life hardly seems sound. Plus it didn't work, even a little.

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kid from Kids Story is the same person that follows neo around in Reloaded. Quite cool in my opinion, and i really like the art work on this one. Beyond is basically about a group of kids who find a glitch in the matrix..gravity isnt working as it should. not bad, but by no means the best. that goes to Osiris in my opinion. Dectecive Story is perfect film noir...excellent story, excellent art.
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The message from the Osiris is expanded upon in the game Enter the Matrix. And in the movie Niobe mentions it as well.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been seriously considering getting a video game system just so I can play Enter the Matrix. I want to know all this stuff.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you can wait for the walkthrough. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

aneurysm
Member # 906

- posted      Profile for aneurysm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban the question you need to ask yourself is whether or not you want to spend the money. Enter The Matrix really isnt that great a game. I'm playing it solely to see the whole story. The gameplay is VERY glitchy. The graphics aren't really that impressive. Unless your planning on butying other games for the system you buy, in which case I recommend the Gamecube. I have owned all current systems and have sold my PS2 and Xbox. The PS2 is an awful machine. The Xbox is good but there isnt the quality games that there is for GameCube. If you would be buying it just for the Matrix game then I@d just get it for the PC.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Really, the whole "scorched the sky" thing makes very little sense. If you're faced with an apocalyptic war between robots and organic life, a strategy that will ensure the extinction of 99% of that life hardly seems sound. Plus it didn't work, even a little.

http://www.machall.com/index.php?strip_id=193

Followed by...

http://www.machall.com/index.php?strip_id=194

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: was the Osiris mentioned in the Matrix Reloaded? I heard something about the Sentinels capturing the Osiris and downloading the location of Zion, thus alerting Niobe to the threat.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Question: was the Osiris mentioned in the Matrix Reloaded? I heard something about the Sentinels capturing the Osiris and downloading the location of Zion, thus alerting Niobe to the threat.

Um, Osiris detected the AI's drilling activity/plan and alerted Zion.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niobe mentions the Osiris in the gathering after which Agent Smith delivers his earpiece.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:

They didn't capture the Osiris, they tor it to bits.
Also, the machines seamed to already know exactly where Zion was.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps