Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Similar themes in sci-fi/fantasy epics ($$ Harry Potter & the Matrix series, et al.) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Similar themes in sci-fi/fantasy epics ($$ Harry Potter & the Matrix series, et al.)
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A homage has better funding.

I suppose that it could be argued that the Terminator films have many of the elements you're discussing; the prophesy in that John Conner knows he is destined to lead humanity to victory against the machines (the great war, although it isn't a continuation of a previous war). Removal of the mentor; could be the destruction of the T-101 in Terminator 2 or the death of Sarah Connor prior to T3.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I don't know about the entire series, but the first Terminator might (might) fit a few parts. There's a prophecy of sorts about John Connor, the hero to come who will defeat the machines. This war already happened in a different timeline with a different John Connor, so it would be a repitition of a past (meta-past, whatever) war. The machines were stopped in the first war, but if the Terminator completes its mission that won't happen. And Sarah Connor has to finish off the T-800 alone, after Reese is killed. Of course, unlike the rest of the sources I mentioned, the first Terminator movie SUCKED, but it's at least similar to the theme. Good catch. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first Terminator movie SUCKED
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Omega. This is an opinion by Omega. It is a crazy stupid mad opinion.

Anyone shocked?

No.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They still catch my immune system off-guard every time.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He possibly hates it because there were female nipples in it, and as we all know, female nipples were the creation of SATAN HIMSELF!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first Terminator movie SUCKED?! S-U-C-K-E-D?????!!!! [Mad] [Eek!]

The movie that made Arnold Schwarzenagger a movie star? The movie that made the phrase "I'll be baaaack" a household phrase? The movie that allowed James Cameron to move from B-class movie director to A-class movie director? The movie that was made for next to nothing ($6,400,000) and looks like something on screen? The movie that took a tired cliche, a computer wants to take over the world, and made it seem new again?

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not say it was the worst movie ever. I did not say that every single aspect of it was beyond redemption. I just said it sucked, not that it was worthless. The score was horrible, and for some reason I could never identify the pacing seemed very much off. Apparently that was just me. [Smile]

--------------------

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The movie that allowed James Cameron to move from B-class movie director to A-class movie director?
On second thought, I do not support this kind of movie at all.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Apparently that was just me. [Smile]

Yes it was. Now explain your musical taste abnormalities.

--------------------

Member # 239

Len is the greatest musical act in the last three thousand years.
Omega
Member # 91

The main theme from Terminator is very very very good. But the synth rendition from the original movie is horrible. Thus explained.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

No, I meant in general.

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

What, TSO and the Newsboys?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps