Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Terminator 3 *NO $$$* (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Terminator 3 *NO $$$*
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Which means that he didn't send his own father back in time, he sent a man back in time that wiped out his existence and created a totally different John Connor that just happened to serve the same historical purpose.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
The whole overriding Terminator storyline was as planned as a head cheerleader's baby after a night of elbowy, pale necking on Makeout Mountain in High School All-American Quarterbackstar Chad Kurk's 1969 Pontiac GTO GO GO Flamerbirdersupercar.

It's like taking a piece of lego, a tinkertot wheel and a linking log and trying to make a castle fort.

will you marry me?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes sense. I would guess that the original John Conner from Timeline A was still Sarah's son, just by a different man. When Reese came back had his night of naughty with Sarah, it wiped out the original John Connor and created a new child. Sarah, of course, named him John because that's what Reese told her that her son would be named.

Oh... one more thing... what was the rational behind making T3's model 101 a T-850 instead of a T-800 like the other 2?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah, John Connor is the result of a pre-destination paradox. He had to send Reese back to ensure his own existance.

I admit it gets confusing because things keep getting changed. The timeline stays the same, so far in T1 & T2 attempts to altered in fact caused it to happen.

For example: John sends Reese back in time to protect his mother. Sarah would eventually tell John the truth about his father which is why he was chosen.
Reese and Sarah destroy the Terminator, but its technology is discovered by Cyberdyne who would eventually develope Skynet. In a sense, Reese was sent back to create John and the Terminator was sent back which lead to Skynet and its own creation.
Furthermore, John only exists because of the war. If Judgement Day and the war were truely stopped John would cease to exist. There would be no war, no Terminator ever built to kill Sarah and Reese would have never been sent back.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Oh... one more thing... what was the rational behind making T3's model 101 a T-850 instead of a T-800 like the other 2?

Where was that mentioned?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm. But can you have a timeline that includes both a predestination paradox and an alternate universe? Because the latter is certainly created when JC (heh) sends the Terminator back in T2. JC knew that "the future is not set" so, while he could send Reese back in the safe assumption that he would end up shagging Sarah, he couldn't know what effect the Terminator's interaction with his teenage self and his other would have. Otherwise he oculd have programmed in the info about the silent alarm being triggered at Cyberdyne and they wouldn't have nearly gotten cornered by the SWAT guys.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Connor's existence may be a pre-destination paradox, but the thing about PDPs is that, while they're possible, there has to be an original timeline to get things started. Timeline A, John Connor-A wins, sends Reese back in time. Timeline B, John Connor-B wins and sends Reese back in time. He's responsible for his own existence, but someone else started the loop.

Similarly, Skynet sent the Terminator back, and that terminator caused Skynet's existence, which is also a PDP. However, in the meta-original timeline A, Skynet-A was developed in the natural course of technological evolution, just as John Connor-A was born without temporal interference. Skynet sent the Terminator back in time, and caused its own existence EARLIER than it would have otherwise occured.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time travel is really very confusing, isn't it?

I would be interested to hear why exactly everything seems to happen in and around LA. I mean John Conner and at least however many additional targets the T-X have all live in and around LA (based on the presumption that the T-X knew it only had a limited amount of time before Judgement Day to hunt and kill those people). And they're just the important ones who live in the area.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time travel is really very confusing, isn't it?

I would be interested to hear why exactly everything seems to happen in and around LA. I mean John Conner and at least however many additional targets the T-X have all live in and around LA (based on the presumption that the T-X knew it only had a limited amount of time before Judgement Day to hunt and kill those people). And they're just the important ones who live in the area.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which year was T1 set in, again? According to Reese, the T-800s start rolling of the assembly lines forty years later... if Skynet really pushed back its own inception date by sending Evil Ahnuld to kill Sarah, the model 101 Terminators (including Good Ahnuld) should also appear earlier in the alternate (T2) timeline, no?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Model 101 Terminator from T3 is referred to as a T-850 in all the publicity materials as well as on the toys packaging made by McFarlane.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that does not make him any less of a penis sausage.

I'd buy a Miracleman figure with my own kidneys, though.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And he calls himself a T-101 in the film.

MAYBE PEOPLE WERE CONFUSED!!!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
Which year was T1 set in, again? According to Reese, the T-800s start rolling of the assembly lines forty years later... if Skynet really pushed back its own inception date by sending Evil Ahnuld to kill Sarah, the model 101 Terminators (including Good Ahnuld) should also appear earlier in the alternate (T2) timeline, no?

1984, I think (not sure whether that was just because that was the year it was released or if it was a reference to Orwell). BTW, I was looking at the special features disk for T1 and early '80s trailers were realy bad.

According to the T3 website, the T-800 is the all metal one seen in the future war sequences.

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Mmm. But can you have a timeline that includes both a predestination paradox and an alternate universe?

I would say hell no. Either 1)the changes you make in the past have already happened�they are your history before you actually travel�and you cannot alter the past, or 2) you can change time, creating an alternate timeline different from the one that existed before you messed with time. Therefore I agree with the opinion that the original John Connor was a different man (had a different father) and fortunately the John Connor that replaced him (Reese�s son) followed in his predecessor�s footsteps (or rather was pushed in them by his mom and Skynet�the original JC may have been the sort of individual who�d have ended up a great leader no matter what situation he ended up in, whereas Reese�s son was made the leader of the resistance by Skynet�s own actions).

The original flick obviously subscribed to the �you can�t change time� school. They meant JC�s conception to be the result of a predestination paradox. I don�t believe there was anything in the original Terminator that deviates from this. It was the second movie that screwed things up by confirming that by traveling though time, one did change the past (create a new timeline�thus there had to be a starting point, a clean timeline preceding the altered timelines that replaced it.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps